1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I know it's easy to say, and i'm not saying ignore it, but try not to worry too much.

It's hard when it's on the news 24/7 but we can only control what we can control so in the meantime tinker and distract yourself as much as you can.

A vaccine will come. The trouble is in the meantime i have no excuse to avoid for all those tidying and diy jobs that i've been meaning to do :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: yup, that's what I try to do, distract myself and avoid worrying for future, listen music, play games, watch movies, gardening, tinking, call friends, lurking on BT, and unwind as much possible, may be my first days without cigarettes are stressing me a bit too :rollingeyes: thanks for your words once again :happy:

3. adidan

Ah ha, I remember that. I gave up over 6 years ago (turned to vaping myself) but I remember that.

Stay strong, it's worth it but accept it will mess with your head for a little while - it's your brain learning to deal with oxygen again :happy:

Bon chance! :thumb:

kim likes this.
  4. adidan

Coronation Street - only just noticed that.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

We've decided we're currently done with this world, or rather most of the people in it. Between A) empty shelves in supermarkets and B) the number of people crowding public attractions this weekend apparently not giving two shits about those at particular risk... just done.

So we're holing up, not leaving the house or reading the news beyond the daily 'rona briefing for at least the next month.

• Found 16 rolls of TP in the back of a cupboard that was from a bulk purchase that was forever ago, which was a relief.
    • Signed up for one of the weekly recipe box deliveries still taking new customers - Mindful Chef, meals look good but they're crazy expensive. Probably why they're still taking on new customers.
    • Have sent a few queries to local places about fruit & veg boxes, if that doesn't pan out there's fresh veg in the meals, and they do frozen smoothie kits as well, which are again crazy expensive, but needs must.
    • Have a slot for a Waitrose delivery on 16 April to top up on any essentials that are required outside this if they're still in stock.
    • Got a bunch of hay from the local farm for the rabbits that should last a while, and if we run out they've said just ping them on FB and they'll fill the truck if I turn up (if I don't have to get out of the vehicle it doesn't count as going out)
    • 2kg of coffee beans coming next week, which isn't all that unusual, but the roasters I use have also confirmed for now its BAU for them
    • Pulled the house off the market. Although my assumption of nobody doing viewings at the moment is apparently entirely incorrect and we had a viewing request at the end of last week (see B above), I'm not content adding another pretty chunky wodge to the mortgage at this point in time.
    I think that covers everything.

I have an MOT on one of the cars due at the end of April, so that might be a problem. Maybe I'll just sell the car... She's been fancying a Mini anyway.

6. kim

kim hardware addict

I apologise if my words are shocking some members, but I could not resist to say something after reading Mr_tad's last post...it just left me speechless... it adds up to numerous posts from members, mostly from UK, precluded from buying the necessary supplies... I can't believe our so close neighbours are in such a disastrous situation :miffed:
    I am not following politicians speeches as I quit believing in them long years ago, I don't watch TV for years as well, and all I learn is what I read on internet, one of the last free space of expression, (not for long I bet, but anyway it's irrelevant)
    I am not antisocial, but the society is disappointing me, I have a few friends but I started social distancing years ago too, because...in summary, I had the feeling to live in "IDIOCRACY" , so I left Paris and ran into the bush, ignoring selfishly what was going on in the social and politic world, protected in my island of green fields and trees with only 3 humans per square kilometer, reading only about my centers of interest, mostly harware stuff, but since COVID appeared, I start to read about what is going on in the world.
    I spent time to read about the situation in UK today, and laugh if you want but I just learned UK was leaving the EU, and what was Brexit, and I can't avoid to be very sad of what English people are passing through, certainly elsewhere in the world other people are in the same situation, and even if it helps in nothing, I want to convey my sympathy.
    I was very pleased from the start of my membership on BT to be wellcomed by members despite my poor english, I don't belong to any french social network, and BT is the only place I express myself in public, so I feel concerned about what I read here, and I am really sorry :sigh:

Last edited: 23 Mar 2020
    Nexxo, Byron C and Bloody_Pete like this.
  7. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Most people are not used to buying for long term (know plenty who only buy for that day and maybe next day breakfast) because they cant afford it/ have nowhere to store it /etc, so they cant plan and estimate how much they will need, couple that with hysteria on social media and you get what we have now.

