1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lenovo's first eGPU - the Legion BoostStation - launches in May

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 6 Jan 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

my Dell XPS 15 has Geforce 1650 in it, weigh less than 4lb, really thin, and plays most games in 1080 in high-ish settings.

why do people even need this?

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That is an excellent question, but people keep buying them.

The best I can think of is that these boxes let a laptop power 1440p+ external screens for games without needing to invest in a whole second system or having the laptop get heatstroke. But the boxes are so expensive they encroach on just building another PC. If you can afford the monitor and a thunderbolt enabled laptop you can probably afford a mid spec gaming box, or already have most of the bits sitting around in box somewhere.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Basically this I think, only having one machine because whilst GPUs go out of date in a laptop, making useless, so you have to buy another whereas the CPU and RAM side of things will probably be fine in a well specced laptop for the next decade. (perhaps a bit of an overestimation)

So if you only want one machine, that you can travel with and then game on at home, this would help you do it, no need so swap and transfer between work and play machines.

I bought a more gaming capable laptop and all I find is actually I am just carrying around that extra weight and size all the time and don't need it, or can't use it because of places I am staying not having a suitable area to setup for gaming, mine is small an light weight comparative to the weight of an XPS 15, I would personally like it smaller again, ~12" would be my preference.

I am eyeing up the new Stealth 13 though.....

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
    adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pretty much this ^

Edit: Makes me think, as I buy the good lady a new laptop, what on earth I should do with the 1,2 no now 3 old laptops I have spare. Or is it 4?

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The Marketplace? Gumtree? Charity Shop?

adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

True, I tend to give a lot of things to charity shops or freecycle, just thought there may be something fun and pretty pointless I could do with them. :lol:

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

^This!
    I saw a laptop with a damaged screen transplanted into an interesting wooden case on Youtube last week.
    The best re-use of a laptop that I've ever seen is in an IT shop, where they ran the laptop mobo and screen suspended vertically between 2 stainless steel cables :grin:.

I'm still thinking about getting a14" IPS screen and making it up with a Chinese ebay driver card and having it as a small 2nd screen on the wall for the secondary family PC

adidan likes this.
Tags: Add Tags