1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU What CPU's can I install into this MB that is better than a i7 8700k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kuroidoragon, 16 Sep 2019.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Moar VR!

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Here is a crazy suggestion. How about not spending money for the sake of it and just enjoying what you already have?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah, it'll never catch on.

bawjaws likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*whispers * there's always watercooling...

:naughty:

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I tried this approach recently, it's surprisingly hard after being conditioned into spending on *new*, or even *best* for many years. Even worse, the longer you don't spend, the more money you have available to spend.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think you're absolutely right that we are conditioned to "upgrade" constantly even when it's not really beneficial, because the enthusiast PC industry is all about features rather than benefits. It's quite hard to take a step back from that sometimes and decide whether spending an extra £x on the next model up of component y is actually going to give you any real-world advantage to outweigh that extra spending.

And of course, being conditioned to buy *best* all of the time is particularly bad news, because within a year or so *best* becomes *second best* and there's a new *best* to spend your cash on...

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's all been made very easy for me. There is no GPU worth me upgrading to because of greed. Sooner or later it's not fun any more and you become far more cautious.

RTX prices are ridiculous. Not only that but they have literally stalled the market. Even if I could afford the £1200 or so price tag (which I'll admit I can't, no shame in that) I could think of a million things I'd rather spend it on. I used to love upgrading once a year, but as I said this just isn't fun any more.

So maybe Nvidia could make money on RTX slowly but it's totally dull being like that.

I preferred turn and burn, not over priced over lived. It's just not exciting at all. Usually we'd get news of the next GPU or a juicy tidbit but now? Absolute radio silence. Bugger all.

How rubbish.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I miss the 90s when hardware made significant improvement from year to year.
    My next upgrade is a larger 4k TV (from a 42" 1080p), Upgrading my speakers from my computer speakers (Microlabs Fc360), upgrading to from 16GB to 32GB and lastly, a GPU that doesn't need to be underclocked to not crash in gaming.

I would suggest, larger M.2 drive, monitor upgrade, computer chair, bias lighting, speakers, room art... a good "gaming" scotch like Aberlour A'Bunadh, Yamazaki or Lagavulin 16.

9. Vault-Tec

I've bought all of that but the scotch. I don't drink. Seriously if you had asked me five years ago if I'd ever buy a Herman Miller embody I'd have told you I'd rather sit on a box and buy more hardware.

My entire PC is ssd based, even when prices were high. I bought the most expensive keyboard I could find, three consoles etc etc.

The PC market really is that boring.

So we have all of these new CPUs. Boring. I can get a £135 Xeon that performs like a 1920x without buying a new mobo or 3000mhz b die memory. That's how boring that is. I mean, no diss to AMD but man it's hardly like I'm begging them to take my money for something I wouldn't even notice.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you can't improve the computer, improve everything around you and the computer, or improve yourself.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This might sound strange, but I really don't miss it - because a decent CPU and GPU bought today will last you for many years of faithful service, whereas back in the day they'd be outstripped by the next generation (let alone by gear that was three or four gens newer).

Yeah, the PC market might be boring, but as someone who these days just wants to use my PC rather than faff about tweaking stuff or upgrading constantly, I'm quite content :)

This hits the nail on the head for me, too. The latest and greatest Ryzen CPUs might be really impressive technical achievements and offer superb value for money, but if they aren't going to give me any noticeable benefit over my current CPU (released almost four years ago) then I'm not going to get too excited about them :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I scratch my itch at work these days, as we're doing a lot of stuff with AI and thats the new fast evolving market. My PC I just want to work. I got tried of upgrades and tinkering, I just want something I fiddle with once and then its set for half a decade!

bawjaws likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

The last time I felt the difference was when I used a 4560? Quad core Haswell for some of my rather heavy multi tasking. I could totally tell it wasn't my 14 core CPU. Start ripping and re encoding music whilst listening to music and watching a YT vid with the sound muted and etc. I soon felt it lagging.

And given that's what I mostly do I can't see a new CPU making it feel any better. Faster? More productive? Maybe, but I'm not in a race I just don't want my pc to feel shitty whilst I'm doing my stuff. Music aids with the longer time I guess.

Same goes for gaming. My games never feel slow or laggy or stutter. Stuff I would 100% notice immediately. I don't frame watch any more I just use my blessed (if you could call it that) autistic instincts. If I'm feeling ill it's not right lol.