1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 5 Years on, looking for a general upgrade once again.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Razgrad, 13 Feb 2020.

?

How come this is one "of the few" still functioning tech forums out there?

1. Forums died long ago

6.3%
  2. Our Community --> Mortality

28.1%
  3. Because forum is run by capable people, giving away knowledge and passion to the confused population

71.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The Phanteks one Vault-Tec mentioned would require one of these as well:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...hoo-pro-m-p400-evolv-atx-p400s-ca-038-pt.html

Because out of the box the case only supports two HDDs.

And yes, that would put you roughly £10 above budget, but honestly it is worth it over the *shudder" CIT *shudder* stuff.

(the NZXT one mentioned also has some issues, mainly around CPU cooler clearance... as long as you use a small / stock cooler it would work, but would probably just end up annoying you down the line).

2. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Ok I made my choice. Thanks @Vault-Tec and @Anfield @spolsh for their advices and support.
    I went for the following items. I switched the CPU as I found a good deal on an *Open box* 5-3600, for only £142.61 , this CPU is better on paper and the price is great. Since I am not going to be streaming, I don't need the 7-2700x .
    Here are all items I will buy.

Case - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stormfor...ower-Gaming-Case-ATX-M-ATX-M-ITX/264202706423

RAM - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-...16GB-2x8GB-DDR4-DRAM-3600MHz-C18/352966051612

Mainboard - https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...rbo-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler-Open-Box-/CPU0601X/

CPU - https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...rbo-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler-Open-Box-/CPU0601X/

I have selected a newer CPU , went for the 5-3600 insted of the 7-2700x or 5-2600x ( The 5-3600 is an Open Box item with 12 moths warrenty so saving of about £10)
    For the Mainboard I opted for slightly more expensive one, at £70 to be able to get not 4 but 6 SATA ports, as I might need a new hdd soon.
    For the RAM i choose 16 GB @3600 mhz for future proofing the system.
    and the Case is the cheap option , still looks functional. I thank you for the suggested case, but this one is brand new and has many bays. Also my son would love the looks of it.

Total cost :
    £142.61 + £69.99 + £39.99 + £79.99 = £328.59 I bit above what I was hoping, but I am very pleased. Thanks all.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

At least the nzxt should be solid and not draw blood.

Razgrad and Guest-44638 like this.
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Board link is the same as CPU one, but assuming it'll be a B450 board, be aware many of the 6 SATA port B450's lose two SATA ports if you ever get an NVME m2 drive for it.

Razgrad likes this.
  5. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Yes, Ive read that about the NVME drives, and yes the board is a B450 Variant https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...d-mATX-RAID-LAN-AMD-Radeon-Graphics-/MBD2486/
    I will probably not going to get an NVME drive anytime soon, so its ok.

Thanks.

6. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Ok Gents,
    I stayed until 3am last night to build the new rig, had to salvage the remaining components from the old one etc... And as @Vault-Tec sort of predicted ... I left some DNA on that stupid( but shiny) Case :D Cut my finger while trying to cable manage the stuff.

I am yet to read about overclocking , and how to do it without overdoing it.

I also found out why the CPU was in "box opened" condition - although it all looked fine, it did not want to fit in the socket, and after 30 minutes of double-triple checking if I have the right components and how it all clicks together - I noticed something did not look right on the light reflecting off of the pins, and at closer inspection realized that there are 2 pins slightly bent. With a bit of sweat it all came nicely together. Then installing the heatsink was just as frustrating, because the bracket at the back of the board falls down if u try to mount the sink horizontally, and If you do it vertically, you need an extra pair of hands ... Anyways now looking towards testing.

Now I've got the GTX 970 by Gainward ( never heard of this manufaturer before I bought the card second hand). Although not particularly bad card, I got the buzz now to basically complete the upgrade, but with no budget left I will have to sell something.

May I ask a good place to sell my current GPU, old CPU ( with sink), Mainboard, 2x4GB DDR3 RAM + 2x2GB DDR3, and toss a well aged case for free ?
    No PSU, NO HDDS, NO rear fan on the case. And also how much do you think I should be looking for ?

