1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How do you clean your screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 31 Aug 2019.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Both my laptop screen (UX305CA) and main display (AW3418DW) are in desperate need of a good clean - the main display was the victim of my 1 year old spraying yogurt everywhere... Needless to say his highchair has now been moved significantly further away from the screen than it was before...

Anyway - my usual method of a gentle wipe with a dry, clean microfibre cloth hasn't done the business this time. From reading around online there are a huge number of different possible methods for getting these clean. A few sites suggest trying a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropanol alcohol. I have some distilled water arriving today and I have some 99.9% isopropanol (this) which I use predominantly for removing TIM. Has anyone tried this for themselves? Some suggest just distilled water but others suggest this leaves streaks.

Both screens are IPS and have anti-glare coatings on (TFT central describes the AW3418DW's coating as a light anti-glare coating). Would this affect the cleaning method?

Thanks in advance

George

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I use screen wipes pinched from work, or glasses cleaner wipes. If I don't gave any of those just a damp microfiber cloth that's been rinsed in hot water and wrung out pretty well, I then have a VERY soft fine cloth that came with my TV that I then use for drying off.

GeorgeK and Guest-44638 like this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I've always used a really weak solution of fairy liquid (or similar) to dampen one of them cloths used for cleaning glasses and followed behind with a dry cloth.

GeorgeK likes this.
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

What ^ said.

GeorgeK likes this.
  5. GeorgeK

Thanks for the replies gents. I have tried screen wipes before (which I had to buy - none at work to thieve borrow) which came in a tube. The first time I used them they were good but when I came to use them again all the remaining ones had dried out and were useless. Based on the replies I decided to just use a really fine microfibre cloth (I have loads of these) slightly wetted with distilled water and then dried straight away after with a second dry cloth. Perfect results :)

Edit: Also I decided to stay away from the isopropanol alcohol. It's pretty heavy duty stuff

6. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've always used a microfiber cloth with a 50% isopropyl alcohol mix. It flashes off relatively quickly without being as strong a solvent as 99%. Microfiber doesn't leave dust or scratches.

7. GeorgeK

Is that 50% alcohol with 50% water? I'll bear that in mind should I come up against any more stubborn dirt in the future

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't use isoprop it can cause cracking and crazing on some plastics.

Wilco do wipes that are very good. My method is firstly to keep my hands away from the screen and just vacuum with a soft brush. However that's not possible on most screens so I go "clear as day" wipe from Wilco (which are not too wet so don't leave marks of their own) then paper towels to dry and remove the dirt and oils (which you'll initially spread around) and then if needs be repeat.

Otherwise you'll just be spreading it around and not removing it.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

AF Safeclens and a microfibre cloth. A tin lasts for years.

Edit: Looks like it's now called AF Screen-Clene.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Never use anything other than water and a microfiber cloth. Damp wipe, then dry wipe. Harmless and effective.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Like i'm waving.

Plus a microfibre cloth, usually just after breathing on spots that need cleaning.

Bigger cleans a very lightly damped microfibre cloth.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

When a screen really needs a clean and the microfiber cloth alone isn't doing the trick, I use a 50/50 mix of Distilled White Vinegar and Purified Water. Preferably use the screen for a while so it gets a little heat then turn it off spray a small amount of the mixture onto a microfiber cloth and work away at the dirty screen. Use the same mixture on my car and house windows! Wonderful smear free results.

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ This and only this.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

15. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

It's roughly 50% because I dilute 90% down with water. It's an estimate. What I want is for the moisture to not stay on the screen. I like it to flash off quickly.

I personally prefer this to plain water because I want to wet the screen a bit more than if I just used water so that whatever is on it can dissolve and be wiped away without the possibility of being rubbed around on the surface like a piece of grit. Alcohol flashes off more quickly than plain water, so I can put it on a little more wet.

I know others are saying to not use alcohol, but I've never had a single issue. I don't clean my screens that often (I'm not sure what people are doing to get them dirty), and in 5-10 years they're still looking like new and I sell them to upgrade. If it's not going to damage it in that time, then I don't think there's a lot of reason to worry.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It depends on the plastic. Some of them crack, some don't. I used to use isoprop to put the grips on my bikes, then found one day that it turned a £30 set of grips into baggy condoms.

I know it definitely affects perspex. The stuff that melts when you cut it rather than turning into dust. I used it to clean the edges of a piece of mirror perspex and it cracked all of the edges. It's not worth the risk.

Most window cleaners have vinegar and not much more. Well, and scent and distilled water.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There is some funny **** on here at times
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Give it a good spit, make my hand into a fist and rub it with about the same force Toto Wolff punches a table.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2019
  19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Ewww... pass the mind bleach (I had to Google Toto Wolff to get the reference)

Last time I cleaned mine was because I took a big drag on a new vape flavour then proceeded to cough it directly at my monitor...

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Guessing that flavour's not a keeper...