1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Diesel or petrol?

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 25 Feb 2020.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm in the market for a new car (new to me) as my faithful old Vectra is coming to an end.

I'm looking at getting an Insignia and after thinking about it a bit also a Mondeo.

I've only ever owned petrol cars but there seems to be a lot more diesels around.

I've been put off diesels a bit from friends who say they are dearer to run in the long run and the government seem to have a vendetta against them.

The Mondeo's seem to be better spec'd but I'm struggling to find and petrol versions, I thought auto trader etc would be full of them but not so, there is plenty of Insignias though.

So what is best to go for Petrol or diesel and Mondeo vs Insignia.

Looking at around a 2010 model.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Depends where you live, for example I drive a diesel an soon wont be able to go into some town and cities because its a diesel.
    More places are going ULEZ so you need to make sure what ever it is is under what eve limit they set if you live or plan to visit those area often.
    Also I keep hearing people are generally moving away from diesel, I would imagine its partially stigma over diesel but also petrol engines are now becoming more efficient.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Do you drive into any low emissions zones, current or planned? E.g. the London ULEZ, currently the same area as the congestion charge, is expanding out to the North & South Circular next year. If a diesel is not Euro 6 emissions rated or above, it will cost £12 each time you drive into the zone.

I have a diesel (08 Mazda 5 MPV), had it for 11 years, absolutely brilliant, hardly had to spend anything on it apart from regular servicing, tires, brake pads, MOT's etc. It's only done 65k miles and good for another 65k but I will be affected by the ULEZ expansion next year and will have to replace it.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Petrol engines are more efficient these days than they used to be, it's not uncommon to find 1L or 1.4L engines even in larger cars. Diesel's reputation certainly wasn't helped by various emissions scandals, but if looked after well they can be incredibly long-lived.

The key practical point, as others have pointed out, is whether ULEZ zones are going to affect you. If you're going to be in planned or current ULEZ zones then it probably isn't worth it.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Considered looking at the Mazda 6?

Plenty of those knocking around in petrol and the 2nd gen [which would include the 2010 model] were pretty much a rebadged Mondeo iirc.

As for petrol v diesel - Petrol, for the reasons already stated.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Most newer diesels come with woeful emissions controls tech such as particulate filters, if you do short trips or a car or not getting any sort of load up in stop start traffic, buy a petrol.

If you do lots of motorway or consistant long runs on A roads, I'd say 18-20k miles is probably a good break even point, get a diesel.

With tax breaks being on low Co diesels from company car perspective over the last decade or so and saloons also falling out of favour that is why you can't find many petrol variants.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Some new ones also have a tank of goop [AdBlue i think it's sold as] that helps with emissions, which is another thing to keep on top of [and expense, given the stuff needs refilling quite frequently iirc]...

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

BTW Insignias of that age are basically Fiat diesels, contrary to popular Italian car bashing are actually quite reliable, they do have weak points though, so water pump not being done on cambelt change can be a costly error of judgment when it fails and the gearbox can have an issue if you are the type to rip up the tarmac and promote frontend hop (as it would in many cars, I put an LSD in mine) but other wise keep on trucking, done over 160k between two cars with these engines (in Italian cars though) and no issue, I used to absolutely spank one JTD on track battering many a hot hatch too :D

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Depends hugely, my 2009 Passat has a DPF but no AdBlue, also the DPF regen is automatic/passive enable, 40mph over 1800rpm it passively works once the engines to temp. It also has a cycle every 300 miles to do an active regen (higher idle speeds and better throttle response being the tangible evidence its happening) its been fine thus far.

They still derived from Izusu lumps? I know the old ones were.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes most work this way but short trips this does negatively impact economy as regens are more frequent and as regens consist of using more fuel to get temps up and burn particles, you of course use more fuel.

