1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need a Router for TalkTalk Fibre

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cerberus90, 31 Dec 2019.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

The current Talktalk provided D-Link is just getting annoying now, it's been replaced once already, and now whenever more people are at the house on the WiFi, the router just dies, it's killed itself 4-5 times today alone. So time for a change.

I've been having a bit of a look and going from reviews and amazon ratings I'm looking at either a Billion 8800NL R2 or a TP-Link Archer AC1750.

I'm edging towards the TP-Link just because it's a bigger brand and there's more reviews on the net for it than the Billion.

Anyone used either of these or have any other recommendations at a similar price point?

Cheers

2. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

That dhee-linknot does suck

Asus RT-AC series is quite good but prices are ehh sort of on the high end. My 66U has served for almost six years without a hitch.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I've got a unifi usg with an external AP or 3, but I like to go overkill

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Billion is probably the best out of the two to go for.
    How it performs on wireless is anyone's guess (enviroment, devices, location in the house).

You will get more flexibility moving to a router/modem and access points like deathtaker27 mentions. (With a USG you will need a Modem infront).

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Good point mate, I forgot about my modem

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

All I need is a router that lasts more than 6 months before constantly dropping the WiFi or internet. We've only got two desktops and say 10 wireless devices.
    The current DLink from TalkTalk would be fine if it worked properly all the time, :D.
    Unifi thing looks a bit complicated/OTT and expensive for what I need, :D

Might try the Billion then, it's on amazon so if it doesn't do what it says on the tin I'll send it back.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Unless you need an all-in-one unit, I'd highly recommend the combo of an Edgerouter-X (or Edgerouter Lite) plus a Unifi AP. Having the AP separate from the router means you can better position it for coverage, and dedicated APs will perform much better than 'all in one' units anyway (maybe not in "one device in a clean RF environment" max speed lab tests, but dramatically better in real world many-devices-plus-several-neighbours-WiFi). It also means you can upgrade the two separately if needed. They will also be more reliable than a commodity all-in-one, as well as actually getting firmware updates.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Those unifi Access points look like they cost more than I want to spend on the whole lot, :D.
    Presumably with an Edgrouter and AP I'd also need a modem?

Coverage with the current tt Dlink is fine, every room in the house is covered and most of the garden too.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A new AP AC Lite can be had for £80, the 'old' AP ACs can be had for ~£25 from ebay (make sure they include the PoE injector to power them).
    The D-Link would probably work just fine in MODEM-mode once other devices have taken over the routing and WiFi duties, and you can swap it out for a dedicated MODEM at a later date.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have the Sagecom 5364 provided by talk talk.

Usually I swap my router but its been flawless, maybe pick up one they are cheap 2nd hand.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've decided to forget my prejudices and I've ordered an Asus RT-AC1200G+, still got the BT openreach modem to use with it.

The Unifi stuff looks good, but looks too complicated and unnecessary for what we need.

I'll see how the Asus goes, if it's no good might try a Sagemcom, glad we didn't pay £100 and get one from tt when they're that cheap on ebay.