1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam X4 Foundations Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anfield, 28 Aug 2017.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

So Haven't played this since December, just wondering if there are any recommended mods etc that I should look for before I start a new game?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

3. oscy

oscy Modder

Haven't played this at all yet! Rebirth burned me bad and X3 was graphically awesome but also very bland and lacking in variety compared to X2 especially. Is X4 more X2 (variety and perhaps not wholly scientifically accurate star systems and objects), X3 (beautiful but samey) or Rebirth (abortion)?

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ooh, this had gone off my radar - thought i'd wait a while before patches and the like. Next on the list for me i think.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I've not heard good things, but it has been patched a lot. X Rebirth was complete crap. I enjoyed X3 and put 100s of hours in building a trading fleet and learning to shipjack rare ships with marines.

If it has some of the X3 features like ship capping I will take the plunge

Edit: looks like, as with X3, patching has seen this become quite a gem

Will definitely get it on next sale.

6. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I now have had some time to play this game after spraining my ankle and have a couple of queries.
    1, Is anyone else experiencing any "motion sickness" while roaming the space stations? I've never had this issue before precept years ago with really poor monitors at work and bad refresh rates.
    2, Is there any option for G-sync that I'm missing I have variable vsync enabled but still locked at 60hz.

I have also worked out why I was teleporting back to my ship in stations and it's not a bug, pressing "shift + d" is teleport to ship and I was hittting d while trying to sprint :duh:.

As for bugs so far no issues in 4 hours of play! Pretty good for an X game under 5 years old.:eyebrow:

Pete J and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

I may be able to help with that at least - rebind W to run instead of walk (remove it from there completely).

No need to walk on those stations.

Edit: Not been on for a couple of weeks, did you pick up the new Split Vendetta dlc? Not got it myself yet.

8. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Good ideal with the rebind, simple and effective. Thanks.

I bought the "gold" pack or whatever they called it pre-release so yes I have the spilt DLC but as I only really started the game in the last few days have no real experience of the base game to compare to. I now need to hobble out to the workshop and upstairs to find my X52 to be able to play properly.

9. adidan

Well I think i'll have to pick up Vendetta, it's a bit weird not having the old Split lurking around.

Think i'll hop back on this week or next after finishing a few jobs around the house. I have been really enjoying being back in an X game - not played on since Terran Conflict.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm...

I do have Everspace to get through...

And Star Citizen is taking its time, not to mention without my (now sold) 1080Ti SLI setup, playing in a surround gaming resolution is choppy (going to have to wait for the 3080Ti to drop for my eGPU setup)....

Meh. I'll wait for this to drop to a fiver.

11. adidan

May be a while yet but then it sounds like you've got plenty to keep you going. :)

That said Terran Conflict is 12 years old and still £16 on Steam.

12. creative

creative 500rwhp

Just d/l this myself and just starting out with it.

So far im enjoying it but sooo much to learn.

13. adidan

Yeah the X series often have a lot to take on. I think this one has a bit less than X3 to be honest.

Worth it though.

14. oscy

oscy Modder

My only question is whether it's as good as X, X2 and X3.

Those were all good for many different reasons though. X was just awe-inspiring being the first, X2 had all that variety in its systems, and X3 had the graphics (but sacrificing the variety, which even the developers lamented when I asked them) and proper ability to have fleets and take over / eradicate entire systems in epic space battles.

15. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

So possibly my issue with the motion sickness was caused by a combination of Tramadol (for a sprained ankle) and wearing an old pair of glasses.
    Still finding my feet with the game but enjoying it so far.

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

Yeah, that may do it :worried::happy:

17. creative

creative 500rwhp

The best starter advice I saw.... Fly to an asteroid belt and mine the small crystals. Can get 1million in about 30 minutes searching and that will help you buy a miner.... im upto 8 miners in 1 night of playing and has been a big help in getting a steady income stream.... and it was very theraputic just floating around the asteroids searching.

18. creative

creative 500rwhp

Well... its starting to get a bit grindy.... which really puts me off games, sooooo..... its amazing what you can do with notepad++ and the save file! Time to go order my armada and go rogue!

19. oscy

oscy Modder

Since the very first game (if it had it...), I have always used the money cheat. Some people enjoy that grind somehow...

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

To be fair, I think a sizeable proportion of the community do this as they want to try out different things. And why not? It's a sandbox game!
    "The journey is the reward."

I enjoy the grind! Though Terran Conflict was better at this than previous X series games. Feck me, X2 The Threat and X3 Reunion, the grinding you had to do to get ranks in ANYTHING :jawdrop:.