1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

[​IMG]

David and Arboreal like this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

well I work in a school so the next few days are going to be.....interesting.

jokes aside we knew it was coming, we're down several teachers and the rest spent the afternoon printing home schooling packs.

4. adidan

You having to arrange the skeleton crew for NHS, Police and delivery driver kids?

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i honestly don't know if we've got any, it doesn't make sense to keep the entire building open for a handful of kids, would make more financial sense for them to all go to one local school and be taught there.

actually re-reading the blarb it looks like that might be whats happening. I guess i'll find out more tomorrow.

6. adidan

Sounds like a bit more of a heads up would have helped teachers and parents.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fine line between prep and panic. i suspect a lot of information has already been discussed (i knew of the closure nearly 10 days ago but couldnt confirm what I had heard) quietly behind closed door to allow time get plans in order without it getting out and causing unnecessary panic among parents.

now that its officially im sure there will be a meeting in the morning before the school opens to discuss in further details what happens next.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

Reassuring to know actually.

It seems to generally be either panic or ignoring it as a problem. It'd be nice if people kept perspective but were sensible about the threat to some.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if they pulled the trigger back then there would be absolute chaos but being this close to the Easter break already it kinda merges in with whatever plans parents had made for the two week break plus it gives time for the logistical planning to be implemented. As **** as it sounds "need to know" was probably the right call.

10. adidan

Thinking about it after seeing people, extremely low risk people at that, panic buy toilet roll i'd have to agree that's very much the right call.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Most importantly: Those who can work from home will have their new daily routine mostly figured out before the school closure happens.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Last edited: 18 Mar 2020
    Nexxo, Arboreal, MLyons and 1 other person like this.
  13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

We need one at home, young Mitzi was on SWMBO's laptop today on WFH Day 1 (in the BIG CAT HOUSE)

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eldest is now feeling grotty, too. Cough but no temperature. Can't imagine it'll be too long before both of us get whatever it is, too.

Supplies, thankfully, remain plentiful. We're running out of fresh milk, but I've a tin of powdered stuff that'll keep us going. Just as well, because there are no delivery slots on any of the supermarkets' websites clear through to the end of the month...

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There has been a lot of planning in NHS Trusts --in mental health as well as hospital Trusts. We have been spending 12+ hours a day (including some time over weekends) putting a detailed psychological support plan for acute hospital staff together while managing a controlled shut-down of face-to-face patient contacts.

You may not hear much about it, but the NHS is totally on this.

tristanperry likes this.
  16. adidan

You may want to tell other Trusts this.

My good lady's Trust is essentially saying 'business as usual'.

17. adidan

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Depends on what job she has and what level she is in the chain of command. I'm two steps down the hierarchy from the CEO, so fairly informed. At the moment it's all still at senior manager level because everything keeps changing on a daily basis --I literally pressed "send" on a team update on Tuesday and an hour later Boris Johnson was on TV and changed a whole bunch of stuff again. As we were updating our team leads yesterday, Boris came on TV and changed stuff again so the update was out of date even before our meeting was over.

Staff get overwhelmed and confused if we tell them too much and change it too often, so we have to time it right and focus on what they need to know right now.

Byron C likes this.
  19. adidan

I'm just a layman but I find it surprising that her colleague in an 'at-risk' group healthwise hasn't been told to go home.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

About to go and brave the shops, much to my dismay. I'm taking this with just in case.

We were sensible and just carried on buying normal amounts of food like every other effer should have done. The only thing we changed is instead of waiting until we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to book a shopping delivery (which is normally next-day availability), last night we did shop for a delivery slot next week... nope, 17th of April for Waitrose, and at least as long for the rest of them.

Don't really need tinned and dried goods right now anyway, just hoping that there's at least a serviceable amount of fresh stuff in stock. Going to try the farm shop down the road first, perhaps the limited selection and the fact they're catastrophically expensive in comparison to the supermarkets will mean they haven't been picked clean.

I was also thinking this might also be a good time to try some of those online exotic meat places, if the local shops don't come up good. I'd assume the zebra and kangaroo supply chain has yet to be disrupted.