1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Is this what you're aiming for...?

Dr. Coin likes this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The second biggest ship shown is the one I'm building. If the instructions for the Tyrant are ever released, I'll gladly build it (SPOILER: they won't).

LennyRhys and Guest-44638 like this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Woohoo! Book 1/8 complete!

[​IMG]

Really happy to reach this point, with the model on its supports. It's very sturdy and can be held with one hand from pretty much any point.

Time to have lunch and decide whether I take a break to build something else, or carry on. Not to mention I now have several PC games lined up for playing.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2020
    IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Decided to work on the SD a little more as I still haven't completely sorted the parts for the fighters:

[​IMG]

Sleeping quarters installed. Canteen next...

I'm off next weekend to spend time with friends, so I'll be picking this up in a fortnight's time.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2020
    adidan likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So I read through this, and damn you @Pete J. Because I now want to buy/build this:

[​IMG]

UCS-scale Colonial Viper MkII from Battlestar Galactica (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-9424/davdup/colonial-viper-mkii/#comments).

Any advice on buying parts? I've been looking on BrickLink and I can't see any UK store that has all the parts available. I don't mind having to clean up some used parts if it brings the price down, but all I'm finding is 'New' condition parts... If I can't reasonably get my hands on the parts then it kinda kills this idea. It'd be a while before I'm in a position to actually start buying anyway...

adidan, IanW and Pete J like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'd been looking at this too - I like your style! Just in case you didn't know, Brickvault do a package detail with this, the Raptor and the Raider.

I gave it a go, and the cheapest I could get it (combining new and used parts) was £300 for all parts when using Easy Buy. With all UK suppliers, it was £200 for 99% of parts, but more orders. Unfortunately, this seems about right - MOC building isn't cheap.

My advice would be to keep trying the Easy Buy and Uk buying options to see how the price fluctuates for the next fortnight at least. Lego prices are quite volatile - I'm keeping an eye on buying a Return of the Jedi diorama an in one week it fluctuated up and down between £140-200.

I buy parts new (because I'm OCD!) but accidentally bought some 'used' parts. I couldn't tell the difference to be honest! The Lego community are a nice bunch and I highly doubt you would end up with parts that would need cleaning up. Really used Lego (i.e. teeth marks etc.) tends to just get sold altogether in a cheap bundle.

If you're willing to wait a few months, Lego has actually recently acquired Bricklink. They're letting things run as normal (and certainly want the MOC community to continue) but in the future, this may help you as I reckon they'll start officially selling new parts, even going so far as to rerelease out of 'print' Lego, as well as stabilising prices.

Anyway, good luck, and if you do take the plunge, make sure you post updates!

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I saw that, it's awfully tempting to have all three. I reckon I'd have the most fun building the Cylon Raider though; it's crying out to have a small LED strip installed to give it the authentic 'eye' :grin:.

There's also a 'Super Scale' Battlestar Galactica available, and... wow: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-23242/OnTheEdge/battlestar-galactica-super-scale/#comments

Huh, I'll have another look. I couldn't see any specific option to combine new & used parts, and the embedded links on Rebrickable seem to take an absolute age to respond - the BrickLink API often times out...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind used parts; anything that's dirty can be easily cleaned (it's Lego, this stuff is pretty resilient!), and any individual parts that are outright damaged probably wouldn't be expensive to replace on their own.

I'm in no rush. This is firmly in the 'when the debts are paid off and I can splurge a little' category of spending! :grin: Though I may never get round to it, as there are quite a few other things in that category - new PC and a VR headset being top of the list!

Pete J likes this.
  8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Must. Stop. Looking. At. MOCs.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Aggressor is sweet. The Tyrant tho... another level of incredible.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Bricklink's supposed to be adding a 'share wishlist feature' in the future - I'll gladly share it with you so you can get it working when you want to.
    No. Look at more. LOOK AT MORE.
    If I won the lottery, I'd offer the guy a serious amount of money for it, or to build me one too! I'm not brave enough to take on the task of designing one myself.

So, I've been a little bit silly and also ordered parts for this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not bothering with the royal guard though.

And...I've bought the instructions for this because it's EFFING AMAZING:

[​IMG]

This is a long term project - I might start acquiring parts near the end of this year (as in the end of 2020!). Should give me enough time to figure out how to convert it to right hand drive. Maybe. I'll be keeping an eye on prices too. At the moment it'd cost less than the UCS Millennium Falcon or the new UCS Star Destroyer - but not by much.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's got me wondering, what is a weekly Stormtrooper menu like on a Destroyer?

Vegan and gluten free options?

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No progress on the SD, but I saw instructions for this and had to get them:

[​IMG]

Probably buy the parts next month. And then no more Lego buying.

I promise.

Maybe.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Either way, it'll be served on a damp tray...

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

A "Ripley vs Alien Queen" suit...?

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm not worried about gluten free but, I certainly don't want to be eating any vegans.

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

They do repeat on you.

The_Crapman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's the sprouts...

adidan likes this.
  18. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

How much control/function does that have? Think you need to find a suitably scaled xenomorph figure to match...

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There's little knobs at the bases of the actuators so you can pose it. However, I'm holding off buying it as it needs the stickers to do it justice. In regards to the xenomorph, there's a nice model of one on Rebrickable. Might have to think about it.

I accidentally the parts for the GT 500.

:rollingeyes:

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

God this thread makes me want to buy and build lego so badly. Having a 4 year old and a 1 year old I can see that being a horrific idea. Maybe in a decade or so...