1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice If you won the Lotto, would you still build your own PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 16 Feb 2020.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I retract my comment, yup I'd do the same.

2. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

New big house with a bigger shed (workshop) at the moment its just storage no workspace. If I put a tower together it's done on the kitchen table.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Only a 27" screen? Tut!

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The point is you've won the lottery :p

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just walllmount 3x Apple XDR displays (and then moan for the rest of your life that normal GPUs don't ship with a TB3 connector).

MLyons likes this.
  6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

My idea for paying a skilled modder to produce a custom case has now advanced onto the idea of building one of those fancy water-feature walls and having a liquid cooled PC as the centrepiece for it... I mean, if you've got the money to kill then why not go insane with the build?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Or GPU's can't game on it for several years :p

8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'm not sure how much I would build myself vs. design and have made. I'm a designer by profession (architect) and enjoy the planning parts, but have always had limited time/money and too many project ideas. If money were no object I could finally complete all those builds without worry of cost, and could hire out all of the stuff I hate. And I definitely have a backlog of ideas that I don't have the budget to complete.

Gabe Newell is pretty much in this situation. He's "money is no object, I do what I want" rich. The hardware/maker labs that he owns have machines in the millions of dollars. That would probably make things easier and open up new possibilities in how you could design.

I would probably end up with several purpose-built machines. One for flight sims, one for racing sims, large VR rooms with rigs, an at-home LAN setup, some slice-of the decade setups where I maintain compatibility with old peripherals like the Novint Falcon and various hand tracking devices and their now-dead games because hardware compatibility is limited to older OS's and the software is no longer updated.

Otherwise, I'd probably build a rig every now and then for fun, but mostly just buy pre-builts.

Dr. Coin likes this.
  9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I'm not really into the whole modding/RGB kipper, so would more than likely buy 'the best' available off the shelf gear and pack it into a top notch case.
    I wonder if 2X RTX Titans coupled with a high end Threadripper etc would be able to play Deus Ex @ 4K with 8XMSAA?

10. Hardware_Numb3rs

Hardware_Numb3rs What's a Dremel?

Only one? I will build everything :D and I'll buy a liquid nitrogen generator all for myself :)

11. Diletta Graziosi

Diletta Graziosi What's a Dremel?

with unlimited money i think i'll get a proper room for modding and building, with cnc, lasers, tools and build all day long

interesting answer, never heard someone said that, but i agree that could be very interesting, but in that case you will need really A LOT of money

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Mar 2020