1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've complained about that in the past and got nowhere. Their rationale is that they wouldn't try to deliver that late if you had ordered using a business account but orders from a personal account can be delivered up to 9pm...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Amazon *keep* trying to convince me to switch my account to a business account, but as far as I can tell it would bring me no benefits and some major disadvantages (like no longer being protected under B2C law.)

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've had a similar thing - 'based on products you ordered recently we think you might want a business account'... The only thing I've ordered in the last month is dishwasher tablets and batteries...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My favourite Amazonism is when the algorithm for Subscribe and Save goes non-linear. Like, batteries and toothpaste? Sure, a subscription makes sense. Battery charger? Err... Wait, a FRIDGE?

IanW and GeorgeK like this.
  5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Does amuse me the random things that get tagged into the subscribe an save weirdness, I bought an reusable coffee cup, err what? Then you buy a consumable say printer ink, nope cant save on that!
    Also the "because you bought" So i recently started getting fuse holders an basic electronics, cheapest place for lots of things annoyingly, now I looked up 12v compressor and all I'm getting now are suggestions for giant inflatables.

Anyway, my own life ruining is of my own doing, mid BP slide which is oh so much fun using the whole mania gumph to focus on prepping this solar project but I have so much going on my attention span is crap and I'm forgetting things, like a lot.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You're working half-days, then?

Sorry, we use many slaves... I mean, external consultants.

7. legoman

Yeah, usual hours for my day slip into double figures.

Also today woke up feeling like someone had punched me in the jaw, yay for Sinusitis, now have to decide if I want to stop taking the anti depressants so I can take stuff to help the Sinusitis, or ignore it an just keep on the AD's. Eurgh.

8. perplekks45

Paid overtime, at least?

9. legoman

Only standard hourly rate as the contract was done as 24/7 support to the customer so nothing is classed as unsociable hours.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Whoever negotiated that for you needs a slap!

11. legoman

Don't get me started on that, when they tendered the contract they came in lower than the rest for reasons like that.

12. Gareth Halfacree

As a freelancer, I set my own hours. Working half a day is great, and the best part is I get to choose which twelve hours it is!

<sobs>

yuusou, MLyons, perplekks45 and 2 others like this.
  13. perplekks45

I feel spoiled now, yet I still complain. Guess I'm more German than I thought.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Crikey, what a pickle.

So tomorrow AM I'm going on holiday. I've packed the kitchen sink.

Yesterday I thought "I'd better pack the last spare glass for my ecig tank in case I drop and break it again".

Tonight after running around like mad all day I go to swap batteries. I drop the cig on the granite worktop. It sounded bad, kinda like the poor glass pepper grinder that met its maker in pretty much the same fashion a couple of weeks back.

Scooped it up and checked it over "phew" everything was intact.

About an hour later I go to remove the filler cap and it just disintegrated. Liquid poured all over the sofa and me. I rushed to the kitchen and started mopping up and removing broken glass, then I realised that where I'd twisted the cap it had sliced clean through the bottom o ring.

Now this is a disaster. I couldn't go away on holiday sans my ecig .

In the end after 30 minutes of sheer panic I found the box for the tank and by Jove it did have a spare o ring.

Cleaned up, then had to clean myself and every thing else I'd touched.

Now I'm running the washing machine etc. So much for an early night and nice relaxed start to holiday.

Boo

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Right now? A stupidly simple solution to something that'd been trying to fix for nearly two hours.

Trying to open/save files in any application was being ridiculously slow. Then I notice that Windows Explorer wasn't automatically refreshing when I make file changes (new folders, new files, copy/paste, etc) - I had to hit F5 to see any changes. So I spent about an hour trying to track that problem down.

Then Windows Explorer started taking longer and longer to open. Maybe there's an issue with the secondary disk I haven't formatted yet - tried to reboot to yank the caddy out but the Start Menu stopped appearing and the PC simply wouldn't shut down when hitting Alt+F4 at the desktop. I had to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button in.

Fire it back up, sans secondary drive, and Windows is now taking ages to boot, like 5 or 6 minutes. I know this PC only has SATA3GB/s ports but that sort of boot time with an SSD just ain't right.

Tried to open the disk management console snap-in and it just hung while connecting to the Virtual Disk Service. So now I have something else to start googling...

While I'm googling that I'm also trying to install Crucial Storage Executive just so I can get some diagnostics on my SSD. It seems to install just fine but just hangs when trying to update the PATH environment variable.

Someone on some Microsoft forum mentioned that they had an SD card improperly inserted in a reader and this caused similar problems for them with the disk management console. This machine has a card reader built in... I didn't have any cards in my reader but the light was permanently on - that should only happen when there's a card actually inserted...

Popped the side panel off (this machine is so easy to get into, don't even need to unscrew anything, I love it) and unceremoniously yanked the USB header for the card reader off the motherboard. Soon as the 'you unplugged something' noise happened everything responded instantly and I've had no problems since.

I know, I know, first world problems and all that... But I had stuff I wanted to get done before Saturday and now I won't have time. I'm probably going to come home drunk tomorrow (going to Data Relay in Brizzle Bristol with people from work and there's a strong possibility of some pubs being involved afterwards) and this isn't the kind of "stuff" I can do while drunk...

I've actually had o-rings wear out on me in the past... Guess I should replace my tanks now and then! :)

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thing is this tank was £50.

The top o ring is easy. It's just round nitrile.the bottom one though is stepped to fit a flat channel ffs.

Saying that I've had it about a year now and it was fine.

I looked earlier but it doesn't seem Ijoy sell kits FFS.

I'll have to stock up on spare tanks when I get home. Until then I've fitted a vape band to the stock slim tank. It should be ok.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well my parents have been apart for 10 days, it took all of an hour before they were screaming at each other again. in the last 2weeks i've driven my dad to hospital at 3am, spent a day looking after him, spent the weekend travelling down to london to help my mum on a charity walk, been responsible for my alzheimers riddled grandma and now at the end of it all they're screaming and shouting about something, I don't care what it is. every sodding day of my life is miserable and i'm no closer to being independant than i was a decade ago.

18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Day 2 covering a job I'm learning, slowly. Seem to be covering my primary job too, cover job has significant financial repercussions if not actioned on time or incorrect.

Only 7 full working days left.

You got this......

19. legoman

Bike shops had my bike in for now three weeks for a half hour job, when I chase its always "we've not got round to it yet". The tool needed which they have is very expensive but it's getting to the point I'll buy it just to get the thing finished.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'd be doing the same. Get the tool and tell them you have got round to it!

I never trusted a shop with any of my bikes.