1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Are we about to lose The Hulk? I don't think my heart can take him leaving without at least a podium finish...

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If Hulk doesn't get a drive for next year, I think everyone should let him through on the final lap of the final race, just so he can leave F1 as a winner.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Hamilton will have it sewn up by or at Austin, so why not. A 19 engine salute as he crosses the finish line.

But his engine would probably blow up 2 laps from the end.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't mind Hulk but he's very beige. He's a safe pair of hands, but he's a journeyman driver and has had his chances. He should make way for a newer prospect.

He'll make an excellent test/development driver and a reliable reserve, but he'll likely go to endurance racing or some other discipline.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think his biggest problem was that when he was in his peak, putting a Williams on pole at Brazil one year, and being in contention for victory in a Force India another, he was constantly overlooked by top teams because he was too tall and heavy. By time the rule changes to combined driver+car weights came into effect, everyone had a queue of "young driver academy" apprentices waiting in the lower formula's.

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Here's a great article on Autosport about the Hulk.

Paywall warning: https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/9517/hulkenberg-underachiever-or-wasted-talent

Agreed that he's been F1's nearly man, never had a chance in a top 3 team capable of a win but as Perez proved when they were team-mates at Fi, he managed to get 3 podiums, mostly due to his excellent tyre conservation.

It'll be a shame if he does go, especially having the unenviable record of 170 race starts without a podium.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

9. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Looks like a case of 'I need to see for myself if I AM able to do F1 again, despite injury...' but maybe it's just too much for him.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

RIP Haas. Grosjean hasnt inpressed for 2 seasons now. Between that, the Rich energy fiasco and not understanding the car Im going to call they wont make 2021 if 2020 is as poor as this season.

Feel bad for Hulk. Would have been nice to see what he could have done at a top team. Doubt lowing yourself to the Williams would be worthwhile for anyone

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Channel 4 have signed a deal with Sky to show the highlights for another couple of years, even though Sky appear to be showing highlights on Sky1 recently

13. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Having watched a football match on SkySports, the other day, I was reminded of why I avoid their F1 coverage... too much waffle/pre-amble/'post-mortem'.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I thought u got access to the F1 sky channel if you subscribed to the HD package but I tried watching at my in laws and it wouldn't let me.

I half my interest in F1 when it went pay per view.

If they charged something sensible pay per view per weekend I might be tempted but they never will I guess.

15. RedFlames

That was only a thing for the first year or so, in order to entice ppl to sign up, after that it got bundled in with the rest of the sportsball.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They need to parcel out their sports package - IDGAF about cricket, golf, football or tennis - F1 and Rugby, I'd consider paying for, if the price was a sensible portion of the whole package.

17. RedFlames

F1, Rugby possibly Cricket... Sky's coverage of the latter 2 is dire though... [not over enamoured with their F1 coverage tbh].

It's like they find the dullest ****ers imaginable from the respective sports to have on as pundits and then give them a personality bypass.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

To be honest I find Martin brundle as dull as dish water, he's knowledgeable but utterly boring. He was great with Murray though

19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Brundle and Walker were a great team at the time, but since Brundle followed money more than the sport, he's become a jaded shadow.

Ex-drivers are OK as pundits up to a point, but if their love of the sport isn't at the forefront of their career focus, they 'go off' quick...

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In total seriousness I think Haas have kept Rgro and K-Mag because they are considering packing up and going home after 2020. They had a five year plan and funding set out for that, it's two thirds of the way through year 4 and they have no title sponsor, no hope of top 3 finishes and 2021 regs look like reinforcing the top 3's advantage even further. They said in 2016 they expect F1 to take steps to make the fieldcloser but it's gotten even further apart. No point chaning the line up if next year is the end.