1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

One of the few non-morons involved in Star Wars...

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Agreed.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

There is that...

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Series that I don't get exist for as long as they do and are popular….

The Walking Dead...
    Season 1 - mostly boring with bad CG
    Season 2 - more boring
    Season 3 - stopped watching around half, kept falling asleep….

Lucifer
    Season one - every episode in itself is toooo long, the Idea is nice but there is no real pace, no real evil...

The Blacklist
    Season 1 - managed to watch till the end, when a resemblance of a coherent storyline starts to appear.

There are countless Seasons of these series, do these get any better at some point or am I just weird?

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

So I'm not the only one who thought Hateful Eight was too long for what it had to offer?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've asked myself that question numerous times.. I don't get it either.

The Witcher - 8/10

Rather fun. I quite like all the casting decisions, but the skipping back and forth in time had be a little perplexed at times.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Hellboy (2019) - Milla Jovovich/10

Actually really enjoyed this. Ignore what Rotton Tomatoes says (all those critics with their poncy black and white profile pictures are a joke nowadays), it's a heavy metal, blood and gore fest, full of curse words, monster fights and the spawn of Satan saving the world.

Also, Milla Jovovich...

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Joker - 8/10
    It's SLOW.. much more so than I expected. But it's great.

Zombieland Double Tap - 8/10
    A super solid sequel. It's not going to set the world on fire, but nobody expected that from a sequel to Zombieland... it's as good or bad as the original, and very much "more of the same". So long as they stop now, I am happy.

The Witcher - 6/10
    Enjoyable, but the skipping around in time is badly done to a point of dragging down the entire series. ESPECIALLY to people that are not familiar with any of the source material. Also, inb4 the series goes all "supernatural" with loads of action and a slow moving plot.

9. WarBoys

WarBoys What's a Dremel?

Jumanji: The Next Level 8,5/10
    I enjoyed this, is really fun to see with family

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Dr Strangelove, around 20 years since the last time.

A film born the same year as me.

I watch very few films and never recent ones from the Hollywood sausage machine.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Recently rewatched this myself.
    So good!

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The Witcher - season 1 - 9/10
    Absolutely loved it! It stays true to the source material, and having played all three of the games (well, I'm not finished with the third one yet - just about 100 hours in, so about half-way there including the DLCs I guess) resulted in me sometimes wondering whether the storyline I'm watching has been one I've played through or one that I read through in one of the books. It is brilliant, and I'm impatiently awaiting season 2.

The Mandalorian - season 1 - This is the way/10
    It is brilliant! 'Nuff said. Bring on season 2!

For All Mankind - season 1 - 7/10
    This is one of those things that suddenly appears before you, doesn't seem all that impressive at first glance but then proceeds to whallop you in the face with a shovel. It's a what-if story set during the space race, and it's an alternative reality where the russians beat the americans to the moon. It is really rather good.

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The Expanse - season 4 - 9/10
    It just keeps getting better. I wanted to give it a 10/10 because it is simply the best sci-fi TV-show in the world at this time, but I wanted to leave room for improvement for season 5.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't have AppleTV+, but I might see if I can check this out.

:clap:

I say this to everyone who enjoys the TV series but read the books man, READ THE BOOKS! :grin:. I promise you that knowing the story ahead of time does not spoil the enjoyment of watching the TV show, it really doesn't. It's fantastic to see these characters and stories brought to life even if you know what the story is going to be. Once I'm done with my second read-through of the Dune series I'm going to start The Expanse again, and this time I'll include all the novellas.

The books are fantastic but the TV show is done so well. It really helps that they've got such a rich world to draw on for the TV series, but the set design, the costumes, the special effects, zero-gravity effects, the props, the characters, are all just spot on and it just keeps getting better. Shoreh Agdashloo and Wes Chatham absolutely nail their characters, Chatham especially, and having read the books I am really looking forward to seeing Amos in season 5.

15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I don't either, but the show is available from ... ahem ... alternate sources...

I know!
    I've read the books twice (eagerly awaiting the final one) and they're absolutely terrific!
    But the show man...Shoreh absolutely nails Avasarala, and Thomas Jane as detective Miller? Chills man, chills! It really is absolutely superb!

And the woman playing Drummer... need I say more?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2020
    Byron C likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

For me it's a toss-up between Amos and Chrisjen as my favourite characters. Amos has already gone through a great character arc by season/book 4, and from this point on his character develops so much more; but when I see the elegant, grandmotherly, and stunningly-dressed Shoreh Agdashloo saying lines like "Try not to put your d**k in this, it's f**ked enough already" or "That man's a**hole must be tight enough right now to bend space," I can't imagine any other actor doing that role!

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

While you're geeking out over The Expanse, might be interested to watch the Adam Savage stuff on youtube where he looks at some of their props with the prop master (There's a link in the description or comments to another one where they look at helmets and guns and whatnot):

Dracula - 8/10 - Unexpectedly enthralling. Although I wasn't super keen on the ending.

18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The Current War (Directors Cut) - 5/10
    Great cast but story felt flat and left me needing more, at least I'll go searching rather than accept what the film shows

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I already subscribe to Tested, have done for years :grin:.

liratheal likes this.
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Cara Gee. Drummer is a great character - it's a shame she isn't in the books. She seems to be a single character replacement for a couple of book characters (Bull and Pa).