1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bench envy right there

Yaka, Mr_Mistoffelees and Byron C like this.
  2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

another rpi 4 4gb as one of my kids pinched mine for a wii-u pad mod
    and not sure why but since someone on these forums posted a link to this case i really had to have it
    [​IMG]

IanW likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like another case that's been designed without actually looking at the board under a thermal camera: it connects to the SoC (necessary), PCIe USB chip (used to be necessary, now not so much), RAM (completely unnecessary, will actually make the RAM run hotter), and completely misses the PMIC circuitry (limiting the maximum overclock.)

It'll work, and it'll look darn good doing it, but it's always such a shame when it could so easily have been designed properly.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, but... y'know... it's shiny :grin:

IanW, Yaka and adidan like this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pfft. Here's what whoever designed it *should* have looked at:

upload_2020-3-6_19-10-7.png

PMIC and SoC. Those are the only bits you need to worry about these days. If you're slapping pillars down on anything else, you're Doing It Wrong. If you haven't put a pillar over the PMIC, then you're Doing It Really Wrong.

Yaka, IanW and Byron C like this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

'Nuff sed.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If only somebody would, ya know, write an article, a book or ten about it.

Then they should be compulsory training at designers 'r us.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i figured as much, i was using the previous pi4 with part pibow and fan shim combo but it wasnt ideal when i kids took it or i popped it in my bag. at least this will offer some protection even tho the usb sockets are exposed.

i was also strongly considering getting a https://www.coolipi.com
    [​IMG]

not pocket friendly or pretty but seriously cools the rpi4 check it outhttps://www.coolipi.com/Overclocking.html

Last edited: 6 Mar 2020
  9. Gareth Halfacree

I've got a handful of those Lada sent across - they're great coolers, but very spenny.

I did a round-up of cooling-cases for The MagPi last issue - the CooliPi was the best performing, but lost out to the Argon One for its features and price. But, that said, even the worst-performing case on test did the job of preventing throttling at stock speeds during a 10-minute stress test.

IanW and Yaka like this.
  10. adidan

[​IMG]

4tb of bog standard storage for the, now, second pc that I don't really need but it's handy to have around to back stuff up on.

With 10% first order discount I thought £80 quid direct from WD was ok.

Edit: oh and i was half awake this morning and bought...- scratch that, been buying all sorts, somehow spending about 150-200 on 'stuff' I really need.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2020
    Arboreal and spolsh like this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, I sold some stuff on feebay, which meant...

...new stuff!

Fabric panel for the Phanteks Evolv Shift:

[​IMG]

New panel set for the Ncase M1. There's nothing wring with my black panels, they're pristine, but I might want a change and I plan on keeping this case for a long time. I have also set an email alert the new front IO kit.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. adidan

Damn it, I knew there was something I was meant to do before spending some cash at the weekend. :confused:

MLyons likes this.
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A belt sander. ... Because power tools.

I love my random orbital, but I want something considerably more violent because I've been sanding for three days and all that seems to change is how much sawdust is in my nose.

Yaka, Dr. Coin and The_Crapman like this.
  14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Those panels are :jawdrop:

What are you sanding off? You could try one of these abrasive wheels for drills. Doesn't do a big area at once, but gets stuff off quick.

15. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

:hehe:
    'nuf said.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

after corsair ****ed me over its dumbass warranty and then decided to be "nice guys" and replace it I thought **** em. Back to Logitech I go

[​IMG]

17. liratheal

It's.. A somewhat dull story, but. I built a bed three or four years ago in ol' Blighty, and when we moved to Germany, I repurposed the wood (Since it was ~150 currency of wood) and decided to make a desk. In the UK I glued it all together and it was, mostly, flat.

It was moved to the ol' Father Land, and stood in storage for ~12 months. During that time it got slightly more.. Bendy. I started by circular sawing off most of the big bits I could circular saw, and then have been sanding everything else to be somewhat level. I'm not super concerned about a perfect surface, as I'll be slapping a coat of epoxy over it that should level it out decently enough. However, I do need to level out some places where I'm going to route out a space for the DOOM thing I made a few years back.

I've been using an 18v Makita RO, and a silverline (Ebay special) finger sander and the finger sander is way more effective at removing material and leveling out sections I can get a good angle on.

So I figured a nice belt sander (I opted for a Makita 9911, while not the biggest or the best, it's enough to start with, and I can replace it if I use it enough to break it - Which I doubt I will) would make my work faster.

I did think about what attachments I could buy for existing tools (All 18v Makita stuff, drill, impact, circular saw, router, RO) and I didn't think anything I could buy would be sufficiently cheaper than the 9911 and some belts. I spent about €120 all told on the 9911.

The best reason for new power tools, IMO.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Also tools

Face clamp

[​IMG]
    9.5mm stepped bit for pocket holes (snapped mine)

[​IMG]

No5 Jack plane, cheap one blades really dull but I can fix that. But its the only one unless you pay a shed load more with brass fitting and wood not plastic handles.

[​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Jeez. You use that thing on your face? Ouch.

IanW and legoman like this.
  20. liratheal

I mean, it's one way to stop a nose running.