1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The HEDT CPU showdown will be the biggest battle of the year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Oct 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There have been rumours that x399 won't be compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen, if that is the case that opens up Intel as an option for me, particularly as it has also been rumoured that AMD won't do low core counts on TR either, so a 10 core +x299x could be on my shopping list, loving the look of the gigabyte waterforce.

quite looking forward to what unfolds, whichever gives me good price/performance and lanes is getting my money.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well there's meant to be, if you believe what you read on t'interwebs 3 new chipsets for 3rd gen. Threadripper [TRX40, TRX80 and WX80], so it not being compatible with X399 is not beyond the realms of plausability.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The hope is tr3 would just drop in to x399 as Epyc updated cpu does and 3xxx does on am4.

5. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"given we're still on 14nm (that's 14nm++ to you! - ed.)"
    Super 14nm II Turbo.

6. Player-x

Player-x What's a Dremel?

Whit AM4 going up to 16 cores, a TR with 16 cores would be considered a low core count, and you properly could still get one below (properly for half) the $1000 you have to pay for the Intel 10 core, and still have more PCIe lanes then with Intel.

But why do you need a TR or HEDT platform, that you cant do with a AM4 or S1151 platform?, and do you even really need a upgrade?

I have a 2950X in my sever because i needed it for video encoding, but i would now just wait for the 3950X, and i have a 3700X now in my work/game machine, and i am happy with what i have now.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Really? The 'improved performance' is widely expected to be below 15% compared to last year's offering. Especially looking at what TR3 is expected to deliver this sentence feels kinda wrong.

I'm excited to see the battle for the crown, but in heavily multi-threaded scenarios I doubt the new Intel CPUs will beat TR2, let alone its successor. Slashing prices is good for customers, but it reeks of desperation in camp blue.

Tags: Add Tags