1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dupli Colour Mirage

Discussion in 'Modding' started by n-gen, 22 Nov 2003.

1. nmmnp

nmmnp What's a Dremel?

The stuff is OK, but it doesn't look that great on cases because of the flat surfaces. Look at the pictures on the duplicolor website , you'll notice everything is rounded, which appears to enhance the effect. I painted a hockey helmet for my son using the "Ice" and it definitely does not have the same effect as on the gas tank in the picture. In fact, I've never seen anything actually look like the pictures on the website. Here's a panel pic using red/blue. Looks nice, but you can hardly see any graduation of color. Again because of the flat surface, you almost always see either red, blue or purple (the transition color).

2. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

would have pm'd Yo-DUH, but for some reason it said I don't have permission.

sorry to veer off topic again...Yo-DUH I am in Portland, just south of Jantzen Beach area (off Marine Drive by Delta Park).

you can email me at my Profile listed addy for anything else. :)

3. luxnova

luxnova What's a Dremel?

Poops. I was hoping that my use of this paint in the future would be a new, exciting thing.

I should have known, you modders have already done it all.

Except for my SUPER EVIL PLAN! MUAHAHAHAHA!

4. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

I was interested in the stuff too. I looked in my local B&Q without success and then sent an email to Duplicolor asking for UK based outlets. I justgot a quick message saying they don't send it out here. :sigh:

I do believe you can get it or something similar going by the name of flip flop over here but only in litre cans and above for sparying - that is with an airline and spraygun. Its pro auto paint.

Never mind, I've turned my attention to brushed stainless steel and to hell with paint :D

5. n-gen

n-gen Banned

i guess thats brought an end to my search then,

ah well, lets look for another insanely expensive mod, that requires expert precision, a 12 week training course, £1000.00 worth of tools and a new warehouse to complete. That should be a little less ambitious.

i think i might go for a chrome effect, of something like that

thanks guys

6. Tim

Tim What's a Dremel?

i got that paint today and so far its not looking like it is suposta.... its the silver/green and its looks silver/gray but i got to add more and top coat it still. to damn cold to be rattle can'n :duh:

7. Gooey

Gooey What's a Dremel?

http://www.rccarsandtrucks.co.uk/524_1.html

Look about 3/4 of the way down for Custom Colour Fusion Jade Polycarbonate Spray (178FJ), theres two diff colour versions there

Yeah I've used them to coat a tower, took 3 of them cans iirc, and also the paint is a lot better if you use a matt black as a base coat (but ya can get bigger cans at halfords), so another 2 cans, then also some clear coat (from halfords )on top which again is another couple of cans :) expensive innit :)

IMO it isn't really that good either on a case as the effect works much better in sunlight with curvy sufaces (like a car for eg) maybe good on a wavemaster front tho

Any HTH

8. n-gen

n-gen Banned

your a star,

cheers, i might get some of that,

9. Tim

Tim What's a Dremel?

yup. ok so 2-3 coats of the mid color coat. and 1 coat of clear and its looking damn good. 30 min or so im adding 2nd clear coat and calling it done! w00t. its looking a hell of alot better. :rock:

10. n-gen

n-gen Banned

glad your having a good time with the paint,

i should be getting going soon,

the case arrived in the mail today, i promptly ripped it to pieces and it should be done soon.

thanks for the help, if anyone finds a place slightly more local that would be nice. i live in london