1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux What is this Linux thing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 27 Jul 2006.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea i saw mention of something like that and was thinking of giving 5.3 a try but thought better of it, I'm having so much fun (yes I'm that sad:)) getting everything just right and discovering new things I'll probably be kept busy until Xmas. :D

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ironically at this point I use Linux (more specifically Ubuntu) because it ... wait for it ... just works.

I do 2 or 3 customizations to get gnome the way I want it (a lil more like Unity) and then I'm golden. Even the default theme on 19.04 is really nice.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've been quite impressed with 5.3 so far with Tumbleweed. Monitoring in general for any new chip/chipset is always a bit... fun... with linux. I remember similar problems with monitoring the 3570K many years ago.

I used to love tweaking everything to within microns of perfect... but I find I'm far too busy to bother with it now. As long as nothing is actively annoying, I tend to just leave it until I have a few minutes spare to investigate. If it is so annoying I can't live with it, I use something else (Gnome Shell, I'm looking at you...!)

I know the feeling. Linux traditionally has been an absolute mess for multi-monitor setups, but Ubuntu 12.04 worked painlessly for me across an nVidia Surround triplescreen setup. But it was desktop environment specific - Unity worked fine, XFCE was having none of it, Gnome Shell wouldn't even start, KDE worked on two screen but on the third screen would flip vertically (why, I have no clue) and Openbox would work, but treated the setup as one massive screen. Unity displayed correctly, allowed me to set a primary monitor, understood each screen was separate. I was fairly late to the Cinnamon game (Mint 17.1) and that "just worked" as well.

Time has passed, so perhaps things are further improved? I haven't got a triplescreen setup in Japan to test.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK how bad multi-monitor setups were in the past but they're not that great today, could be I've not worked out a simple way to switch monitors yet but in Windows (7) i used to be able to swap outputs pretty easily, in Linux not so much.

It's a matter of digging around in display settings to enable one display and disable the other and then doing the same for sound where as in Windows i could switch from the monitor and headphones to the projector and speaker with a couple of clicks....tips or suggestions are welcomed. :)

Got to say though Linux, or more specifically Manjaro, feels like a breath of fresh air. I installed Windows 10 yesterday as i needed to use some motherboard specific programs and not only did it take me the entire afternoon but i ended up with a headache (literally), trying to do the simplest of tasks was a nightmare, what a confused and disjointed mess.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. That's about where multimonitor setups were in early 2017. There were a couple of tray apps at the time which basically flicked between two different xorg.conf files when you toggled them and made life a little easier, but they didn't work with Mint 18 and all traces of them I can find appear to have vanished off the 'net in the last year or so. (Site A points at site B, which points back to site A again for download, etc...) They also did nothing for audio.

I don't know whether this might work for you: https://github.com/yktoo/indicator-sound-switcher

It only does sound but perhaps a video one can be found?

Should be easy enough to do it with a shell script (even if you have to run the script as root when you want to swap)

The audio situation has not improved; I hooked up a pair of Bluetooth headphones to test, and they worked fine. But while Cinnamon automatically reverted to HDMI output for audio when they were disconnected... no other app did. So I spent about 20 minutes puzzling over why Clementine (or any other music/video app) were freaking out in different ways and/or not playing music. Clementine had a particularly amusing way of failing: it said the music files no longer existed... but they did. It was the Bluetooth output that no longer existed. Sort of.

Ubuntu 12.04 was a revelation - even six months prior, with 11.10, multimonitor was a case of manually tweaking xorg.conf to get things set up right - at least for me. The next LTS didn't really make any further strides forward.

I quite like(d, been a while since I used) Manjaro - I like pacman as a package manager, and Manjaro, at least until recently, shipped a default theme/setup that I didn't even bother to tweak, beyond putting my own custom Conky script in place.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea I'd be amazed if couldn't be done with a script, i read a little bit about randr (probably got the name wrong there) so I'm pretty confident it can be done, i just haven't had the time to workout how yet. Between learning about new hardware (BIOS settings), converting an old POP3 outlook pst file, learning about a new OS, and trying out various email clients I've been kept fairly busy.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

xrandr will cover all your screen needs. Though I haven't had any issues with using the gui tools for screens. Only used a laptop+one external though.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Advise needed please. :)

I'd like to link some folders in home to another drive, specifically the documents, pictures, music, and videos folders, my understanding is it can be done either by creating a symlink or mounting, however I've read lots of conflicting information what can and can't be done with each method.

