1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New idea for non-painters

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ::nox|silicon::, 27 Aug 2001.

1. ::nox|silicon::

::nox|silicon:: What's a Dremel?

Well, I heard from a lot of people when they saw my ::alien|qbe:: that almost EVERYBODY wants a really cool painted case, but it's quite expensive to have your case painted by someone else and not too many people are good at drawing/airbrushing, so here's the deal...

if enough people want this, I am planning on offering an all new kind of service - I do a lot of painting and so I could also design YOUR case! I'm thinking about transferring cool paintings on sticky foil - similar to those stick-on window etches (or the stuff you stick on cars). I could of cause also do custom designs and foils in the exact size of your case.

You can check out some of my recent drawings here

This is just an idea - yet - and I'll also have to check on the pricing of foil-prints etc. and the most important thing is if enough people are interested in this service, so please let me know what you think and reply to this thread or email me here

looking forward to hear from you!!

2. Darkhorse

Darkhorse What's a Dremel?

Your are a Grade A artist my friend. Artwork is seriously cool.

You say that you could transfer the the paintings to a type of foil. Would the foil be semi-transparent?

Either way I like the idea of being able to mod a case with custom artwork.

I think you could be onto a winner there.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2001
  3. ::nox|silicon::

thanks for the compliment! I still have some more in stock ;)

yeah, I could have it printed on semi-transparent or fully transparent foil (or even aluminum-plated foil, but that's all a matter of pricing) and also straight cut or cut along the edge of the graphics (in case of characters or something similar) is considerable. I just want to check out the response and I'll check the manufacturing-prices tomorrow or something and I'm considering to start producing those, if there's enough demand.

4. Darkhorse

Darkhorse What's a Dremel?

You've got my interest. I think a semi transparent image of the 'robot' (but facing right) on the side of my Lian Li PC70 would look amazing. :cool:

I hope you decide to start producing these, if not I would be interested in privately purchasing some of your work.

Have you thought of doing site logo's in this form? I think that would generate a lot of interest. :D

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

man ..... you are one dude, i put my hand up for intrest.

also ..... how much will you sell your artistic talent for ????

6. JK23

JK23 What's a Dremel?

What can i say - AWESOME!!!!!

Now this is what i call a fantastic idea - I would deffinately put my hand up and say "ME - NOW - Where do I send the cash" etc..... :D

You are truly talented m8

I REALLY hope this comes off.....

JK23
    Tekheads.com
    :cool:

7. ::nox|silicon::

great to get such a nice response to my idea, dudes! thanx!!

well - first off I will not charge much for my talent or something, because I think the modding-scene has some kind of open-source spirit and I always respected and liked this idea very much. In this sense I'll most probably charge a minimal fee for the time and talent I invest in this idea. The thing that makes me more of a headache is what the printing-process will cost because 1) I am not rich or something so I have 2) a hard time pre-financing this and it becomes the cheaper the more pieces you order at the printer's. Anyway - I'll check back tomorrow with some people I know from the print-business and see what they could offer and after that I could probably present you with some facts and figures ;)
    One cool thing would be collective order or some store like Tekheads or OCS ordering vast amounts :D

@Darkhorse: the semi-transparent robot is surely possible! It will probably be best to wait 'til I can tell you a definite yes or no if it's possible to start producing these the way I intend to. If things go wrong or something, I could probably at least tell you what it costs to make 1 piece and if that's ok for you then I could make it. This way it's also possible to make it the exact size of your case...

I can do site-logos and -design too. What was it that you thought about?

@Spike: thanx! ;) answer to your questions: look above

@ JK23: thanx for the compliments m8! I hope that everything will work out fine with that too! btw: luv yer b0rg! ;)

8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

well, damn, what can I say... awesome

I'd be up for one of those!

damn, just need to buy a case to put one on now!
    the spaceship one would rock if you finished the ground off(!) not that it doesn't rock anyway!

9. ::nox|silicon::

heheheh got me there! gotta finish this one day ;)

talking about spaceships, how do you like this one then?

[​IMG]

10. Jamie

thats ace! :eek:

11. ::nox|silicon::

thanx ;)

well... got some pricing information:
    It mainly depends on the dimensions of the case/sticker of cause, so f.ex. I took my YY Cube as example and a full cover for the cube (sides & top) would cost about £70 - £75

It might as well become cheaper the more people order (the more pieces I have manufactured)

Do you think the price is ok? Let me know!

12. Dragon

Dragon What's a Dremel?

Also adding my support, you are an excellent artist and I also would be interested in purchasing your work

13. ::nox|silicon::

thanx dragon!!
    I'm just looking into co-operating with companies because the more they buy the cheaper I can sell em which would - of cause - be best for all of you

14. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Ro)(or !

Nice work.

My Dads an artist so I know good work when I see it. And yours is at a standard you don't see very often.

Large pat on the back.

I Would be interested in a site logo and webbie for our LAN boxes and perhaps a picture of our nicks?

If you want any free promotion or links on our site let us know, seeing as you are doing it in the spirit of things.

L8ers.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2001
  15. macroman

macroman The One

Man you are one talented guy and it is good to see you sharing it with the community. :)

I make exhibition standard models and make extensive use of airbrushes, but I can't draw to save my life :mad: I can appreciate skilled talent when I see it. Keep up the excellent work.:)

I might be asking you for some artwork if you get it off the ground.
    :D

16. Jamie

that sounds like a really cool job macroman ...

17. macroman

macroman The One

I don't do it for a living, it's a "paid hobby". ;)

18. RTT

RTT #parp

people who can do that kind of artwork have a serious talent and i find it amazing when i look at some stuff and I just think

"wow i wish i could do that"

nox - cant you make some kind of living out of your artwork? my jaw droppped when i saw that pic that you posted
    :eek:

when i was on holiday there was a man who would do drawings of ppl in cartoon style and i went and watched him every night as whet he could do with come chalk and a sheet of paper was brill!
    he'd just sit and look at the person for a while and just draw them SO accurately with loads of ppl watching.

im pants at art and i WISH that i could do stuff like that.....really i just find it amazing.

19. RTT

RTT #parp

[​IMG]

see what i mean?

i just couldnt do something liike that...

i'd kill for your tallent Nox m8!! :)

20. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    wow, I am humbled at such talent. My biggest hats off to ya.
    good luck with your venture...once I get a bit more adventurous with the dremel and soldering iron I'll be sure to contact you for some artwork.

Fly