1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimCity 4 Killed my computer!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Kevo, 28 Jan 2003.

1. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I eliminated them all, I used three (yes three) different cpus, a different gfx card, I removed all of my PCI cards, a different psu I eliminated everything but my (this ones for ouija) MY MOTHERBOARD.

It seems to me that it was a combination of my motherboard and ram both of which ive now replaced and hopefully it will work tonight :D

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You bought a new motherboard without making sure the old one is broken????

/runs manically laughing :D

3. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IT NOW WORKS!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I wasn't flaming

5. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

What changed? .. Whatcha do? :)

6. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

ohh... the feeling of having fixed ur pc... i know that feeling. it's like ur son (daughter actually after this tread) was brught back from the dead.
    sometimes i like to screw mine up just for the satisfaction of fixing it.
    jk. being without my baby is a price i can't afford. i rather have to fix somebody elses's.

7. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

i have a hunted computer chasi, IM DEAD SERIUS. I had an old 133mhz system in it YEARS ago. and it died so i got all the components for as new rig and built them in the chasi. no go. so i take the parts out of the chasi and assemble them on a sheet of cardboard. and presto it works. put it back in case NOTHING. so i put the case in the closet and forgot about it a few months ago i dug it out to put my linux box into (currently set up and a sheeet of card board interesting how history repeats itself.) so the linux machine works great always has since i built it. put in the chasi nothing, repeate steps same results as first system. So i dig out an old processer (800mhz) and the matching motherboard build them test them (on a sheet of cardboard frist of course) work put it in the case and guess what, didnt work. Yes i have tried using different PSU's different switches and the like.

i swear to god the thing has got to be haunted. i mean what other option is there??? Ground fault!? nope checked for that.

i mean seriusly what am i missing????

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Try new standoffs, maybe one of the standoffs is buggered.

:)

9. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

tried that, the metal ones the plastic ones, hell i went so far as to fabricate som out of a plexy like material (cant remember the name of it) screw in one end and another on the other side thru the board into the plexy like stand off

maybe i should sell it on ebay

item discription : cursed computer chasi

10. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Stuck some new ram (Corsair TwinX 3200LL) on my mobo ;)

After testing all my components again on my working system I have found out that my mobo killed...

A. My Backup HD, it detects but it sounds like the head crashes when you try and access it, all my MP3z gone :waah: Humm a new SATA HD might be in order :naughty:

B. My old ram

C. And the mobo itself

I dont know why all these things happened at the same time but something really bad must have happened :sigh:

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

lol, in the wonderment of this thread, im gonna get simcity 4 and see what it can do to my stuff :D as an experiment, of course :)

gg getting it fixed btw :) shame you bought new stuff before though :D

12. xilron

xilron What's a Dremel?

same problem here! It is getting annoying! Ill try BIOS later

13. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Could it have been Simcity that killed it? If it was you have a nice excuse for a lawsuit there :D

Unlikely though. In fact, very unlikely.

14. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

So SimCity didn't kill your computer? It just happened to be what you were playing at the time your PC decided to go frazzle? SimCity4 doesn't work very well on my PC anyway, I have a Ti4600 and it won't run in anything other than software rendering mode. lol :lol:

15. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this article concerns the topic, looks like you aren't the only one having problems with Sim City 4

Wired Article

16. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Same thing happend with my Last mobo.

Was playing simcity then it soft rebooted and then when I tried to run any 3D game it would reboot.

Then I tested out all my hardware by removing the gfx card, changing the ram slots and everything else, then I got a new Mobo and it worked again.

Now, I just installed the Rush Hour expansion pack and it soft rebooted on me again so I just got done reinstalling windows hoping this would fix it because my other 3d games (quake 3) would run kind of choppy so Im hoping this fixed it as well.

Im about to test it so now I hoped it works.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I remembered this thread and really didnt think anything of it untill now.

17. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

i suggest we participate in communal burning of simcity4 boxes, manuals and cds

glad I dont own it.

But dear god, maybe we have stumbled onto something that could be used to make a supervirus of sorts? one that puts ure psu into resonance and causes massive shorts and shoots lightning bolts at j00?

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

nono, it's not cursed... it's the bottom left panel screw that had a won tread... or mabye it's the flux capacitor that is troublesome again... :eyebrow: :D

19. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

More like reincarnating your wife imo ;)

Good thing it works now. Maybe you should get back on troubleshooting the motherboard, you never know if you'd get it to work properly again.