1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling laptop cooling? anyone used one of those fan bases?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhillyB, 17 Nov 2003.

1. PhillyB

PhillyB What's a Dremel?

like this one?

http://www.xpcgear.com/notebookcooler.html

or

http://www.holomaxx.com/trade/product_info.php/products_id/113

or

http://coolerexpress.com/notebookcooler.html

my new alienware gets hot as fire and after about an hour of harcore gaming/benchmarks it seems to heat crash - i was wondering if anyone had used one yet or what?

edit : also has anyone tried making their own? any FAQ's on how to get power from USB? id love to take a flat piece of metal and put fans right where i need em - i dont mind payin 30$ but ive got tons of fans laying around and lots of tools/time

2. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

my budds dell laptop used to do that, so I told him to just put it on a cookie cooler rack (5 bucks at safeway, its just a wire cooling rack) and then pointed a small 5 inch desktop fan so that it blew under the rack and it stoped having problems.

I dont see why the fans you have listed would not work out fine.

also you only get 5 volts out of a usb port, and i dont konw if your fans will spin at 5 volts.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

All Papst fans I've tried (quite a few) will work at 5V.

4. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

My friend has an hp that ran really hot and crashed just like yours did, so I told her to get the cooler in the second link you posted.
    The concept is great, and it worked fine for 3 months or so, but one of the fans wore down and makes a rather unpleasant grinding noise now.
    I recommend getting a cooling pad, just not necessarily that one ;p

5. PhillyB

PhillyB What's a Dremel?

not very portable either huh

6. Sportbilly

Sportbilly What's a Dremel?

I believe you can only pull half an amp out of the USB without having a separately powered hub, a point to look for on the fan specs, though I think most would be fine.

I carry two 8 inch long bits of wood, .75" by .75". I set the laptop on those, makes a huge difference, but not necessarily as good a a fan.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Now if it was me id watercool the ****er but its not

My lappy is dead cool LMAO, ok ok it gets a little toasty but its ok there designed to get that hot i think. Anyway use one of those fan things if not bodge one yourself it wont look as good but will do the same job :D.

/goes off to think of pocket watercooling :D

8. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

I just got a new Dell Lat. D600 and the idiots mounted the drive right under the L. palm rest. The freaking thing is like a hot plate…Don’t they test these things??

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

You mean you havent seen the commercial where they test all the products and the one intern passes out? Guess they forgot the "everyday real world useage test"

10. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

It's broken. A laptop is a complete, pre-built system. Unless you have overclocked or modded it, it should not overheat and crash under any kind of normal use (unless you happen to live in an oven).

I'd RMA it.

MoJo

11. Bluebark

I agree...something is not right.

12. PhillyB

PhillyB What's a Dremel?

well it works fine for hours with a small fan behind it - 60mm plugged into cell phone charger (1amp 5V) - i didnt expect it to run cool - full fledged desktop processor and 7200 rpm hdd

only crashes when i play games for 1+ hours

13. Risky

Risky Modder

Well I'd say its a bit poor from the manufacturer. I really believe it is acceptible for an unmodified laptop to crash through overheating.

Sent it Back!

14. Bluebark

I would say the notebook has a faulty thermal design…

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea id like to see you fit a cascade and 1/2" barbs in 1" height constraints. :lol:

16. PhillyB

PhillyB What's a Dremel?

dont you mean unacceptable? well i dont think so either but i dont really care since i can play battlefield 1942 anywhere with all the settings maxed. i know that intel never meant for a pentium 4HT to go into a mobile system 1" thick but i wouldnt take anything else. i dont plan on buying a desktop ever again.

i have ordered a turbo cooler from nexfan.com for 15 that has 4 60mm fans that i will mod so i can play games for longer. i was only looking to see if anyone else had left behind their desktops to play games.

Tags: