1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI reports not all RX 5600 XTs can use new vBIOS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Jan 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is pretty poor stuff.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Very, very daming of AMD's behaviour for a board partner to speak out like this. They should have dropped the price to kill the 1660ti/super, but instead have shot themselves in the face. If there is a big navi to come this year, they better give themselves a thorough slap in the face and sort out their drivers and launch practices.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Radeon Technology Group right now...

[​IMG]

If not this then the continuing shitshow that are the GPU drivers.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

One of the reasons Intel has a better shot at becoming an actual GPU competitor than AMD has against Nvidia in the future. AMD makes extremely terrible decisions and piss off all partners with kneejerk, moronic decisions and terrible software regularly.

6. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Even if Nvidia hadn't reduced the prices it was getting too close to the 5700 in price. The budget cards at $280 just about had a place but any decent ones were $300-$340 at which point you'd be better of buying a 5700. It's still the case - you could buy a stock card at $280 which is most likely to have problems being flashed, but any card with better memory/cooling is going to be more expensive in which case buy a 5700 as that has been properly validated and will be faster again.

I think the reason people who might have bought a 5600/5700 are actually turning to the 2060 at the new price is due to drivers. So many have been burnt by dodgy Navi drivers that the general consensus is if you can get an equivalent Nvidia card for similar money you're better off doing that. I am sure AMD's drivers will improve but it is another major failing (Vega was the same) - the drivers for the first year of any new AMD arch tend to be particularly buggy. All those determined to give AMD a go get stung by driver issues and decide they'd prefer to pay the Nvidia tax next time then have to go through that hassle again.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2020
  7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The years only just got started and AMD have already won an award...the worst product launch of 2020.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So essentially they've released a 5600XT and a 5600.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    That seems quite accurate.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We can probably award it to them now though as you'd have go some to match this release.

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I dunno, considering even tech reviewers/journo's are getting confused by Intel's road-map of releases for the next year or so, we could have a couple of contenders yet...

(Seriously, between Ice, Comet and Tiger, plus the existing half launches of Whisky and Cannon Lake, and all the refreshes of Sky/Coffee Lake, I genuinely don't have a f*&%^g clue what it new, old or half and half anymore)

monty-pup and Guest-44638 like this.
  12. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

This is why I’m dreading my next upgrade. And I wasn’t keen on the amount of research I had to do on my last one either. It’s not funny. It’s damn confusing what’s what between chipset numbering, cpu socket numbering, cpu naming and gfx card numbering.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2020
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good job you don't need a monitor too, their naming systems always look like a random hand grab of scrabble tiles.

monty-pup likes this.
Tags: Add Tags