1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ok... but that's not my fault! :grin:

TBH I don't mind Bluetooth headphones, I quite like not having cables dragging everywhere and these days you can get amazing battery life. I started using Bluetooth headphones about 10 years ago, with a really uncomfortable set of Motorola things. They've come a long way since then...

Of course my phone still has a 3.5mm jack, and so do many others on the market...

Apple dropped it so they could make phones thinner and slightly reduce their BOM cost by offloading the DAC to an external device.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've the Nokia 7.2, and it does AptX HD - and I can't say I've noticed any latency in a few dozen hours of Netflix on the thing.
    'cos the 3.5mm jack, while cheap and extremely functional, is pretty tall. Since manufacturers started making "now 0.1mm thinner!" a selling point, every tiny bit of Z counts - and the 3.5mm jack was, in most cases, by far the tallest component. By scrapping it - and scrapping the optional routing of analogue audio via USB Type-C - you not only win back some Z but you can also shave pennies off the BOM by removing the 3.5mm jack, the DAC, the amp...
    ^ This. (That'll learn me to view all posts before replying...)

Although, come to think of it, won't there still be a DAC and an amp for the speaker?

Byron C likes this.
  3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Parents! Well more specifically my dad!

Recently I had to buy a new graphics card, because my dad told me the 980Ti that he had was not working and he needed a new card, I didn't have the time to test it or even do anything at the time, so me being decent to him gave him my 1080Ti and I got myself a 2080Ti win win for both of us.

Fast forward to last night and he shouts me, and says "come look the 1080Ti is doing the same, it's dead" which I thought was odd because it's been working fine for weeks I thought.

Get's to his pc and looks and he was complaining that his games were running really poor, if it ran the games and didn't reboot almost instantly.

I thought something not right here, so I install OCCT and crank it up to check the temps on the CPU and WOW within seconds up to 99c, and then the pc reboots.

I asked him "How have you not told me about this sooner, and how have you been using it?", he said "I've been putting a large desktop fan near the back door and one at the side of the pc blowing the cold air inside the case" :wallbash:

I told my mum to cover her ears and close her eyes I didn't want he to hear or see what I was about to do, she laughed and said give him a good slap round the head.

One big shouting at, followed by stripping his pc down and finding no TIM on the CPU and the CPU cooler slightly loose, re-build it and hey presto what do you know it's working fine!

Not only that but I have a I7 950 in an Asus Motherboard sat in a cupboard, which I was going to test last night with a bunch of mixed ram stick's as well, get's the board out of the cupboard and look and he has broke the little clips on the bottom, of the stupidly designed Intel stock cooler.

So when payday rolls around, I need to get a cheap cooler that will work with socket 1366 as the NH-D15 that I have sat on a shelf won't work with it without, buying a mounting kit which I cannot find anywhere in stock for less than £40 :jawdrop:, so it's either go and get something like the Hyper 212 Evo or go the whole hog and get a NH-D15 run all the test's and then throw it on Ebay.

Hex and MLyons like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yes indeed, but that doesn't need to be of the same quality level that's needed to drive headphones. However good the phone speakers might be they're not going to sound as good as headphones, so they can use cheaper components to drive the speakers.

EDIT: That penny-pinching matters when you're producing millions and millions of units.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Shame, really. I thought I could rage against you now. :grin:

Yeah, and that is as stupid as is "0.1mm thinner ultrabook!" with worse battery life and/or overheating components and/or soldered batteries and hardware. :wallbash:

Economies of scale work.

6. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Cauda equina syndrome.....My foot and back sore today.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My xz2 compact came with free set of WF1000X Bluetooth headphones and while the phone has AptX HD, the headphones do not. Their newer counterparts the WF1000XM3s do, but i don't want to be coughing up £150 for a new pair.

The phone did get tetchy with the volume, it kept turningown to near inaudible levels warning me about damaging my hearing. But having the volume so low i need to merge them with my eardrum to hear is surely more damaging.

EDIT: After a quick bit of digging i found the Anker Soundcore Life P2's which have aptX and Bluetooth 5.0, are very reasonably priced at £46 (there seems to be £6 voucher at the minute too) and have reviewed very well. I'll be grabbing a pair come payday and will let you know what they're like.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2020
  8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife has just been told that she MAY be being made redundant. She has been put on 30 days leave and been given all the details of the package that she would receive so we are pretty sure that it is going ahead. Unless she can get another job within the period that her payout will cover we are screwed. We barely make it month to month due to her having been out of work for a year a while back and having to build up a loan and credit cards to get by, we do not have those options open to us this time as we are still buried paying those off.

We have already had to cut down BIG TIME on what we can spend and it feels like each month we have to cut back on a little again. I have spent almost nothing on my hobbies for the past year or two, at least nothing like I should be able to spend, given our combined wages. We are able to eat out maybe once or twice a month (if that).

Without her wage coming in there is no way that we can manage on mine alone, not anymore.

Currently not the best time for a 50 year old non-British woman to be looking for work, even if she does speak 4 languages...

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Pointless meeting lived up to its billing, but it did finish early. I dashed back to Portsmouth in record time to catch the 3pm ferry. At the terminal the ferry is filling up fast, but the chap with high viz keeps waving cars through one and two at a time. This is looking very promising... I roll my car forward - I'm now at the front of the queue... I'm staring at him with pleading puppy dog eyes "I just wanna go home". Oh, wait, he answers his radio...

Bollocks! Gotta sit here for another bloody hour.

#piggedoff

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It's been a full hour, so my question is: are you at last on a ferry? Or have you cracked out the puppy dog eyes again in an attempt to charm the ferry? :hehe:

11. David

Yep, I broke out the kindle and the hour flew by.

I'm back on the island, at home, kettle on and kids pestering me for money.

IanW, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

#BankofDad takes yet another battering...
    My eldest has messaged to say that his phone is dying, may or may not be repairable; great!
    In other better news (probably belongs elsewhere), my £30 on Gumtree last night for 2 random HP desktop PCs was well spent.
    One has an i3 3220 and the other an i3 4130; newer than expected, and USB 3 too.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Tell them they'll be able to earn money fruit picking or helping old folks go to the toilet this time next year. :happy:

Last edited: 20 Feb 2020
    IanW, spolsh and The_Crapman like this.
  14. David

You 'orrible git. I'm not that old.

adidan and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Old enough to ask for money they're old enough to earn it. :lol:

Back in my day we'd be working while still in the womb, tiny fingers are good for intricate work like putting bubbles in spirit levels.

Edit: i'm not that old either and most of my memories are lies

Mr_Mistoffelees and The_Crapman like this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

And, small enough to go up a chimney.

IanW and adidan like this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

My Dad is visiting for a week to help me renovate the living room, it's torn apart and he has fallen ill with comedy timing. I'm now plastering away like a madman to try and keep on track :hehe:

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I just realised that this is me, and I don't like it...
    Or nothing. Do that. Best value cooler bar none, I've used so many.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Had a member of the forum @WarrenJ send me a pm, they have a Titan Fenrir which they don't want anything for, and don't even want postage for it so going to be using that.

Then once I have tested everything, if I put the board, cpu and ram up on here for sale as a bundle I will include the cooler for no charge.

Pay it forward is all they asked so I will do that.

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And people say this community ain't what it used to be.