1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [Updated: CCL computers testing parts] new system unstable.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Otis1337, 8 Oct 2019.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So i have a new system that i built over the weekend (see specs for details)
    The GTX 1080 is carried over from my old system and has never given me any issues and isn't overclocked. Nothing infact is overclocked.

I am getting stuttering in windows and games, which then leads onto getting strange black and white tv static type bits on a black screen with some bright green squares dotted around then i loose signal.

I really think this is a driver issue with my new system but i just wanted to see if anyone on here has any idea whats going on.

Iv rolled back a month in drivers, which have just finished installing as i type this.
    Thanks.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Make sure the GPU is seated properly, re-plug the power cables. Start from there.

EDIT: also make sure your HDMI / DP cable(s) are plugged in correctly. Try replacing them as well to be sure.

Otis1337 likes this.
  3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So far so good with older drivers.
    I'll give it a few more days to see if it really has fixed it.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Things do seemed to of calmed down, but im getting nvlddmkm.sys BSOD sometimes when i boot, which is nvidia drivers :/
    Wonder if the change of system upset the card and its now on its way out......

Any thoughts are welcome.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Solutions i found in case anyone comes across this thread with similar issues.

So setting nvidia control panel drivers to high priority in task manager seems to of fixed a lot of issues where i would be getting GPU drivers disconnecting and nvidia control panel disappearing or never loading.
    I also would have to reboot the system after post just before windows would load as the screen would loose signal.

This ended up been windows never really shutting down and going into a deep hibernate which seems to be a new thing with windows 10.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

I disabled this so my PC really would completely shut down. I don't need help with boot speed as the OS is on a nvme drive.

I left my PC for over 30 minute and it went into a windows default sleep mode, which it wouldn't wake from, or at least wouldn't wake my monitor so this confirmed the sleep/hibernation issue i have so completely disabled any type of computer sleep /hibernate apart from monitor standby.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

hmm seems some but not all of my issues have gone, started with the stuttering today for the first time for a while and loosing signal.
    A hard reset fixes everything though till next time. IV ordered a new DP cable to rule that out.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Have you downloaded AMD's most up to date chipset drivers? When I built my first Ryzen (X370 + 1st gen R7 1700) system it would sleep and then not wake - it was solved by using AMD's Ryzen Balanced power plan - I'm 99% certain that all that wierdness was solved for later chips and motherboards but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Otis1337 likes this.
  8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yes, i used the newest from MSI's site, should i try somewhere else?

PS: new fancy DP cable hasn't helped, but does look nice.

PPS: just seen that the ones on AMD's own website are a fair bit newer, so installed them. Shall report back with my results. thanks.

PPPS: nvidia drivers are still giving me issues. Control panel can take ages to load and apply settings like 165Hz and second screen.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2019
  9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Things are better, but i do get flickering of the monitor and loosing signal sometimes. It really seems like a driver issue, i just dont know what its conflicting with.

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I notice you have two screens, have you tried it at 60Hz? Have you tried it on just one screen?

I had a problem running 75Hz across four PC's via a KVM, when switched it took ages for the PC to detect the screen and I also got flickering. It turns out that one of the PC's GPU doesn't support 75Hz so the constant switching of refresh rate confused the monitor for a period. On the PC that doesn't support 75Hz, the screen sometimes turned off as it couldn't detect a signal.

Try it on a bog standard 60Hz single screen and see.

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I never had this issue on my x58 system i just upgraded from, the GPU ran two monitors at 165Hz on my Asus and 75Hz on my Dell without issue. This is something new with my Ryzen upgrade.
    I have put my dell monitor at 60hz just to test.

UPDATE: setting second monitor to 60hz didnt help.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2019
  12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

oh dear, i think i have found the issue. (or at least part of it)

When ever i made the slightest movement on the DP cable i get the flickering and disconnecting. in both DP ports and with 2 different cables, one been brand new.
    Not sure why its effected on both DP ports.

I don't think this is the entire issue, but a separate one, as i can be completely still and get the flickering and disconnection issues. My last boot up gave me a 2 tone white screen, second lower half a little darker.

I do kinda think my GPU is on its way out and didn't like been moved/reinstalled, maybe static shock?, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2019
  13. GeorgeK

Sounds like a wonky connector on your graphics card - something been knocked at an odd angle causing it to come away from the PCB perhaps? Is it still under warranty?

Edit: Could you try HDMI or something similar?

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i have a seond monitor on HDMI, it doesn't have the same issue.

Looks like i have two main problems:
    1) Drivers do not start as they should. no matter what version i use. Drivers are the last thing to load when booting sometimes, other times no issues. Drivers randomly stop working then re-enable on there own, sometimes needing a restart.
    2) Both of my DP ports are not working properly.

I feel the combination of bad DP ports and the driver issues are what is giving me my problems.

I have not done anything to the DP ports that i can think off, i cant think of any time iv yanked on the cable or knocked the ports in anyway.

Its not under warranty anymore, it was one of the first 1080's

15. GeorgeK

Does sound like the card is on its way out doesn't it... Bummer about the warranty too :( Do you still have the driver issues when you have no displayport cables plugged in at all?

16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Something new now. My wallpapers keep going black.

Ill test using no DP's at all soon and report back.

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Having to wake the GPU up by going to device manager and using "search for hardware changes" on my Graphics adapter section.
    Now my start menu isnt working, and when it does, it lags!!! WHATS GOING ON.
    When im in game i get great performance unless the monitor looses signal.

Im now reinstalling windows fresh. Wish me luck.

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

dont wonna jinx it, but a fresh install seems to of fixed everything......

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

NOPE! everything is back the same again. Maybe even worse.

Getting the screen loosing signal, getting green squares, then solid colour then black again, then system restarts it self.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
  20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

[​IMG]

This is what comes up on my screen in between loosing signal.

Taken the GPU out, talked nicely to it, double checked cables. popped back in with a good press on the PCIe. see how i get on.

FYI: i had a look in event viewer and when ever i have a crash it shows as kernel power 41.

UPDATE: nipped round to a mates to borrow his spare R9 280x (use to be mine back in the day)
    Testing this card now. if everything runs smoothly. i know my GTX 1080 is giving up.

update 2: different graphics card, same problem, maybe even worse.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019