1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Replace fans on AIO?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 28 Nov 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've noticed that the fans in my computer have been reving up a lot at night when brownsing or watching videos with PotPlayer. I thin that the culprite is Chroms with 40+ tabs open as my computer will slow down until I close Chrome and reopen it.

Last night I even had a blue screen: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Anyways, I'm wondering if part of the issue is the stock fans on my AIO, ID-Cooling FROSTFLOW+ 280. A bit of poking around suggests they are WF-14025 static pressure degisn PWM function.

Is it worth upgrading them or are they fine?

[​IMG]
    It's a bit of a tight fit so I don't think can handle anything thicker

[​IMG]

The front fans are 2x Phanteks PH-F140MP and the rear is a 120mm, I forget which.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2019
  2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I assumed they had, but it was me this time. They have a 240mm and 280mm that look identical.
    I edited the OP with the correct image.

I don't know much about fan specs, especially for watercooler. I don't want to through money at a potentially non-existent problem and buy fans that offer minimal improvement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Nov 2019
  3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What are your temps like? The fans can't be causing an error. Changing fans might help a little with temperatures and/or noise levels. If your temps are high then look elsewhere other than the fans would be my suggestion

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm wondering if it is related to the ramping up noise. Is their decent software for tracking fan speed so that I can determine if the AIO fans are the cause of the noise?
    I would think that a 280mm AIO is enough for a 6700k at stock.

5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Given that 6700k was cooled quite happily with a low profile Noctua cooler so a 280AIO should be complete overkill! exactly the sort of thing for Bit :)

I agree with George, the fans can’t be causing an error unless they don’t work and the CPU is overheating, and then the system would shut down completely. I’d definitely start with checking your temps, use Prime95 to make sure they are under control even under full load. If temps are high, maybe try re-seating the block or fresh TIM.

That will also tell you how loud your AIO fans can get and whether you want to find something better/quieter. Scythe Gentle Typhoons always used to be the go to for quiet radiator fans, but I’m a bit out of the loop on the best ones now.

The blue screen message sounds like you’ve got a dodgy driver somewhere.

silk186 likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

GT's are EOL as far as I can tell, but EK Vardar's are basically the same thing, although I've not been able to validate this.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm running now, seems to track min and max (60 core 1) and is currently sitting at 23 while browsing. I will try a stress test later.
    I have my computer on the bottom of a shelf in the corner which is not the most ideal for air circulation unfortunately.
    I installed the great suspender which suspends chrome tabs after 30 minutes and seems to help a lot.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2019
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The fans are most likely ramping due to the default fan curve under PWM. Essentially they are reacting to the load at a given time and increasing speed as temperature thresholds are crossed.

This is perfectly normal behavior but can be somewhat annoying at times.

I found the best solution is to either manually set a fan curve or, alternatively, run a fixed fan speed until a pre defined temperature is hit. In my case my fans run at ~50% (won't go lower on the Maximus board for some reason) until CPU hits 80C and then they ramp to 75%.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If they're PWM fans set them to PWM in the BIOS as this should allow them to drop to 25% if memory serves :)

xaser04 and silk186 like this.
  11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I just ran Prime95 at default settings while I was out and temps reached the mid-90s after 30 minutes.
    It to struggle with heat building up.

That was until a few minutes ago. I pulled of the front of the case. confirmed it's in push pull with working fans and cleaned the filter.
    A strange clicking noise started and i used my hand to stop the AIO, front and back fans to check ... it is the GPU.
    I pulled the GPU and one of the fans makes a clicking noise. Here is an audio recording LINK

This could be the reason why my GPU was overheating.
    I don't see an obvious obstruction. Is it a dead fan?

Last edited: 29 Nov 2019