1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone had really impacted wisdom teeth out with LOCAL anaesthetic?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 11 Jan 2020.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Here, they'll take them if they even look like they'll be a problem.

I didn't get the choice for my last oral surgery. It was general as they had to remove bone, muscle and nerve. They simply couldn't have done what they needed under local. Now I have no teeth at all, and fitting for dentures has been interesting, so far. I go back tomorrow for another fitting. Trying to fit where my jaw was broken has been difficult.

Good, you took things how I wanted them to be taken. All I want for you is a painless procedure and fast healing. I think it'll be done better under general, but after my experience I'm a bit biased.

Fast fact, watch your stitches if you have them. Mine burst after two days and the healing after that was ugly and painful. They stitched it too tight and I had a whole mouth dry socket for a month. That was misery. Thankfully they killed a fair few nerves (between that and the necrotic infection) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

2. oscy

oscy Modder

My pre-op got rearranged from next week to next month now. How long does it take afterwards for the actual surgery to happen? 'Cause I wonder if I'd decided local if it'd be getting done quicker.

3. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Pre-op to op is usually a week... well; it was when I had my Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery done.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had a seriously impacted one done under local. It was fine. I had it done privately.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've got two laterally impacted wisdom teeth in my lower jaw. That means they poke inwards. The dentist has advised that I try to avoid ever having them out because it will be a nightmare of a surgery - but if I do, she says it will 100% be general.

Go with whatever the experts say mate.

6. veato

veato I should be working

I had an impacted wisdom tooth out. It was a local so I had the pleasure of being wide awake. I don't know exactly what they did but there was some cutting of bone involved and I still have some root in there that couldn't come out.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I had a rotten molar removed under local, and it required part of my jaw to be drilled away (for access). This happened twice, and the surgery lasted around 50 mins each time. It was hell, and the worst part was the slow and painful recovery afterwards. Knowing what I now know, I'd never volunteer to have that done under local anaesthetic again!

8. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Had all four out under general in november. Two lower were badly impacted. Was under less than an hour and home by lunch. Painful for a week after wards but avoided dry socket thankfully. The effects of a mostly liquid diet with little fibre (doh) were actually worse!

9. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I had mine out by local anesthetic. It was totally fine. I actually prefer it that way.

10. oscy

oscy Modder

I made a Freedom Of Information request, because I'd rather be wrong and corrected than assume.

So I asked for the number of deaths, long-term complications or life-threatening incidents (eg. anaphylaxis, heart attack, cardiac arrest) suffered during surgery with the general anaesthetic being a direct cause.

I asked for just the 4 Oxford University hospitals (I think only 2 have surgery anyway) and a time period of 2007 (when the main hospital had a big revamp) to 2020. Not needlessly long, but no so short that the answer would just be 0... right?

The reply has come back: 200 instances.

In just the last 2 years.

[​IMG]

I think local will do me fine thanks. :dremel::D (artist's impression)

They couldn't do the full timeframe because there were so many. But I can change the parameters and timeframe if someone else wants a certain stat, like maybe just deaths in the last year.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2020
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Out of how many operations? If it's 200 out of 400, then sure, be cautious. If it's 200 out of 200,000,000, then that's a different kettle of fish.

I've had... five operations under general anaesthesia in my life, and I'm still here. If I need another, I ain't going to worry about it. If either of my daughters needed general anaesthesia, I wouldn't hesitate.

EDIT:
    Also, if you wouldn't mind breaking down those stats a bit:
    • How many of the 200 were deaths?
    • How many of the 200 were life-changing?
    • What is the age breakdown for those 200 events?
    • How many of those 200 were elective generals, rather than "we put you under and swap out your heart/lungs/whatever or you definitely die?"
    • An extension of the above: how many of the deaths had a terminal diagnosis without general-exclusive surgery?

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Out of how many operations conducted under a general in that time?

Guest-44638 likes this.
  13. oscy

oscy Modder

There's no stats like that because to fully investigate a request, it has to take max 18 hours, but it takes 20 minutes per record. Looking at the past 2 years (the "easily accessible" part) would've taken 66 hours alone.

They could only tell me that at a glance there were 200 "relevant records" but obviously it's too much of an undertaking to look in detail. They suggested I request looking up just deaths over a much-reduced timeframe, but that's no interest to me.

As for how many operations, apparently there's just under 3,000,000 general anaesthetic operations done in the UK per year, and there are 2000 hospitals. So we could be bad mathematicians and take all these rough numbers, then you get 3.3% (1 in 30) in my hospitals potentially involving anaesthetic-related 'serious incidents'.

I don't trust them anyway. The hospital's known for it's ****-ups unfortunately. I was confident we'd be fine from the coronavirus until it was reported a patient was being treated there. And what do you know, it's somehow already ended up in a prison 10 miles from the hospital. No one's surprised!

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Feels like you need a whole load more context before you can start drawing conclusions based on a number of 200 in isolation.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Out of every single time I've had a general, I've died exactly zero times.
    Widening the sample group five-fold to include my immediate family, still zero.
    So according to my data, there's a 0% chance of complications.

Statistics a-go-go!

I had an operation under a regional nerve block 6 weeks ago that necessitated four injections deep in my armpit and another three in my elbow, with lots of ultrasound-guided wiggling of the needle to boot. I was wishing I had asked for a general right about then.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

I've had one removed under local….I'll never forget the sound of it breaking while still attached in my life.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

It's awesome. :D