1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Since a HDPlex 400w AC-DC will be used going forward, I decide to design an external 'case' for it to match. The design should allow for adequate cooling from all sides. What you see below is the final print ready version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate, Dot_Kappa and Arboreal like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Are we modding the power brick now too? :lol: Don't go starting a new trend.

3. craigbru

Sure, why not? Haha, nothing is safe! It it exists, it can be modded.

4. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Dayum. Missed this log, nice to see you back at it Craig!

5. craigbru

Thanks! Yeah, progress is still a little slow, but it is progress just the same.

6. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Well, I know from experience dont rush stuff. Just build when you feel like it and enjoy it. :)

craigbru likes this.
  7. craigbru

Believe me, I know as well. I've always been busy with a project of some kind, even if it wasn't related to computer modding. However, I've now circled back around, and well, here we are!

So, another very small update here. I received my low profile PCIE connectors, and with the help of some PCB board and more 3D printing, I've got a cool idea for a single power connector. I'll see if I can make progress on that this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

flix, Cheapskate and arduum like this.
  8. arduum

arduum Minimodder

9. Cheapskate

Neat. :D Although I've had some single connectors that threatened to rip off the pcb they were so tight.
    Also; the gpu maker needs to add a space in the name. I read that as one word and thought, "ermagerd! Geforcertck!"

Boledile likes this.
  10. craigbru

Uh, it's been a while since I've made an update. Almost 4 years? It doesn't seem possible. Of course I got sidetracked again. It's now been long enough that I was due for a hardware upgrade, so I took care of that problem. The only downside is that the little 400w HDPLEX PSU was no longer up to the task. I ended up ordering a 500w GaN from HDPLEX instead. So, why bring any of this up now? The new hardware won't fit in the previous case design. Yes, that means I'm currently in the middle of the redesign of a case I've yet to finish completely even once.

I do have few new tools at my disposal however, including 2 new 3D printers. A Peopoly Forge and Bambu X1C w/ AMS have joined the arsenal...

Arboreal and perplekks45 like this.
  11. Cheapskate

Posts, runs for President, posts, travels to Mordor, posts, starts a war in Africa, posts... :lol: The worst part is you aren't even the slowest builder here.
    I look forward to seeing your reply after you colonize the moon.

12. craigbru

Haha, you aren't far off. I've deviated and updated so many times compared to when I started this log. I sometimes feel like I really shouldn't update this same thread, but then again, it's kinda fun and nostalgic to see all the iterations. I'm sure it's super confusing for anyone that only skims over these posts, but eh, it is what it is.

My biggest problem seems to be that I lock myself into un-upgradable designs. I know hardware is always changing and need to account for that. However, with my non-traditional layouts and the desire to keep things a small as possible, I sometimes back myself into a corner. Although I had quite a few parts finished for the last version, I just couldn't find new hardware that would reasonably fit in the space available. At least not with the peformance I wanted. The newest revision does take a little more of that into account. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I better get ready for launch. The moon is calling!