1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why you're net isnt working properly....

Discussion in 'General' started by lukemm, 25 Nov 2003.

1. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

If you're like me on NTL or other UK isps you might have been having issues.... here's why.

One of the 2 main links between usa and uk went down... the other one went down start of Nov and they havent been able to repair them, they both handle bout 640gbits of data, and its just not happening at the moment, hence no messenger, no hotmail etc if you're in the UK at the moment till the routers reprioritise routes.

that AND..... i just got this message....

UK Internet Services hackers are attempting to bring down UK ISP's with DDoS attacks on DNS servers, expect complete loss / slow service from, ntl, bt, blueyonder, demon, pipex and freeserve, currently un-affected are nildram :: All part of a hacker competition called the loft.

hmmmm :lol:

I have an assignment to do and i cant do it! GRRR, i can see it now.... 'Sir, can i have an extention becasue there are these guys and they think its funny to knock out the UK's Internet' :(

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I'm on bt and im fine so far. Slightly laggy on games but thats just bt for you. But that might explain why my m8s connection has gone tits up, mind you it don't help when the isps dns is fecked.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Fine here - BY :)

4. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

apparently if you set up a custom dns server you should be fine, so ive been told, but im having issues getting details to plug in :( lol...

sOOOOO SLOWWWWWWWW

5. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

everythings fine here, hotmail, msn the lot, only thing is IE occasionally doesnt load the page fisrt time, usually does 2nd time. Have noticed its been a bit slow mind.

6. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

I'm having problems occuring with some pages. Most are accessible after a few tries.

The majority of the outage from my perspective is the west coast of america, there seems to be a few sites in other places going down too. I suspect the chance aspect of it maybe through which transatlantic link it's taking though.

Crackers are ****ing annoying though, what do they expect us to do, laugh and say "ahhh yes taking the internet down is funny - have a cookie"?
    ****s.

Alaric.

7. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

I'm on Nildram and it was briefly playing funny a couple of hours ago... seems to be better now. May or may not be related to this.

8. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Everything bar Google dissapeared for me earlier. :grr: :rolleyes:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Same here, lost all internet yesterday for a few hours but my torrents kept going. Saying that we had a blackout for 2 hours so that was worse.

10. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I could only just run Messenger on my NTL cable last night, has been good for ages. Now i know what was up! Grrr

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Same here, but I'm on Pipex ADSL. Luckily it seemed to recover itself at about 21:00ish, so I wasn't forced to talk to RTT all night.... ;)

12. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

glad i could shed some light.

I couldnt get anything to work last night except kazza and IRC, didnt get total internet back till about 1am, but glad its back :)

13. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I didnt have any problems except i couldnt reply to any threads on here for some strange reason, and Picophone the voice conf software disconnected a couple of times

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I've had no problems at all. Gotta love Private DNS Servers :D

15. Vixen

Vixen What's a Dremel?

Ahh, so that would explain why 512k BY was acting like 56k AOL last night with nothing downloading.....

16. sambo

sambo What's a Dremel?

last night couldent see any webpages at all unless i used there ip

i could use only IRC and msn.

Woke up this morning and its working yay :clap:

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I'm on Pipex ADSL (1Mb :p) and had the same as most people, a few sites took a couple of tries to load up last night. All seems fine now though. Maybe a giant sea-monster has been chewing and the transatlantic fibres?

18. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Heh... TAT-14 (thats the name of the cable route) is only about 2 years old and it's broken already :rolleyes:

19. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

im on by and its been playing up recently, like not getting any internet access but my modem and router saying everything is hunky dorry (cant believe i just put that). on the most part its fine, except for last night when i wanted to do my ucas application

20. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

My connection was tits up yesterday! I couldnt do my maths coursework on the physics of Rollercoasters! :wallbash: Im on Blueyonder!

-A-