1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

laptop brick. Yeah all the 1151 gens is really nice!

Arboreal likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Now I'd consider spending alot on a pair that could knock out my tinnitus.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

T5P.

You'll never need another pair, or be tempted by pairs costing twice as much.

They're so good they're actually boring. It totally stopped my hobby overnight.

I've not bought anything related since.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I can see what you mean there, so it'll stay in the box. My headphones live on a stand, plugged in, ready to go.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mine are still running-in but, I reckon VT is right.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Added to Amazon wishlist...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

They're the best all rounders. By far.

I've had hifi man planar which were the deepest I've ever heard anything drop but they were awful for mids and highs

Beats Studio, let's not go there.

B&O sound good but very thin.

And so on. They're just the best all round pair you'll ever use. I listen to everything (and I do mean everything!) And they're just superb.

As I said my grado are better for jazz and so on and also live sessions from Radiohead (because Thom has a haunting voice) but they're useless at anything beat driven. They just don't have much low end.

8. Vault-Tec

Dusty kid - America

I still get goosebumps every damn time.

9. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Best pair/set I ever had were my Sony MDR-V7's... trifling money by today's standards, but not listened to anything better, to date

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

At that price they ain't going any further than that for me.

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Holy poop. I figured I would look up when I bought mine. Looked all the way back to 2018 but nothing. Then I realised I opened a new Ebay account after I split with my ex because I didn't want her seeing what I was buying.

[​IMG]

Firstly I have had them longer than I thought. Secondly they were even cheaper than I thought lol. I remember now looking the company up and sure enough they were the distro for BD. They're based in West Sussex too. So I Googled everything, all checked out. Mine came literally brand new in the box.

Probably the best bargain ever I have had in anything audio related (well, apart from that time my employer closed down and I got about ten grand of audio gear for free).

They are expensive yes. However, I can assure any one even thinking about it that they are the last pair of headphones you will ever buy. If you enjoy music and spend a lot of time with cans on it is absolutely worth the asking price for them. I couldn't live without music. I would most certainly die.

adidan likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A suspiciously cheap (£150) 1.92TB Dell EMC branded Samsung PM883.

Turned up today, never even been used.

Of course there's no warranty, but I'm fairly comfortable with that, especially at the purchase price.

perplekks45 and Vault-Tec like this.
  13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's a pretty great deal. The only what-if with branded m.2s is getting the firmware upgrades for them.

14. Mister_Tad

That shouldn't even be an issue in theory, as it's a Poweredge part rather than Compellent or something like that.

15. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

recently purchased a new phone, Samsung Galaxy S10

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

At the Bristol Hifi show, I tried some Focal Utopias connected to a Focal Archie once again connected to a Ultima sp2000, I think the whole kit costed over £8000 and I’d expect for that price to be blown away, I walked away rather disappointed tbh

The sound quality over a £300 set of headphones didn't really justify the cost

A bidet toilet seat attachment
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2020
  17. Mr_Mistoffelees

By the time you get to that price level, I suppose you are running in to the usual problem of diminishing returns.

18. Mister_Tad

I think at that point it's more of a case of the Veblen effect than any returns in performance, diminishing or otherwise.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

It depends. I got my Grado RS2E for £330 years ago. At the time they were £500. Whilst they do sound amazing they only do so in certain kinds of music. That seems to be an issue across the board though, and you do usually have to make a choice.

However, the BD are good enough at everything. Desert Island headphones if you will. I've heard sets costing more and yes, definitely diminishing returns. I don't want mine any louder, so that's off the cards. A bit more super deep bass would be nice, but at the end of the day you can hear it and you know it's there unlike the Grado. They are also far less forgiving than the Grado, which shriek in your ears if you feed them anything less than a CD quality rip.

I think the main reason they are the best all rounders though is they don't require an amp to get in your face. Which is where I think the Tesla technology in them shines. Sure, if you anchored yourself to your desk and spent about £4k then maybe you could out do them, but then you are making other sacrifices.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2020
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

I power my headphones with an Audiolab M-DAC and only CD quality rips. Now they have had a 24 hour run, the T5Ps sound fantastic, way beyond my expectations but, would spending very substantially more deliver a similar improvement? I have my doubts. As you go further up the chain, you're paying huge amounts of extra money for increasingly small, incremental improvements and, I think, increasingly massive profit margins.

I've gone far enough up the food chain and I'm happy.

Guest-44638 and Arboreal like this.