1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Pi-hole

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElThomsono, 17 Jan 2020.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Is anyone running one?

I saw creative and liratheal mention them, and my brother-in-law has one so I decided to give it a shot. Put basically it's a local DNS server that deliberately fails to return data from known ad servers so it can block ads and tracking metrics at a network level.

I'm running mine on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it's more than capable. Overall I'm undecided on it as it can be a bit heavy handed (Laura can't understand why clicking the paid Google result doesn't work any more) but I quite like how it speeds things up and stops me getting annoying targeted ads.

The dashboard says it's currently blocking 27.5% of DNS queries, so it goes to show just how much of internet traffic is useless dross :hehe:

Arboreal likes this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You say useless dross, you mean is the main income stream for free websites? :p

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

Been running one a while now and love it! I have it on the network running dchp so I didnt have to configure each device. Set static IP's for each device and then spent a bit of time going through the queries in real time whilst the network is being used and filtered out some more crap!

Interesting watching all the MS stuff getting blocked lol

running about 22% being blocked.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

There are good ads and bad ads. Bournemouth Echo website that spins a laptop fan up to max as it tries to process poorly coded shite? Bad. Bit-tech ads relevant to the site, always kept running lightweight, unobtrusive? Good. They still show by the way.

But mostly it's nice not to see clickbait and those continuous streams of things advertising products you searched for once. For a prime example go and look at an Arcteryx jacket, see what you think of the price. They will hound you online for weeks to come.

Bloody_Pete and Arboreal like this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If my old (poss gen 2 B) RPi could hack it I'd really be happy to lose the horrors of the Bournemouth Echo if nothing else.

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It will run on any pi, even a zero (although this will require a network adapter). You'll need a 16GB SD card.

I followed this guide, which covers all the basics; I'd never used a pi before and it made it effortless.

A touch more difficulty making it work with a Virgin Media router as it won't allow a custom DNS, instead you have to let the pi do all the DHCP and you're in business.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Brilliant reply ET, that's super useful thanks. Particularly so as we're with VM here.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Been running one for a while on an ubuntu VM, and more recently hosting another for a buddy.

Wouldn't venture out into the big bad internet without it!

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yup. Still running mine.

Things I will say about PiHole:

Run it in conjunction with a browser based adblocker.
    Put a firewall/NAT rule in to force devices with hardcoded DNS to go via the PiHole.
    Curate the blocklists. Make use of the regex functions rather than the e-peen "I have ten bajillion blocked domains".
    As always, it's DNS. When something doesn't work. It's DNS. Always check the PiHole isn't blocking it first. EG: Got a PiHole and not getting Xbox achievements? The default lists block some of the XBL sites.

I'd also say that if you make use of wpa_supplicant.conf and a file ssh in the boot folder of raw Raspbian, you can use a ZeroW without an additional network adaptor. I ran my ZeroW over wifi and experienced no difference in browsing speeds than it running on the 4 it's on now.

YMMV, though, depending on number of devices.

ElThomsono likes this.
  10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Been running mine for a couple of years now and i love it.

I used it with BT VDSL, using it with VM now. I use my own router (Asus AC86U) which runs the DHCP in the house and points at the pi-hole.

Its run faultlessly for me, currently blocking 18.5% of queries in the house, this was 30% before I reinstalled when the previous SD card died but my daughter got an iPhone at the same time so she wasnt using her adware laden android any more, hence the reduction.

I've only ever found 2 sites that i needed to whitelist, everything else works fine. Its perfect for the 20 odd devices in the house, really improves the internet experience. So much so that I find it a massive shock when using the net on 4G out and about - i forget just how much ad spam there is.

I wouldn't be without it.

I SSH onto mine every few months to update the distribution it runs on, it updates its blocklists automatically.

ElThomsono likes this.
  11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

started using it via pi zero, it works fine over wifi started off with adding our samsung tv to it just to see what it would block, now every thing goes trough it and added a amazon fire tv usb ethernet/power dongle to it. also if anyone has kids who play freebie games with pop-up ads on tablets inc kids fire hds it does a great job of blocking them

ElThomsono likes this.
  12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Last edited: 19 Jan 2020