1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEFINITELY over thinking it...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 19 Jan 2020.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jun 2020
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You are overthinking it as in previous threads I believe.
    People run cards at 100% 24/7 for months/years, I don't know what 'a tad warm' means to you, but unless it's sitting at 100C all the time there should be no problems there.
    Asking your card to do more work isn't a thing (as far as I'm aware at least, happy to be told I'm wrong), it'll just not be able to produce as good a frame rate etc if it doesn't have the processing power.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

How are you running 1440p? through VSR? or native?

Do note that not all games support it, and will crash. Many do though. I'm guessing it's not native.

4. Vault-Tec

Yeah, see some games really don't like it and will act funny and crash. You may need to make sure it's windowed or full screen? ICR. (I can't remember) but yeah, it's not all plain sailing. Older games simply don't like it and the same goes for DSR.

5. Vault-Tec

Theoretically performance using VSR @ 1440p or native 1440p is about the same. You're still driving out the pixels at the higher counts.

Try FC5 or something. I played through both of those (and the one that came out after) at very high res using a Apple 1680x1050? display. The Vega 64 loved every minute.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If you can feel heat being exhaused from the case then everything is doing what it should be - that's the point of exhaust fans. Even my 1080ti hybrid which runs cool (50ºC when at 100% load) exhausts a noticable amout of heat. In the past when I had SLI air cooled 780s (I think, or maybe 680s) it was like having a space heater under my desk.

7. Vault-Tec

Yeah, Vegas do that. That's the downside on AMD. With performance comes niggly things you have to put up with.

We've been discussing this on another forum as it goes. Apparently 5700 and XT get very hot and loud when overclocked, and consume lots of power. This is an issue AMD have had for years. They are playing catch up, so need to raise the limits of what is acceptable to get close to the perf per price. Which is a shame, but that is just how it is.

It's funny because when Fermi came out there was a huge deal made about it. Now? people don't seem to care.

What I will say is that living with this 2070s on air is the most pleasant experience I've had since slapping an absolutely enormous green Zalman cooler on my GTX 470.

Still buying an AIO bracket for it on Tuesday though.

8. Vault-Tec

It'll throttle at 80, IIRC. My 2070s overclocked runs around 55c tops in very demanding games, just to put it into perspective. IIRC this room is 3m x 2.5 and even in winter it was unbearable with the Vega. It was like a steam room.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Running at 100% is fine, and 70ish is fine as well, up to you if you want to increase fan speeds to reduce temps if you don't mind the extra noise, play around with settings in msi afterburner or a similar program.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Even with my watercooling I feel the heat, as it all has to go somewhere! So you are over reacting. Unless its throttling speeds from overheating there's nothing to worry about. Just up the cooler fan speed if it is.

And the reason is youre 1050ti barely uses any power by comparison, so of course it'll feel cooler :p

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I haven't done the maths, but surely for the cost of adding water to your 56 you'd be better off selling it and getting a better/more efficient card on air?

12. Vault-Tec

Sorta. They boost way higher on water. So not only do you get peace you also get much better performance.

I wouldn't spend out on water just for the GPU but if I were considering water cooling my whole rig I'd deffo get the Vega in on the action. They're so much better under water.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As long as the temps remain in the double digits there is nothing to worry about regarding GPU longevity etc.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Mid 50's. That's low for air.

I consider anything below 80 very good (when in a small case).

In the new bigger case i'm usually 60s, some 70s - all perfectly dandy.

15. Vault-Tec

My 64 would do that also, but only at around 1350mhz. Not the 1500+ I hoped for. Touch the clocks and it got very angry very fast. For the advertised clocks I'd need 100% fan speed or it would crash.

16. Vault-Tec

Then you're sorted tbh.

17. Vault-Tec

Yeah. Totally.