1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, it normally costs extra to have recovery from home. I think the RAC define "from home" as being from within quarter of a mile of your house.

And always read the small print. Always.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's what I was going to say: "home" doesn't usually mean "literally your property", it usually means "within X miles (or 0.X miles) of your property".

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, have just checked and both RAC and AA define "at home cover" as within 1/4 mile of your home.

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I'd like a car with a Coffman starter, because firing up a car early morning with a shotgun cartridge would never get old.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Guest-44638 like this.
  5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Do wonders for your neighbourhood popularity... :D

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My first car actually had one of those. It was clipped to the bulkhead behind the driver's seat. 1961 Series 2A LandRover.

Never had to use it thankfully, and never really wanted to try. A 2.25l engine kicking back would not have been pleasant...

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We had this issue too, so got my partners dad to give us a tow round the corner, not very far but enough that we were outside that zone.

8. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Bills, lots of bills
    And this was before Christmas :wallbash:

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Rant.

I was supposed to be going to London today to work on a car. However, I got a message from my cousin yesterday saying he wasn't up to it. I asked why, he said "Been in the hospital two days". Hmm.

Any way he turns up randomly from London this afternoon out of the blue which was nice. Apparently on New Year's Eve he went to a pub in Norfolk. There was this girl in there and my cousin paid her a compliment by saying she looked like a young (note the word YOUNG) Kim Wilde. Like young from the 80s. My cousin is knocking on 50.

Any way, she smiled etc and he carried on his evening. About an hour later this chav goes up to him and gets in his face. "What the f**k did you say about my sister?" and waves this pic on his phone of Kim Wilde now. My cousin tried his best to explain, but it was obvious this guy wanted a fight. OK, so outside they go. So my cousin lamps him one and the guy goes down. However, my cousin fell down on top of him after losing his balance. Down he goes.

Next thing you know he wakes up in an ambulance. WTF is going on? well apparently two other guys came over and grabbed him by the neck and punched him in the back of the head. Proper rabbit punch. So my cousin passes out and "Kim Wilde" then stamps on his face. Smashing his cheek bone and breaking three of his teeth. All of the time he was away with the fairies.

Police turned up. Know exactly who these shyte are. Apparently they're known for it. "That family" as the police called them. He pressed charges so he has been stuck up there sorting it all out. FFS.

10. oscy

oscy Modder

My internet speed has been measured in KB/s (233 to be exact) over the Christmas holidays. (It's supposed to be 6MB/s, or about 50Mbps)

My mistake was using the support's online chat. I'm with BT and forgot (since I never have issues and they're otherwise amazing) that on the phone they use knowledgable and British people now, but the online chat is stills Indians with a script and saying whatever. This meant 2 weeks of this snail pace, but also confusion and silliness regarding engineers allegedly coming out, and one who never turned up at all to my house today.

On the plus side, due to only paying £11 a month anyway, the £25 compensation I'm getting for the missed appointment (plus the 2 weeks of 1990s internet) means I'm getting a few months free.

I guess I'm playing some old Mega CD or GameCube games until the engineer actually comes. RDR2 would take 125 hours non-stop to download!

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Well, colour me utterly pigged off.

I had planned to take out the drone today, so I got up early, checked the forecast to see if it had changed since last night. Nope, it still said mostly cloudy and dry with sunny spells throughout the day - perfect. I jump in the shower, get dressed, pack up my drone kit into it's backpack and head out the door; to be greeted with grey skies and pissy drizzly but somehow quite heavy rain.

Just checked the forecast again a few minutes ago - still showing cloudy and dry with 0% chance of rain. It's still raining outside!

Yes I am reading the forecast for my area. :miffed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jan 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Bloomin' drizzle... Same weather and problem in Bournemouth, unsurprisingly!
    I want to sort out my flight settings to get smooth panning with the Mavic Pro.
    Need to get a folding launch pad to use at the beach, I'm sure a folded towel will be OK, but on the bulky side ;)
    The forecast for the rest of the week is worse if anything. Maybe a quick sortie into the garden...

13. David

I'd be interested to know how you get on with that.
    I got one of these, not too big and packs away in the back pocket of the BP200.
    Yeah, I might do a quick recce of the guttering, to see if it needs a clean.

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That pad looks perfect, I'll get one ordered up.

I have used the settings from 51 drones for starters.

Quick 10 min flip outside in the garden as my B in Law popped round and wanted to see it in action. Needs more testing and time to assess things.

15. oscy

oscy Modder

The BT engineer came round. I don't wanna be mean but... maybe we should swap jobs...

He did his tests and said the house was getting the right speed, so it must be the wiring (he really didn't like that I was using an extension on the secondary socket for it, but I've always got 50mbps). I asked if it could be the hub, he said no.

He 'fixed' it by changing the socket anyway, but when he left, my speed was still slow (at least it was 4mbps rather than 1.6...). He had stayed parked outside so he came back in, we tried lots of different wires, then eventually he tested again and concluded it was the hub / router. As I suspected right from the start. :nono:

MLyons likes this.
  16. The_Crapman

CPU loop was fine loosing a fan. The GPU loop however, not so much.

I hadn't adjusted the fan profile for it, so it was still set up for quiet running. Noticed a bit of stuttering in game, checked my afterburner traces and temps all seemed fine. I'd taken off the overclock on the gpu and just left the memory bump on as a precaution. Checked in aquasuite and the coolant temp was somewhere about 47C. :blush: have now set the fan to ramp from 50% at 40C to 100% at 42C to try and keep it down. It's odd though as i've been running it for about a week with just 1 fan and it had seemed fine. might have to whack a random fan in the front to keep it happy. Don't want to get new ones till it's back on a desk away from dust and fluff.

EDIT/update: just loaded gpuz for no good reason. Noticed a big discrepancy between rated and actual core clocks. I'd only gone and put my over-volted benchmarking profile on, not the safe one. :rollingeyes: No wonder the gpu was crying after 8 hours of division 2

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
  17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

When did 42°C become 'too toasty' for a graphics card...?

18. David

Depends, if thats a delta, it could be getting toasty.

19. oscy

oscy Modder

Now because of a bug on Chiltern's website, an advance return ticket I bought has turned out to be for the day after it should be...

Thought about just using it, but now I don't know. I called them and he just went the 'can't refund advance tickets' route. But then he tried the bug himself and saw it, so he said he'd "raise it" and I might hear back... but I don't trust that...

20. The_Crapman

Those are the coolant temps from the separate cpu and GPU loops. They usually don't go over 40c, even with a conservative and quiet fan profile. I have a thing about it going over 40. It might be fine, but on today's evidence maybe not. The gpu temps were around 60c, which is fine, but I bet I would have burned my fingers on the backplate.

With a decreased airflow through the case, the ancillaries like the backplate and Mobo vrm aren't going to be getting cooled as much. There's a number of things that could have caused the tiz, but my betting is the rather aggressive overclock used over a prolonged time.

I'll see if I can swap the fan out tomorrow. Front one shouldn't be too much bother, top one might just be left alone for now.

adidan likes this.