Parts below. Pictures if some interest, I am too Lazy to go downstairs to take a few right now.

Case - Coolermaster Elite 430 - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/coo...ormance-case-with-side-window-120mm-front-led Aged well. Survived many fights with my son.

The other items on the attached files :

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• CPU.jpg
      CPU.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • GPU.jpg
      GPU.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
    • MOBO.jpg
      MOBO.jpg
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
    • RAM.jpg
      RAM.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Vault-Tec

IIRC with the 3000 Ryzens there is no point in overclocking as Precision Boost does it all, no?

Just check your ram is running at the correct speed and you should be set.

8. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Is Facebook Marketplace the way to sell these days ? I see it being very popular...

9. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Probably somewhere in the £75 - 100 range.

11. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

The listing on E-bay sold for about £58 for the CPU and RAM and Mainboard, I was expecting a bit more, but well, it is what it is. I am now going to list the remaining. Thanks for the GPU suggested preice, I will set my starting bids accordingly.

Cheers.

12. Vault-Tec

TBH it wasn't worth a lot more. It's seriously power hungry and very slow by today's standards. You should have split it really. The RAM could have done quite well.

13. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hey Guys,
    A quick question in regards to the selected Motherboard on this build.
    It has been over one year and it all runs smoothly , however I now need an additional fast storage to use as my boot drive.
    All my SATA slots are occupied currently with 2x SSDs and 4xHDDs. If I go for a new 1TB M.2 NVME SSD would I be able to still use all 6 SATA ports or I loose 2 ports if i go the M.2 route?
    Also will any NVME drive fit my MOBO ?
    The exact MOBO model I have is :
    ASUS Ryzen PRIME B450M-A II AM4 mATX Motherboard
    https://www.ebuyer.com/1139348-asus...5UBxG1J9FwpOY6pOo3G9_Lo9WyRf_L6saAi05EALw_wcB

Thanks

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Manual says you lose some SATA :
    [​IMG]

Razgrad likes this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You have a couple of PCIe x1 gen 2 slots , these could be used with a pci express 2 port sata controller and allow you to put two hard drive from your motherboard on to there, PCIe x1 gen2 is capable of 500MB/s which is enough for 2 spinning discs or 1 SSD more or less, assuming I have my bits and bytes correct, I still fail on the fundamentals :blush:, so you could make it work that way. They are not very expensive 10-20quid.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The poll needs a fourth option: I come here because none of the other forums will have me.

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm surprised that any M.2 use kills the SATA ports. I can't get the product page up or see the manual right now...
    Usually an NVMe M.2 drive in an NVMe/SATA M.2 slot only disables PCIe slots, not SATA ports :confused:

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Really it should drop from 4x to 2x on NVMe as they are using the lanes from the NVMe slot to provide SATA 5 and 6 but I guess they are just disabling to avoid the complaints of someone moaning that My NVMe doesn't work at the right speed in this board etc. and getting unnecessary RMA.

19. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was quite busy and just had the time to check the forum.
    My guess was proven correct and I will lose 2 Ports as it seems. However I like the solution that @sandys suggested. Is the following product the correct item to buy? By the looks of it there are 4 ports (2 internal and 2 external) and I can use only 2 of these ports at any given time. Obviosly I will use the internal ones to keep it all clean, but its good to have the option of external ports, in case I need it in the future.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-SATA-Express-Controller-Red-Silver/dp/B00952N2DQ?th=1

When it comes to m2 nvme drives, can you suggest a reliable brand/model 1TB up to ~£100 + or - a few quid.
    I found this Crucial P5 drive, slightly over my budget, perhaps there is a good alternative to it, that is also a bit cheaper?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT...80SS/dp/B087QRVVVH?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I have both items in my basket, just waiting for your feedback guys. Thanks.

20. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That SATA card will work fine. I see there is an option there for 4x internal SATA but it’s temporarily out of stock, maybe google the part number and see if it’s available anywhere else? Alternatively, here is a 4-port card on Scan that looks pretty much identical: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lyc...ernal-4-port-low-profile-pcie-20-host-adapter

Check out the Crucial P1, about £95 for 1TB. It’s slightly older, but you won’t notice any difference in speed in the real world.