1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK0ZC8dX0AYkIWL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Where's that Pfffglrrpp gif when you need it.

If only it wasn't two thousand Euro.

It being the Phrozen Transform.

Edit: Been working on the Eliminators, which is more work than I anticipated owing to them gluing together in some weird ways. Glad I'm not building another six like this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2019
    [ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

That's class! I really need to get a printer.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nice, liking the camo. I really do need to pick some of those fellas up. Expensive for 3 guys though :(

5. liratheal

It really is. I'll be buying some for a set of bolt rifles and las fusils so I'll have some spare bodies and bits if you want to throw me an address to send them to?

6. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I used to paint Warhammer figures up until around 25-30 years ago and back then it was more of an excuse to sit down with my mates and listen to Maiden. Ive been following this thread at a distance and, having seen Naloac' s Reivers, have been inspired to get into the game. Im putting together a Imperial Fists Chapter while hes going the Ultra Marines route. Hes still 10 and while I enjoy the time spent paininting with him I will be honest and say I havent actually got a clue where to start with the game itself. I have picked up First Strike for him (yet to be opened) and picked up some sprues off ebay. Is First Strike enough to get going or do we need to get hold of the Codex etc?

[​IMG]DSC_0148 (1) by Lankius Maximus, on Flickr

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
    liratheal and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

You know what, I'm going to go right out and say I'm flattered by that :D Unless it's a case of mine were garbage and you wish to show me up by how to *really* paint! In which case, game on!

First Strike will absolutely give you enough to get a feel for the game if it's been a decade or so! It's basics, but it's a start.

I'd go out and say that until you're confident you want to go the whole hog with an army, maybe try Kill Team?

That way even your son can dabble with forces without a massive outlay.

Lankius Maximus and liratheal like this.
  8. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I was being genuine! That green colour scheme was superb!... And thanks for advice, going the Kill Team route looks about perfect.

liratheal and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  9. liratheal

Kill Teams are a lot of fun to build and paint, although I've not played the game so can't speak to that aspect of it. The freedom for various chapters is very nice from a painting perspective.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I actually had my first game of Kill Team tonight with a work colleague as we're on the road for a couple of days.

Brought a stack of Necrons (5 x Warriors, 2 Deathmarks, 1 x Flayed One) and my Primaris (4 x Intercessors, 2 x Reivers).

We used slightly simplified rules, as we were just sussing it out.

First note, turns are fast and even with a fair few models on the table, we were getting through turns in less than 5 minutes. Full game took less than 40 minutes.
    Great fun overall though. A few things that I know now though;

1) Take Stalker Bolt Rifles for keeping range and better AP if playing base games.
    2) Close combat can get tied up for a bit unless you have something that wounds a bit easier or shreds armour. We had a Flayed one up against 2 Reivers (sarge and standard) and they were locked up in combat for 3 turns. 3+ to wound, 4+ to save, 3 or 4+ to save.... hard to kill either side.
    3) Don't be afraid to drop out of combat to try and line up a better shot from elsewhere.
    4) Terrain, terrain, terrain. More is better.

11. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Finally got the motivation and will to put brush to model over the weekend and made a start on a couple of wee chunky boys.

First up is the latest White Dwarf model, Tech Priest Grombrindal:
    Just blocking in and some very basic shading so far:

[​IMG]

Next up is good old Typhus, painting him up in a filthy version of Heresy era colours as I really don't like the GW green scheme for these guys:

[​IMG]

Going to try and get him to be finished along the same line as the other Plague Marines that I have done a while back, thankfully I don't need to remember exactly how I did them as it's pretty much a case of paint them cream, green, and bronze, basic highlight then throw dirty washes on them and other assorted nastiness until they look appropriately grim:

[​IMG]

[ZiiP] NaloaC and liratheal like this.
  13. liratheal

Since GW won't give me a new Helbrecht or Grimaldus, I've started making my own. With blackjack. And hookers.

[​IMG]

I saw someone use a Dark Apostle for Helbrecht recently, and it tickled my pickle, so I'm making my own. While I'm at it, I decided to use the DA chaplain to make a different Grimaldus.

I'll be splicing parts from the original models in, too. And then more green stuff, I've no doubt.

Which, in turn, means that when they're painted GW will release new BT models.

Cerberus90 likes this.
  14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Anyone with a resin 3d printer able to print a model for me? I can pay cash moneys or bits in exchange :)

15. 13eightyfour

My Elegoo Mars is being a little temperamental at the moment, the garage is a little too cold for it, but I can drag it in the house and get something printed over the weekend if it'll fit the build plate? I'd only ask to cover the postage really.

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Oh that would be class but don't go to any trouble. I'm just looking to get Thrall printed from the Atrel W pack that I posted earlier.

That's what has put me off getting a resin printer so far, not being able to print for a few months in the shed in winter.

17. 13eightyfour

I'll drag it in the house tonight and get the files downloaded, is it just the Thrall?

18. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Thrall and the chapter master if that's ok?

19. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

How much does it smell when you print ? ive heard some printer / Resins smell like utter dog arse when the machine is running, but some people say its nowhere near as bad

20. 13eightyfour

No Problem, I'll get them on at some point over the weekend.

I'm using the Elegoo branded resin and honestly can't smell it at all unless I'm stood right next to it with the lid/cover off, the only reason the printers aren't in the house is because of the noise, not smell. Maybe this resin is less pungent than others?! It's impossible to smell the resin at all if I've got the cover off the IPA container!