1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Indoor security camera

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 23 Sep 2019.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Recently got a puppy and he'll soon be spending more time in the house by himself during the day (sadly still got to go to work).
    I'd quite like to keep an eye on him so I'm looking for a camera to put up that I can access remotely.

What do people recommend? I don't necessarily need to record the footage, but I do have a Synology NAS so if it's compatible with their surveillance station that would be a plus.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use this cheapo one to keep an eye on our puppy for same reasons, works really well, it is only on 2.4Ghz wireless though.

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I had already put than in my basket this morning as a possible option.
    Not worried about it being 2.4GHz as it'll probably only be about 6ft from the router.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I had some Yi Home 1080p cameras on sale on here which I removed as I found a use for them again but they were also perfectly decent. No pan/tilt/zoom but good enough. Not much help if you need them now but those sort of cameras are always reduced quite considerably when you get to Black Friday etc

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Yeah I looked at those also. A camera won't need to pan/tilt/zoom as we've set up a pen around his crate so he's in more of an enclosed area.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Fair enough. I think you can record to micro sd with the Yi Home only - no network recording afaik. The mobile app is relatively easy to get going with too and can be accessed from anywhere. The windows desktop app wasn't too bad either. Does need installing though on a PC if you're going down that route - no browser based access (in case you were thinking of using a work PC for example)

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well I can recommend, picture quality is good, pan tilt and zoom works quite well, you can go through the time line and check movements etc

And I just checked it on my phone to discover my Cavapoo has escaped....Grrr, clever pup.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2019
  8. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Ha, ours is a Cavapoo as well. How old is yours?

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

4.5 months, got home no damage, pup is fine, could see she was having a good go at latches outside and then tried the door inside....which someone did not lock :duh:

I exported a vid of the mornings escape as a demo but it doesn't look as good a quality as on the phone, perhaps as I have not paid for the premium service?

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Ha, brilliant.