1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 27 Mar 2019.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Agree with all of the above. I'm playing it on PC with all settings at Ultra (where applicable) and it's mostly below 60fps at 1440p, so the game needs good hardware to run smooth.

The graphics are incredible, especially the lighting and the texture detail. The game plays VERY differently from BL2, and this is particularly noticeable with gun handling and motion blur... I find it more difficult to aim, but it feels like more of an achievement when you kill an enemy horde.

I'm playing as Amara (siren) and even early on the action skills and skill tree building are fantastic. They've knocked this one out of the park for sure... GOTY is on the horizon.

Here's a screen at 1440p... that detail tho.
    [​IMG]

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I know it's been said but the weapons are unreal. My buddy has this rocket launcher gun that sounds like a space ship flying by in space invaders. I've got this glowing purple and pink neon gun that fires neon balls that explode.

I'm so glad they listened and fixed the only thing I could complain about in the first two - weapons. They've not polished it into a turd like Bethesda did with FO4, needlessly adding toot to try and make it similar to other games.

Looking forward to tonight's session :)

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Really loving it too, it's just Borderlands but better. You can REALLY see where the devs spent time in other games seeing what worked (Doom style map, Destiny gunplay, etc.).

If you can't drive in Borderlands like me, be aware there are vehicle control options. After getting frustrated at walking everywhere because my friends love the single-seaters and even after 10yrs I cannot drive in Borderlands (or Halo) at allllll it was a joy to switch to 3rd person steering and suddenly it's like driving a Sparrow in Destiny and a million times more comfortable! There's so many options in the menu, I love it!

The only issues I've/we've had have been optimization issues. One person has a low spec PC and she takes forever to load in and so misses intro scenes for all new locations (when her game was full screen it crashed every time we transitioned which was not ideal, but windowed fixed that), everyone who isn't host has frame drops when we're in cars, etc. But I'm sure these can be worked on in time.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah it's typical of a new game to have various bugs / teething problems, but I've had nothing other than slow loading each time I fire up the game (VRAM takes a while at each new location in-game). I read that the new so-called "optimized for Borderlands 3" Nvidia drivers are actually causing the game to crash, which is great beacuse I've not updated my drivers yet lol. I'm also running in Windows 7, so DX11 all the way for me. Apparently DX12 is also causing problems, so if you're on Windows 10 you should run with the DX11 API.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Turning down Volumetric Fog in the settings is apparently a bit of a magic bullet to improve performance, just FYI.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Hex

That wasn't ever switched on for me, my PC specs mean the game defaulted to Very Low anyway!

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

But... everyone needs volumetric fog :idea:

(And I'll try it out - thanks lol)

8. Vault-Tec

I've mastered the driving now. It's literally aim and push. The problem I had was over steering, then compensating for it, then steering into a wall etc. It's akin to a remote control car.

We played for another four hours on Sat night/Sunday morning. I love the new worlds. Won't go into it as spoilers, but yeah love how they've done it.

I also started to notice more and more detail on my gun. It's just nuts.. It has a little petrol engine on the gun and when you start to fire the bullets come out cold. Well, they're blue plasma balls. If you hold down the trigger the little engine kicks into life and heats them up. So one minute you're firing freeze balls, the next you are setting people on fire. If you hold the trigger too long and over heat the bar you pull out a water pistol with the other hand and squirt the engine to cool it down.

And that's just one weapon.

9. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Can only echo everyones sentiments - loving it so far. Playing co-op with my son as Zane and doing a clone/barrier build with action skill buffs and team buffs and shredding face with a few choice weps. So many little details here and the movement flexibility is refreshing. This'll definitely be getting my time for a long time.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The art style is surprisingly realistic - it makes extensive use of photo textures in the environments, and the lighting is PBR so you don't get more "3D" than that.. Granted, some textures are very graphic-novel-esque and yeah, the outlines and pen strokes are not for everyone... but I love it. Give me this over the ultra-beige alternatives any day.

I've just hit level 17 and cruised past a big boss that was impossible when I was level 15, and I got some insane loot along the way. I had to level up, so running through some of the maps and going all Rambo on the enemies was a thoroughly enjoyable way to tick that box.

11. Vault-Tec

Yeah it's no holds barred alright. In BL2 the combat built progressively. In this? It's MDK from the get go. It's like it properly follows BL2.

Those big bastards are gits though. Some of them require 2 mech suit servings of rockets and missiles lol.

I read somewhere that the levels lacked diversity. Which makes no sense. How can you be in a huge city one minute, then on the great wall of China and that has no diversity?

I swear people get paid to whine these days.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Lulz.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The big bosses are pretty tough, but I lucked out on one of them yesterday with a game-breaking glitch:

I was up against Billy the Anointed for the first time, not realising how tough he is, so after dying a couple of times I went online to see what strategies worked for people. I lured Billy into the large room with balconies, and managed to whittle his health down to about 50% by hiding upstairs in an alcove he can't teleport into. All of a sudden he vanished, and Troy starts his "whatever" speech... No loot for me, but a very easy boss fight lol.

And yeah, there's a fair bit of criticism being levelled at BL3, but it seems that most of it is from gamers who are not BL fans to begin with, so go figure. The developers really did go all-out on this title, and I'm loving every minute of it.

14. Vault-Tec

I think the funniest complaint so far has been that it's crap because Handsome Jack isn't in it.

He's dead, FFS.

15. Hex

Finally finished the main story last night. Was level 42 at the end and it took us about 35hrs ish (in about 5x6hr+ streams). We did some side-quests, but not all of them. Surprised we finished so close to 50! So now getting to the cap is our next mission before we start delving in to TVHM.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Level 42...?! I've just hit level 26 and already feel like I've done a solid playthrough. The game is unbelievably packed.

Hex likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

We're at level 23 now. We kind of brick walled by becoming too focused on the main story and our weapons weren't cutting it any more so we had to do some grind. It was easy grind though and good fun doing side quests. I now have four orange legendary weapons which are much more suitable for enemies higher in level.

TBH I didn't really laugh much until we'd gotten to some side quest about some girl's diary and she started talking about the fart cave. I guess that's when my inner child happened and we got the giggles.

Some absolutely mental boss fights so far.

18. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I'm about to hit level 20, having tons of fun so far.

As mentioned a few times, the boss fights are incredible. Just as the game gets a whiff of being a tad repetitive they throw in an outrageous, 15-20 minute long boss fight.

I will say, even on easy/normal, being a couple of levels above the recommended level certainly makes it more enjoyable. I done the whole Killavolt thing at I think level 16 and he nearly had me a couple of times.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've just hit level 30 and I think I'm getting pretty near the end of the story. I can understand the appeal of the boss fights as an escape from the monotony of the FPS experience, but to be honest it starts to wear a little thin for me, especially if they're pretty close together. But it's a minor complaint... I still love the game and it's probably a close second for me (next to the original, of course).

I'll probably finish the story this weekend and look forward to what comes next!

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I took a little time off BL3 to play other games... went back to it yesterday to do the final push and completed the story at level 35. Having played only one character and one (technically "half") playthrough, the game is phenomenal and I'd easily rank it among the best FPS games I've ever played. There are some performance issues and driver problems, but all in all I'd highly recommend it.

Hex likes this.