1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Trinity Square, Gateshead...

Tesco, Iceland, Aldi

No fruit/veg... fresh meat...milk... eggs... bread... rice... pasta... tea/coffee... etc. etc.

...but despite all that, you'd think everything was normal given the amount of people milling around

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, they seem to be either panic buyers or apathetic not give a crappers up in the North East, very few in between.

Most i've spoken to seem to fall into the latter category.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

:miffed: I'm really shocked by all the posts mentioning about the lack of food in stores, due to anti-social behaviors and the general selfishness of people, I really start to fear about the future, I hope there will soon be a cure for this virus or we might get into a frightening era, as of now, I'm lucky to live far from towns, despite I'm unemployed, we can still find all necessary supplies in shops, but what if that situation lasts longer? :oldconfused: scary :sad::worried:

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Now that many stores are implementing item limits (essentially rationing) I expect that to resolve itself over the next couple of weeks. The problem hasn't been with the supply chain, just dicks reverting to a buy everything mentality. Either that or everyone's news feed will fill up with '101 great alternative to toilet roll' in a couple months time.

I'm lloking forward to the great bogroll price crash of April...

5. kim

kim hardware addict

yes, that's what I meaned to say, I am aware that those dicks are responsible, and that's what shocks me, lack of toilet roll isn't worse, although important, but food :miffed:, it's a shame that some are hoarding supplies like in a forcoming war :sad:

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

bit of levity -

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Can't get BB code off flicker on my phone in desktop mode anymore, no idea why :rollingeyes: so linky linky
    https://flic.kr/p/2iFND4B

That was the story in pretty much every isle. Veg: all gone (bar sprouts), raw meat: all gone. Cooked meat: all gone. Bread, milk, eggs, flour, cooking sauces, rice, pasta, entire frozen section all gone. Decimated, like a plague of locusts has swept through. Even the biscuit isle was virtually empty, apart from dark chocolate hobnobs that were on offer. Madness.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

My local cornershop has been a legend, we got to chatting the other day. He has been at the cash and carry at 7am each morning to make sure he has stock. He even offered if I wanted to come along I'd be welcome. He pretty much has everything in stock and no price hikes, unlike my local pharmacy that's charging 7 quid for a bottle of hand sanitizer and 17 quid for a 1 litre bottom of Dettol....

adidan, Bloody_Pete and MLyons like this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You should report them!

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats the one!

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Supermarket shelves being bare is the stupidest thing about this whole situation. We went shopping on Monday and went out to pick up a few bits & pieces yesterday, and places had been absolutely ransacked. There are no local corner shops round here, it's all supermarkets. The supply chain is absolutely fine, as far as I'm aware there are no actual shortages on any products; the problem is that staff can't get it on the shelves quick enough, and when they do manage to get products on shelves it doesn't stay in stock very long. The levels of demand being seen at the moment exceed what you'd normally see at Christmas, and most supermarkets have 3/4 of the entire year to prepare for Christmas.

We'll be fine, absolutely fine. Even if it means we don't eat what we normally would and have to be a bit more creative... we'll be fine. However people who physically can't traipse around four or five different supermarkets are the ones who will suffer: the elderly, the disabled, people who need round the clock care, etc. This whole panic-buying situation is an absolute ****ing disgrace...

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not to mention medical/nursing staff who can't go to the shops because they're at work for 12 hours straight caring for sick people.

Our hospitals are making arrangements to feed them on-site 24/7 and give them boxes of food to take home...

Oh, and: Farage finally found something to make Brexit sound OK. It’s a pity everyone’s either locked inside, losing their jobs and homes or, well, dying. But sunny uplands: this crisis will finally fulfil the isolationist ambitions that gammons always wanted!

Last edited: 20 Mar 2020
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

In a way, it's kind of nice. That this kind of situation isn't so common that enough people have the innate ability to not panic and selfishly clear out shelves of supermarkets.

