1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Should I replace my Logitech G15?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 27 Sep 2019.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

After many years i'm still rocking the G15 and it's never skipped a beat and even still comes with support for some games and hardware monitoring tools!

It's seen several iterations of computer upgrades, monitor upgrades and even mouse upgrades over the years but I think it's time it retired.

It's my daily driver and hasn't missed a beat but i'm wondering if there is anything out there that would make typing a little more comfortable?

Are mechanical keyboards all that? Any recommendations?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Personally, I think so - but, then again, I'm coming from the perspective of someone who writes a bajillion words a day rather than a gamer.

I've used a fair number of different keyboards over the years: rubber domes, Alps switches, Cherry switches, "Cherry" switches, scissor switches, hybrid switches... For me, the key feature is that the activation feels 'crisp' - which is why I gravitate towards tactile switch types like Cherry MX Blue. I've used Cherry MX Browns and Blacks, and don't like how 'vague' they feel without that click at the activation point - though I did spend quite a long time using a melty ergonomic keyboard with Cherry MX Blacks in it when my fingers were playing up. Really fancy rewiring the thing with Blues - or, even better, Greens - instead, but I'm worried I'd break it!

That said, I'm typing right now on an over-30-year-old IBM Model F with its lovely buckling springs - so the idea that the Logitech G15 has reached its retirement age makes me smile!

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My space bar has been playing up on the G15 so I also need to replace but don't want to use the little LCD, what alternatives are there, Logitech don't seem to have a replacement.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I went from a G15 to a mechanical (1st of many) and I wouldn't go back that's for sure. I still have a G510 up in my spares cupboard but it never comes out.

Couldn't stand losing the LCD panel on the G15 though (especially as my Z10 speakers died) so I re-utilised it.

You might not want to cut yours up though if its still working :)

5. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I do a lot of coding so it will be used quite a lot (~12 hrs a day).

Old keyboards were made to last, I can't deny that. Do you ever get any problems with multiple key combinations?

I think i'll have to take a trip down to a PCWorld over the next few days and try a couple out. Is there a brand I should look out for? Don't really want to order a keyboard online to get it and be dissapointed.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nup: 6-key rollover, according to the test I just carried out by pressing as many number keys as I could in a row. The lack of F11, F12, and Alt. Gr is a bigger annoyance, as are applications that aren't coded to understand the Keypad Cursor as an actual cursor input, and not having a Super key was annoying until I told Linux to use the Caps Lock key as one (Shift-Caps Lock still activates Caps Lock when I need it, which ain't often.)

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

For me yes, since going mechanical haven't looked back.
    Have taken in my own mech to replace the one at work etc.

But I did fall down the hole for a while, customising them, trying different layouts etc, so be careful! :p

In terms of recommendations, depends on your needs.
    Layout I like at least TKL or smaller, and I tend to prefer heavier over ligher switches, use blacks at work and blues at home as I like the click :)

Best bet would be see if you could try some out, get a feel for them.

In terms of brands again depends what you want, filko make nice professional looking boards, ducky a little less so but still quite nice, lots of options.

I use a CM Quickfire rapid at work, which looks a little more 'gamer-y' but it's never been an issue. Ducky Mini at home with some custom caps.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm sure I've seen some assorted mechanical switch sampler boards that you can find floating around, if a brick and mortar store doesn't have one to try.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

"Should"? I'd go with no.
    The practical advantages of a mechanical keyboard over a decent membrane one with a similar form factor are marginal to none for most people. If you're happy with your G15 I don't think there is any compelling objective reason to change.

That said, if you do fancy a change and think you might prefer the feel of a mechanical board then sure, go for it. It's just keyboards are a pretty mature technology, so (as you've found already) if you have something that is good quality already "upgrading" is more of a preference thing than an actual upgrade.

10. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

My objective is more perference to be honest. The G15 key presses require quite a decent amount of effort and when coding for extended periods of time can become a little tiresome compared to using my laptops keyboard which seem much lighter (DellXPS15).

Would like to try a mechanical switch with short throw to make day to day usage a little more comfortable.

The G15 has been an excellent keyboard, don't get me wrong. I think it may be time for a change for comfort rather than requirement.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ducky is the best choice as they are the only brand that offers "everything".

Logitech make their own switches, if you don't like those you are stuffed.
    Corsair has a pretty limited selection of switches (mostly the "gamer" ones).
    Razer is overpriced, has the worst software in the peripherals industry and their customer service is a joke.
    Filco, Matias and Leopold all have the same problem, fine keyboards but good luck getting them in a UK layout (and customising mech keyboards is a can of worms you don't want to open).
    There are a ton of other brands, but they either have a very limited selection or focus on weird form factors.
    Also stay away from the cheap chinesium mech KBs, the gamble on switches ain't worth it.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Eh? I've an ISO (UK) Filco sat to my left as I type. Don't remember having any real difficulties in finding it, though I also can't actually remember where I got it from...

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

There's also Cherry (thje keyswitch guys also make keyboards) that are pricey but very solidly build.
    @WarrenJ I've got one of those Big Grid O' Switches jobbies I could lend you for the cost of postage (and, you know, getting it back at some point).

14. liratheal

I also have a UK Filco (Majestouch, black switches) to hand. I do remember where I got mine, though - keyboardco.com.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah keyboardco is the place to get Filco in the UK from memory.

And if you want something light, you may get on with reds then. They are too soft for me to use all the time, I found I rested my finger on TAB, and because reds were so light it would press down so suddenly webpages would start madly scrolling haha.

16. liratheal

Personally, I love blacks. I have blues in the K70, but the blacks feel better. With some rubber dampers so they didn't wake up the neighbours.

Although the blues have a very satisfying click, which is nice.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've used quite a few mechs now, probably ten plus.

My favourites were my qpad mk85 (bought 2nd hand Mx blues and had an led issue) and a func 460 which I think had Mx reds. Both boards had red LEDs which I hate and neither had dedicated volume and mute keys.

I now have a Corsair k70 which has RGB LEDs and a volume wheel but I find the keycaps a little small and keep making typing errors. Something I'll put up with for now seeing as it wasn't cheap.

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Have been recently using a sidewinder X4 at home as it's light and far more comfortable to have resting on my lap, but God it feels wrong after using.g a mech for the last 4-5 years. I have a mech at work with mx browns and it's way more pleasant to type on.

If you fancy something in the same style as the g15, EVGA do one with an led screen,