1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Put an order in on the 14th, expected delivery was yesterday, no tracking info give. Chased it this morning turns out its not even been sent despite paying extra for a quicker delivery. They now wont sent it for next day and instead are putting it for delivery "maybe" Tuesday.
    Well Enjoy your one star review if the delivery appears. PETTY VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE!

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

To add to this, baby developed a snuffle overnight and spent half of it rolling around trying to get comfortable, failing, then crying. So less than 5 hours sleep!

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Still 2 weeks away from getting paid, and not sure if gas and electric will last the weekend. And barring my pc all the stuff i have worth selling i've already sold.

Right now i just want to crawl into a hole.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

PWM fan control
    i just upgraded my Cooling solution in my TJ08-E ( upgrading to an AP183 intake Fan ) i went into the Bios to set up a fan curve ( the old fans came with a speed switch ) to find out for some Bizarre reason, on my Maximus V Gene 60% is minimum fan speed and anything lower comes up as 'invalid' i can set it to silent which spins it slower than 60%, but then it doesnt seem to ramp up when gaming / Benchmarking so it rather renders it moot the Old fan used to run at ~600 rpm which was fairly nice and quiet, but even in ''silent'' mode the 183 spins at around 1100rpm and is LOUD at that RPM

i figured Corsair Link might be able to control PWM fans ( which it CAN but only those directly wired to the unit itself unless you pay for the Corsair Link so that was out

went and installed Speedfan next, and while i can find the PWM fans in the 'advanced' tab, when i go to look for it under Fan control ( like the Tutorial video shows, its not listed ) i can set it to manual set the speed to whatever i want and it works but i want it to be running at low speed and ramp up when temps rise so manual is useless to me, the other two options 'speed cruiser and temp cruise' both pin the fan to 100% and hold it there so Speedfan is a no-go

Went to find Asus own AI suite, which has been updated, and the new update doesnt support my current motherboard and i cant find the Legacy edition, nor the Disk that came with my Pc

TLDR, spent money on PWM fans, cannot set them up because of Asus stupidity and i either have to go back to my old fan ( meaning ive just wasted money ) or put up with a pc that sounds like its trying to take off, even at idle

Edit, just found a Copy of Ai Suite 2 off a rather dodgy looking website, installed it and mangaged to get it running in compatibility mode, Fan Xpert 2 runs ok, but again, i can only set it to 50% (1000rpm), and no lower, if i go RPM fix mode i can go all the way down to 500RPM which is really nice and quiet, but its only 500rpm till 75c, then its all the way to 100% again i can tell the 'smart' software to auto stop the fan, but the moment it passes the temp threshold, its right up to 50% where id like it on 20% all the time

Last edited: 21 Sep 2019
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

PWM fans have a minimum speed. Any lower and basically they won't spin up.

I'm sure you know how it works, but the pulse basically sends "on" signals to the fan. So on......on.......on for slow and on.on.on for fast.

However too low and certain fans won't spin up at all. They just jerk a bit.

This is why I went back to 3 pin, as it didn't have the noise of certain PWM fans. Vardar comes to mind. Any way, anything less than 5v and my BQs will stall out but 6 is perfect.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is all very true, but if I'm not mistaken then the issue here is that ASUS's BIOS fan control is/was rubbish and sets the minimum speed way too high. As an example, for my Z170i board both the BIOS and the AISuite software set the minimum speed for my CPU fans at 30% (which is 600rpm for my Noctua NF-A9s) whereas the fans themselves are rated for a minimum speed of 400rpm (which would be 20%).

What I'd probably do in this situation is whack a low-noise adaptor into the mix.

7. lilgoth89

its not just the start up voltage, i tested with a multitude of fans, ( even my dinky 40mm fans for my Printer ) and something about the Motherboard will not let software set a speed below 50% for.... reasons even ''silent'' speed is still over 1000rpm

The only way i can set a speed lower than is manually, and the fan is happy to continue spinning at lower speeds, ( its currently spinning at 500rpm ) but the moment the softwere disengages, it ramps back to 100%, same on startup

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hmm Aqua Computer Power Adjust 3 PWM?

The software is stellar.

9. lilgoth89

and a randomer on the internet makes the save without having to buy anything

Seems when Asus built the fan control software for the Bios they decided that the chassis fans should only be able to spin at a minimum of 60% in the bios
    BUT intel stock coolers exist and are LOUD ( and if you are using one of those on an ROG mobo you are doing it wrong ) so they decided to let you set CPU fans down to 20% for... REASONS

so a little cable swapping later and Bam! my intake fan is now a Cpu optional fan and the system is lovey and quiet again although the H80i GT is making some high pitched whine now, i think a little air might have gotten in during all the moving so i will leave it pump down for a day or so to encourage the bubbles out

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Glad you got it sorted. Interestingly, your board seems to do it the opposite way round to mine - the BIOS on my board lets you stop case fans completely (and will let them run at a minimum of 15% when they do spin up) but won't let the CPU fan drop below 30%.

Christ knows why Asus decided for your board that chassis fans have to run at 60% though, that's just bonkers.

11. legoman

It is bizarre, my lower end Giggblebit board only has two headers but treats the individually. Least its sorted.

On the H80i GT, while its down give it a few taps during the day should helps loosen any stubborn bubbles, along with if you can triggering the pump while holding the radiator aloft.

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

for the version on handbrake we use for benchmarking the CLI and GUI versions produce different results using the same preset. Make automating it a pain as I may have to resort to mouse clicks instead of the CLI.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can't you automate the clicking?

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's what I'm thinking I'm going to need to resort to. Everything else I did worked perfectly over the CLI. I may as well switch from a batch file to powershell at this rate

15. legoman

Ordered a set of brakes for the bike on the 14th, long story short I'm still waiting on them despite being assured they would be here today.
    Seller has ignored my requests for tracking details until I said I'm raising a dispute, suddenly I get tracking details.
    But the details don't work as DHL haven't received the package yet :rollingeyes: So in other words they were just stalling for what ever reason. Now to see if the number actually works later and if the actual correct brakes turn up, I'm betting they will be missing something now.

16. lilgoth89

pulled my Motherboard out so i could get the air out of my AIO cooler block

when re-installing the motherboard i suddenly remember why i hate Mobo-installation. the F*%£!# of the front io panel
    how is it that after years of the ATX standard, nobody has come up with a universal connector for the power and reset switches, and the Power hdd activity led's yet ( like we have with USB, front panel Audio etc ) so you often end up with the multi-colour wires connecting Spaghetti fashion to the mobo
    it wouldnt be that hard to make a conversion kit, you could just have a connector, with nice sleeved connectors to a block behind the Mobo, similar to Asus old Q connectors

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Ebay seller perchance?

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

1. Buy these (The 10-way version of the shells).
    2. Follow this howto video:-

You can do the same for other plugs for front audio/USB2 etc

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Agreed those front panel connectors are a real pita. I find the socket idents for the front panel near impossible to see and have to use the iPad, with the diagram in the manual zoomed in, so I can see where to connect the wires on the motherboard. A single block would make things much easier.

20. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

These are a gold mine waiting to be (re-)discovered... esp. if the pin-out is part of an ATX standard.