But mostly it's a colossal dick move.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There must be a lot of people in the at risk groups to prompt all this stockpiling, either that or perfectly fit and healthy people think there's a high chance of dying from catching it.

On that subject does anyone know if anyone has died from it that wasn't over 70 or had underlying conditions? I would guess the chances of dying from it if you're fit and healthy are infinitesimally small but IDK for sure.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

In the UK, I think the youngest was in their late 30s?

Ever since this started every article I've read always tacked on the "with underlying health conditions" - who is to say what those were though? Being overweight is just as much a health condition as being on death's door already. I would have thought people in 100% perfect health are few and far between, though I don't think they're downplaying it (that wouldn't be at all like the media, after all).

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've seen reports of people who didn't know they had underlying conditions dying from it, which is an obvious concern - as is the fact that one of the underlying conditions that puts you at greater risk is "being a fat lard," so... yeah.

We're still isolating here, and started running annoyingly low on little things for the kids - like biscuits, oats for porridge, that kind of thing. Got a big order in with Asda for delivery next week, assuming the supply chain can restock fast enough, and I put in a smaller order for some staples at a place I don't think many people have thought of: Cut Price Barry's. He's a dude in Halifax who buys in short-dated and past-best produce from supermarkets in bulk and sells it on. As a result his selection can be... eclectic, and often leans heavily towards the "random overpriced American import sweets" end of the spectrum, but he's got some decent staples in at reasonable prices: 1kg of Basmati rice for £2.45 with a 7/20 best-before, Holland's Finest Breakfast Cereal for £0.65 a box, and - important given what I've read about desperate parents being price-gouged on it - 800g jars of baby formula powder, first and follow-up, for £5 a throw.

I ordered a few things - mostly chocolate chip cookies, to be honest, but I threw some rice in there too - yesterday and paid the £5.99 express delivery fee; they're coming between 1300-1400 today.

Meanwhile, Esther's cough seems to be a bit better - and she's been very snotty, which ain't a 'rona symptom so this could all just be a nasty normal cold instead. Alice was too hot last night and struggled to sleep, but doesn't seem to have a fever. I, meanwhile, have started with a slightly tickly dry cough when I breathe in, so there's that...

edzieba likes this.
  17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Biscuits and snacks and whatnot is something I hadn't thought of at all... when they're in the house I can't help myself but to graze so we don't really buy them, save for when littl'un is off school. I need to drop something off at the post office today, so might stop in the co-op near it so that I can be disappointed with the empty shelves and leave.

One of the few times being snotty is a good thing, I guess.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK that, again just a guess but i assume they're talking about massively overweight rather than just a stone or two over what they consider ideal, either way isn't the chance of dying from CV still pretty small?

Not to make light of it or anything as loosing someone you know is never OK, i guess what I'm struggling with, and hence why the original comment, is going on how empty shelves are you'd be forgiven for thinking the mortality rate is really high rather than the, what, 1-8%.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The British Heart Foundation is closing all stores for the next two weeks. We actually closed yesterday, but all staff have been told to stay home as of tonight.

It's paid leave, so those with young kids off school can look after them without additional worry.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dead people don't buy food; living people do. It's nowt to do with the mortality rate, and everything to do with - in descending order of import:

1. People being greedy
    2. People being stupid
    3. People panicking because of the actions of Groups 1 & 2
    4. People panicking because they might have to isolate for two weeks and thus wouldn't be able to get to the shops so better stock up first
    5. People trying to stock up because they are actually self isolating
    6. People trying to do their normal shopping
    EDIT: Also, 1% is a pretty high mortality rate for one that's generalised over the entire populace. There are 67.8 million people in the UK according to official statistics; if we assume 80% of them get the virus and develop COVID-19, a 1% mortality rate means 540,000 dead.

Sure, the chance of me specifically dying is probably well below 1%, despite the spare tyre I'm smuggling, but that doesn't help those 540,000 people...

LennyRhys and liratheal like this.