I think the 1.7 might be but not the 1.9/2.0, not sure what the 2.2 is, I think it might be from GM Korea, I have that now in the missus car:eek: and it is not amazing at all, functional and OK reliability wise for the most part, well at least on its first 72k we have done.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm really leaning towards the 1.8 petrol insignia, I have found one that's just had it's cambelt done too (water pump isn't on the cam belt like on my Vectra which is good). It's not quite the spec I want but buying 2nd hand beggars can't be choosers. I really like the spec of the Mondeo though.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The cost of AdBlue is basically zero - like £10 for 10l every 5-10k miles, and needs refilling just as frequently generally.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Having driven both, the petrol Insignia is noticeably inferior. These would have been the 2015 model, or thereabouts. The Diesel has adequate torque and power but the petrol was very poor.

Otherwise, the Insignia is a decent big motor, not exceptional but in its price range it seemed to punch well.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Was that a 1.4 model as the petrol ones for that year seem to be 1.4.

I'm looking at a 2010 1.8 16v, the same as my Vectra which is quite quick for a big car but occasionally have to drop it down a great on a steep tight hill.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It was either the 1.6 or the 1.8, I don't fully recall and I have no way to check. I used to drive a lot of hire cars back then and an Insignia was always well received, except that damn gutless petrol one I had.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, a Mazda 6 is a contemporary to look at if you're that way inclined?

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Currently driving a petrol 2010 Mondeo, which I am really pleased with. 2.0 petrol / Turbo (200 BHP) auto is thirsty, but after 18 months of car 'hell' I'm not worried.
    Quick story/rant...
    My venerable 2003 1.9 TDi Audi A6 hit 180K in 2018, and small problems were building, like 3 dead electric windows, a leak in the block, no aircon.
    So, I thought "I'll buy a petrol car this time..."
    Somehow I bought a lovely 2011 Honda CRV DIESEL Auto with 95K on the clock July 2018. Was assured I'd be fine with the DPF, even though I do 10K a year, mostly round town.
    Complete disaster, DPF fault 2 weeks in and monthly thereafter. DPF clean no use, DPF rebuild, OK for a while. ££££
    It went pop after about 8 months, 2 injectors had gone, so maybe it had fuelling problems all along. £££ repair, then flogged it for what the repairs has cost...
    Bought a 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi with 100K on the clock Aug 2019. It threw a red oil light after 10 days, that's "No oil pressure" not "Low oil" which is orange.
    Stopped immediately,no oil on the dipstick. Needed 1.5L to get it back to the required level. It burned oil for the next 2 weeks while I was rejecting the car as I'd had it under 30 days.
    These engines has a potential oil control ring fault which makes them burn oil at an alarming rate, mine had it.
    2 months on, I finally got my refund. Was running a £500 banger to keep me going.
    Nov 19, bought the Mondeo, and it's been excellent. Titanium X has great trim, lovely heated seats and it drives well for a workhorse estate car.
    NO MORE DIESEL
    Here endeth the rant lesson

B1GBUD likes this.
  17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've never owned a Mazda what are they like to run?

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I know with my BMW 320D, I don't have to pay to drive in the London LEZ but the ULEZ I would have to register with them and provide the information for my car as they "currently don't have it" so want to charge £12.50 per day.

Leed's I don't need to pay but Birmingham I have to pay £8 per day, it's why I won't drive in to Birmingham in my car because apparently my car puts out the same emissions as a BMW 530D.

I am just glad my road tax is so cheap at £20 a year, but if I was looking for a new car I would personally be looking at a 1.4L or 1.6L Petrol even if it cost's twice as much to insure as a 2.0L TD, which sounds funny but it's true I get cheaper insurance with bigger engines that smaller engines.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Quite cheap, I suppose. Maybe expect a bit of gyp with rust on the second hand market. Parts are plentiful and can be had cheap enough.

20. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

electric all the life :cooldude:.... I challenge to find a torque like them inside an fuel based engine

wyx087 likes this.