I'd be grateful if you guys and girls could point me down the right path, i suspect symlinks are what's needed but from what i read some programs fail to follow those, would that effect the opening/editing/saving of documents and other files. Is it just things like backing up the file system that don't follow them?

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

If that drive is formated in NTFS, things get a little tricky with permissions (though not impossible). If it's formatted in ext4 or xfs then symlinking is enough I'd say.

EDIT:
    Now on a desktop,
    If it's an NTFS drive, you need to map Windows-style permissions to POSIX style permissions, first using the usermap tool then using the permissions flag on the mount.

I'ma let you google that and see if it's for you. I can give you a more in depth explanation when I'm home as I've got this set up for a shared HDD I've got for games and stuff.

You can't use the same folder for Dropbox, Google Drive, Steam games, etc though. Trust me, I've tried. :)

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019
    Corky42 likes this.
  10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would just go with symlinks and see what happens. If they don't meet requirements do something else. They are easy enough to undo.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea that's what i went with, i thought, mistakenly it turns out, that those folders were a bit like their Windows counterparts and how trying to move them on that can cause all sorts of problems if not done correctly.

Slightly related and canvasing for opinions again....What's peoples thoughts on backing things up on Linux? Obviously things like documents and internet browser related stuff is a given, but do you bother backing up the actual OS, personalization, or apps?

On Windows i used to install all my regular programs, change OS settings and disable stuff, setup a program to backup internet browser related stuff once a week and then make an image using Macrium reflect. When it came to restoring I'd plug in another drive and re-image from the file stored on the larger HDD, update everything and make a new image to replace the old one.

Would i be right in thinking i don't really need to go to all that faff with Linux as i could just boot a live USB and either try to fix what I'd broken or simply reinstall while leaving 'home' with all the personalizations untouched.

I've played around with Timeshift (didn't like it much, bit to simple) and KBackup (got confused with what should and shouldn't be backed up). :oops:

12. theshadow2001

For me programs and their config, is a pretty inconsequential thing to backup. I would just reinstall and reconfigure. If you think you're home directory is important though, you should back it up with everything else. Don't depend on it being there after some failure.

You could always write a script to install and configure your applications.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Orrr have ansible playbooks for your desktop. and/or chef and/or puppet and/or whatever rocks your boat.

14. delevic

delevic What's a Dremel?

Did anyone oveverclock Nvidia multiple gpus in Ubuntu ? I manage to set Amd Gpus , but Nvidia no.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2019
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've overclocked an RTX 2080 with GreenWithEnvy, but haven't tried in a multi-GPU scenario.

16. delevic

delevic What's a Dremel?

GWE can control only one gpu . And it works good. But for more than one, we must use script.

17. delevic

delevic What's a Dremel?

This is mine xorg.conf file :

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
    BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
    Option "AccelMethod" "None"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:2@0:0:0"
    Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    Option "Coolbits" "31"

EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:3@0:0:0"
    Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    Option "Coolbits" "31"

EndSection

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Can anyone help with the following please: How come this...
    Code:
    sudo dd if=manjaro-kde-18.1.1-191015-linux53.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress
    Works, but this...
    Code:
    sudo dd if=manjaro*.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress
    Does not?

I've tried putting the file in quotations and still get no such file found so what have i got wrong as my google-fu is letting me down.

19. theshadow2001

I assume because you are using a wildcard in the second. Which if worked as intended could lead to inputting more than one file. So its probably looking for a file with the specific name of "manjaro*.iso". If you renamed the iso to that it would probably work. If you are a looking for shortcuts to inputting awkward file names, using tab complete would probably be the best way rather than wildcards

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

First: don't use "*." - that's a Windowsism, where the dot character means "dot." In POSIX shells, the dot character means "any single character" while the asterisk character means "any characters at all."

Thus:

manjaro*.iso

is nearly identical to:

manjaro*iso

because you're literally saying "manjaro followed by any string of characters followed by any single character followed by iso." Interestingly, this means that "manjaro1.iso" will trigger but "manjaro.iso" won't - because there isn't a string of at least one character plus one character between "manjaro" and "iso".

As @theshadow2001 says, use tab completion: write "man" or however many characters you need, hit tab. If there's more than one matching file - which would have *really* screwed things up using wildcards - it'll autocomplete to where the filenames differ; press tab twice to see the possible options.