1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Could Intel's 10th Gen Desktop plans turn the tide against AMD?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Feb 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Honey nut poops.

adidan likes this.
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I had to look that word up, still don't know how it relates to what else you said, never mind though as I'm not sure i entirely agree that more cores wouldn't speed thing sup overall.

If we look at a single core running a single thread that's waiting to be serviced from an external resource that basically means nothing else can run on that core until it's finished that instruction (I know that's not technically true but the penalty from flushing the pipeline can be more costly than the actual stall), by adding more cores a stall in the pipeline of a single core has less effect as any new instructions can run on another (idle) core.

Basically more cores, should in theory at least, reduce stalls, no?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Should be an interesting 2020 mind, what with Zen 3 also due out later this year.

I think i'll just sit back and appreciate competition - it wasn't too long ago there was none.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD are doing well, but it’s pocket change to what Intel is making that’s facts.

it’s like comparing Smartphone profits of anyone not called Samsung or Apple. Yes they make some money but it’s not at the same level

I have not upgraded from 6700k, a cpu upgrade which would cost about as much as a new gpu, new GPU is a 100% more cost Efficient for fps gains

enthusiast market is still tiny and always will be.

AMD biggest issue still stems back from buying ATI, if they had focussed on cpus who knows how big they could be now

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm on a 6700K and 2070 combo and like you I don't think there's an upgrade path that makes financial sense in terms of bang per buck right now (especially when talking about mITX options). Very happy with what I have now, though, so it's all good.

I guess that's the thing, though: for a lot of gamers, they're not really CPU-limited and even the promise of All Of The Cores isn't really going to help much, so most of their upgrade cash is going to go on GPUs rather than CPUs. The days of needing a CPU upgrade every couple of years are long gone, at least as far as most people are concerned.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I would think you're right about that, I was certainly in that boat (the 3770 still is more than adequate in my other rig, but that ain't gaming).

Then again, 'need' is a funny old word :)

7. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

"Intel is adding hyper-threading to its Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs. This has been absent from anything below its Core i9 desktop CPUs since the 8th Generation Coffee Lake CPUs were launched in 2017."

I was not aware of this until I read the article - very disappointing as you expect this kind of feature to be gradually added rather than taken away for no good reason.

To add to this, I don't propose to be as knowledgeable on this subject as some in this thread, but I thought one of the original main reasons for introducing multi cores was so we could run multiple processes at once, rather than one specific task that would get interrupted and frustrate us:
    2 cores - priority application, plus other background tasks.
    4 cores - priority application, plus more flexibility on other tasks. More cores = more flexibility and less slowdowns.

I would go Ryzen if I had the budget available, but am 'trundling' along on an i7-870, which seems to handle most things fairly well. My work laptop has a Core i5-5600U, and 'upgrade' from the previous i7-6200U (it's an upgrade when it can at least display to external monitors more than half the time - the wonders of Intel graphics drivers). Both of the laptops have 2 cores and 4 threads. Both struggle majorly when I have a few windows open and don't feel 'snappy' at all...
    I know they are low power parts, but an i7, supposedly the premium, with what feels like all the power of a Sinclair C5, definitely very little progress for end users.

Edit: it was an i7-5600 I think rather than a 6500.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2020
  8. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

when competition starts, the big are getting afraid :jawdrop:

9. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Very true, if it wasn't for having move 6000 miles I wouldn't be considering a replacement for my i5-4670K Haswell gaming rig.

I assumed that they removed it as the easiest fix for Meltdown as Hyperthreading was the main attack vector though I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Tags: Add Tags