1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Access 2 broadband connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greentrident, 31 Jul 2019.

1. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

So I'm downloading Kingdom Come: Deliverance on my 4G LTE connection connected via CAT5 (7hrs to go!) and my kids want ot play Minecraft on the LAN - which is the BT ADSL line accessed wirelessly. So normally this means pausing the 4G download and switching the connection to the BT system. Is it possible to do this differently? Could I have the download carry on in the background whilst the kids use the BT system for Minecraft?

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yes in theory you can be connected to wifi and wired connections at the same time. They need to run a different IP address on each. Wired connections will always take priority over wireless so you won't need to futz around with static IP addresses.

I believe that 4G router uses 192.168.1.x by default - and IIRC you're on BT which also means you're on 192.168.1.x so I'd suggest editing the settings on the 4G router to change it's own IP to 192.168.2.x or 192.168.0.x - the DHCP stuff usually automatically switches but if you lose all connection, you will need to temporarily set a static IP on your PC in the same IP range, and then update the DHCP settings too.

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

OK - that sounds like it wold be worth trying - if it doesnt' work it's no great loss!

Zoon likes this.
  4. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

OK - to add complication to this the EE router requires some sort of EE login to adjust settings! Not sure how to get round that. The other complication is BT have sent me a new smarthub since i decided I needed to keep the stable landline broadband and the sporadic but fast 4G - so I'm wondering if there's anythign I can do with my old homehub 4 to use it as a bridge for one or other (or both) connections.

Tags: