1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Latest Steam & General Gaming Bargains: Read first post!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AshT, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Batman Arkham collection FREE on Epic game store:

Arkham Asylum
    Arkham City
    Arkham Knight

+ 3 Batman LEGO games

goldstar0011 and Vault-Tec like this.
  2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

dang, already my egs games list is looking epic (pun intended) without spending a penny

wonder how long is this going to last, psn/xbox/humble etc have month monthly subs to cover costs

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The lack of resell is why I never buy a game on release, or even reduced, pretty much all sub £10 and freebies. I don't like the risk that I don't like a game and have played too long for a steam refund.

I bought Prey for £2 other week, don't really like it so glad I didn't waste a lot more money.

My step lad on the other hand buys games on release, completes and never returns, I'd happily pay him for a game.

Maybe steam could take a cut of a sale somehow?
    Like paypal fees?

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They already have a marketplace where they get a cut of each sale, they would just have to make them tradable there.

The far bigger issue is that Devs hate 2nd hand games with the same passion as they hate piracy (since they make 0 from both), so Valve obviously doesn't want to be the first shop to blink and allow it.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A second-hand market for digital goods is worse, from the developer's perspective, than second-hand physical sales. With physical goods, you've got a bunch of reasons to buy new. Maybe it came with a limited edition feely the previous owner kept. Maybe it's in poor condition. Maybe they lost the manual. (Hah! Like anyone gives you manuals any more.) Maybe you've got to go meet the seller to pick it up, and you can't be faffed leaving the house today. Maybe you don't want to risk the seller ripping you off, or the game getting lost 'cos he used Honest Dave's Discount Courier Service.

With digital, a second - or third, or fifth, or septillionth - hand copy is... absolutely identical to new. In which case... why buy new?

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

When a new windows version breaks compatibility and you have to buy the remaster / remake:naughty:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

According to that one Court though that would only need to happen once as Gamer A could then pass the licence to Gamer B who then passes it to Gamer C... which is why the whole idea of reselling digital goods doesn't really work.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That is precisely what that one Court demands from Valve (and only from Valve because ehhh reasons).

10. oscy

oscy Modder

If ever there was a reason to stop Brexit... Although I don't imagine Valve would be bothered paying £500k just to ignore it, I don't know what the next punishment is after six months.

Also, more free Epic games? The internet warriors must be outraged.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That wouldn't help, if reselling digital games actually became a legit thing then publishers would stop selling them and rape your wallet in perpetuity on streaming services instead.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

You can buy and sell anything 2nd hand, why should digital be any different.

When hard copies were a thing there was no arguement, I bought and sold all sorts of 2nd hand games, Xbox play station, Nintendo...why should digital claim to be different.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Anyhow, back to free / cheap games, Downwell is currently free on the Google Play Store (for 5 more days).

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Freespace 2 is... well, free on GOG.com for the next day or so.

Yaka likes this.
  15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

god that game brings back memories.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Metro 2033 Redux and "Everything" free on Epic Games this week.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

just a heads up for peeps who use humble bundle earned wallet credit now has expiry dates of around 6 months

18. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

This month's Humble Bundle looks pretty good! Call of Duty. World War 2, Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy and Spyro Reignited Trilogy as early unlocks for less than a tenner.

Yaka likes this.
  19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

also RDR2 anounced for pc on all platforms with steam getting a one month wait. suprised epic didnt not try to tie this one to egs.

stunning game but falls short on a few story missions being a pain in the arse to complete unlike the first game which got everything spot on, still jaw dropping to just to waist time riding a horse

20. oscy

oscy Modder

They did. It's available in a few select stores including Epic. But if you're indoctrinated and compelled to buy it on the once-great Steam, you have to wait until a month after release.

Keep in mind Rockstar have their own launcher / store but even if they didn't they wouldn't need Epic or anyone to sell their game, so they're not gonna give exclusivity or any big share!