1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Rule states X
    Test for rule is Y
    Ferrari meet requirements of Y
    Therefore rule X not broken.

If the FIA can't design a test or several tests that proves X hasn't been broken, then should the rule exist in the first place?

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Basically, it sounds like this, yes. Maybe add in "yes, but can you explain to us how, so we can kick other teams that do it, we'll give you immunity".

More cynical people would say "Ferrari cheated", but I feel that, if they found a loophole, let them have it. Same applies to DAS, same applied to double and blown diffusers.
    Clever engineering has always been part of the sport, and whoever doesn't think of it will always consider it cheating.

I understand why RBR wants a more damning stance on it. If they're due to score 24Mill, then sure... I get it. Same with all other teams, that would get bumped up in ranking if Ferrari got DQed. If ALL Ferrari powered teams got DQed, they'd potentially get bumped even more.
    Merc is just doing this because of politics and to distract a competitor. They have nothing to win by having Ferrari DQed from last year, but stand to win if Ferrari has to make changes to their PU now, or has to spend a bunch of time defending themselves.
    On top of that, it would give all teams insight into what Ferrari did, and possibly open up a new pathway to send engineers down.

4. javaman

I think it would be easier to stomach if the FIA where transparent.

However, I keep thinking back to other cases of beating the test such as Red Bull wing deflection. The rule didn't allow for movable aero parts but due to the nature of the wing and their construction they deflected. The rule and test allowed for this.
    In that case the values of the test became the rule.

In this case the rule is clear about fuel flow. There are probably other rules about tampering with measuring and reporting devices etc.
    While normally defeating the test means the rule isn't broken, in this case they may have flown too close to the sun and broken other rules. The technical directive around Mexico going into Austin kinda says they did. I do wonder tho what the rules specifically say (we won't know unless the FIA opens up about the system).

Currently I sit that it was genius what Ferrari did and the FIA test needed to be better. I do now think they did break the rules (fuel flow rate) but not the test or measure for breaking the rule.
    In many ways this feels like the VW emissions scandal. Under test conditions they had a lower measured emissions outputt meant a better rating and lower tax, but in reality they where higher under normal conditions. They broke the rules yes, but it was up to the test to be robust enough cover the rule it was trying to enforce

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The day Ferrari can't get an exception from authorities in Italy I'll start growing a hipster beard.

7. RedFlames

Well AlphaTauri have avoided being caught up in it by heading out to Aus early

Also, Bahrain will go ahead without its fan.

8. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Wonder if this means that TV companies need to ship individual sets of gear to each venue, now, to stop any likelihood of cross-contamination? Gonna mean a lot of new cameras, lenses, cables, etc will need to be bought...

EDIT:
    Could even be the first season F1 makes little or no money as a sport; could mean next years' rights may cost a butt-tonne of money, too.

9. javaman

Could dust off and borrow the set the BBC use once a year. Comes with a free Eddie Jordan

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Based on the last time BBC covered F1, I doubt the eqpt. would be fit for even HD...

11. RedFlames

IIRC German broadcasters aren't going to the venues, they're covering the events remotely.

You mean Whisper Films? They're the ones who do the coverage for C4 [and did the BBC coverage in the later years at least] and have Jordan in their hand luggage.

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Do FOM - or whoever the FIA broadcaster is - had static eqpt. for feeding to other broadcasters...?

C4/E4 coverage should be 'delightful' this season... not watching Sky; would rather use BBC website for results than watch Sky F1 coverage.

13. RedFlames

I think so, because while sky et al lug their own kit out to wherever for the punditry, the actual footage of the race is provided to them by FOM/Liberty iirc.

S'why you sometimes get commentators bitching about what the feed is showing, because they get whatever FOM/Lierty gives them, and that's not necessarily where the action is.

There's also all the extra stuff the stewards get access too.

14. RedFlames

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Very few TV companies actually cover events from the place. Usually at best there is one reporter and one cameraman going to various European events for the rights-holder in my country (they own the rights for F1 in Slovakia, Hungary and Czech Republic) for the extra content.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And so it begins...

17. javaman

I believe 2 Haas mechanics have also tested positive

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So the big questions.

1) Will the race go ahead at all now?
    2) If it does will Ross Brawn be as good as his word and declare it non-championship now that McRenault are out of the picture through no fault of their own?

If I was the Aussie government the race would be off now. If one mechanic has it confirmed a hundred more who were on the plane with him are busily incubating it, by the end of the weekend that woud likely be thousands of people all set to travel home across Australia and Asia. Wouldn't want to be the guy who let the race go ahead, but then I wouldn't want to the one to call it off very much either.

19. javaman

Someone else tested positive who had been at a cafe metres from the circuit. TBH the Australian government itself could probably have it and not think there is an issue

20. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope