1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Folder Icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pookeyhead, 28 Oct 2019.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Evening chaps! Not been on here for a while, glad to see it's still buzzing :)

I'm wondering of anyone can help. I customised my folders to replace the standard windows one, but after the last update, they have reverted back to stock.

I changed them back with IconPackager, but only empty folders use the customised one. As soon as anything in the folder generates a thumbnail, the folder reverts back to the stock yellow one. See screengrab... The only one that has remained the blue customised one is the empty folder. All the others revert to yellow when they contain files that generate thumbnails (images etc).

I've tried all manner of things, but can't get my old folder icons working.

123.JPG

Any help appreciated... it's driving me nuts!

2. Pookeyhead

ps.... I know I can change from folder icons to Thumbnails to just give a black folder icon, but it used to work without doing that... meaning I had a custom "full" folder that showed thumbnails of contents.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Disable thumbnails?

4. Pookeyhead

Yes. that gives me the folders back, but doesn't show contents. Prior to the updates, I had custom folders AND thumbnails.

5. RedFlames

IIRC, the folder w/ thumbnails are a different icon/set of icons to the 'regular'/empty folder... So iconpacager may have replaced the regular 'folder' ion, but not the component icons of the folder with thumbnail...

Basically the folder-with-thumbnail is 3+ icons... the back of the folder, the thumbnail(s), then the front of the folder.

6. Pookeyhead

hmmm.... I can see all the icons in the set... but doesn't seem to be applying them. Grrrr.... I'm stumped. Now sure how to replace them manually as I've no idea where the default windows icons are stored.

7. RedFlames

They're spread over multiple [well, at least 2] dlls, so again, iconpackager might be overriding the icons from, say, shell32.dll, but not the ones from imageres.dll

8. Pookeyhead

Looking at the icons in Shell32.dll.. it's not overwritten those either. I'm not sure how it's doing it to be honest.

9. Pookeyhead

Ok... sussed it. The latest update to Icon Packager hadn't installed properly. Nuked it, re-installed it, and re-applied by custom icons, and now all is well. I suppose I shoudl have checked that first, but I DID check for updates from Stardock after the windows update.

Thanks.

456.JPG

ElThomsono likes this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Just popping in to say hi to Pookeyhead :lol:

11. Pookeyhead

Hello!

I really am pleased Bit Tech is still active.

hard to believe it's 15 years since I signed up, and it's still going strong.