Well, at least you got your meat supply sorted :p.

After seeing fresh meat/fish prices/availability, stocked up on fishing supplies and salt - going fishing some time later this week...
    If this continues, might even need to start consuming my stockpile of frozen/pickled/dried stuff, how long can one live on ~200L of applejuice?

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It me.

Sure i stock up and plan ahead as best i can but when you're on a limited budget [soon to be more limited, yay self-employment] and limited storage space [especially fridge/freezer space]...

If little else it demonstrates how easily things can go to **** when Just-in-Time supply chains get disrupted, even a little.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Might be worth someone having a little chat with those in London, from what I've seen (news as well as personal contacts).

Not calling you out as such, but based on what though?

Ha! Yes, whoops indeed. Bet we'd all forgotten about that one!

I'm not going to pretend to have all (any?) of the answers, but I have learnt recently that these previously-not-worth-stressing-over lessons are more pertinent currently:
    • Don't waste or let the kids waste food (or toilet paper!).
    • Porridge is cheap (for now), volume/space-efficient and not massively in demand in shops.
    • Don't snap at the other half if you can help it, but apologise immediately if you do.
    • Don't stress too much about the schooling - if they're young enough, they'll bounce back; if they're older, most exams etc. are on hold.
    • Also on the schooling, the days will not go fully according to any plan, so adapt on the fly as much as possible.
    • Keep a sense of order indoors - try not to let things pile up because this is the pit you'll be spending the foreseeable future in.
    • Definitely make an effort to decompress frequently (and allow the other half to as well).
    I'll get those educational things up now; think the bit servers were down for a period yesterday.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Today, I've read that New York's Hospitals are 10 days away from running out of the medical masks. In some places, they've been told to make a single-use mask last for five days. They sanitize them with alcohol or seal 'em in ziplocks for 5-6 days until it's safe to use it again. Civilian volunteers are currently sewing CDC-compliant masks with cotton fabric... The country with the biggest nuclear arsenal, the biggest fleet, and the biggest air force is running out of medical supply... How the F**ck is this even possible?

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Excuse the photos rather than links but I don't have digital copies for much of this.
    For those that are interested, see below as requested. Apologies to all others for the graphical clutter.

And if I've inadvertently included anything I shouldn't have, like personal details etc. PLEASE tell me (nicely) so I can amend. Cheers.

Daily schedule:
    20200321_203243_HDR~2.jpg

Some free online resources:

20200321_203156_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203900_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204534_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203731_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203802_HDR~2.jpg

Some links to free educational sites (bit more learning-centric than just fun distractions - forgive that they're not links, you'll have to type by hand but that should give you something to do ):

20200321_204031_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204134_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204050_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204110_HDR~2.jpg

Gareth Halfacree and adidan like this.
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Some homework and tests that were sent by the school for our older one:

20200321_204442_HDR~2.jpg
    20200321_203519_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203603_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203628_HDR~2.jpg

Some Lego challenges to break the day up:

20200321_203452_HDR~2.jpg

Some Egyptian-themed reading comprehension work:

20200321_204200_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204214_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_204226_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_203315_HDR~2.jpg

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hanging pictures today, including this one;

[​IMG]

SuperHans123 likes this.
  14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Don't think any of that is copyright as such (maybe the Twinkl sheets but have left their logo on where possible) and in any case, I'm sure people won't mind given the circumstances.

And finally, a backup in case the internet/computers/other technology fail us - get up in the loft and kick it old school like we have:

20200322_102318_HDR~2.jpg 20200321_205821~2.jpg

Laters... And don't forget to exercise!

adidan and Nexxo like this.
  15. adidan

Ooooh, good shout - I have a whole box of Fighting Fantasy in the loft.

Eh? Why start now?

ModSquid likes this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

To be fair to them, most aren't uncaring, they're just ignorant. They genuinely believe that this is just the sniffles and it's all a load of nonsense.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Please tell me more about your coffee suppliers. I anticipate an intense need for coffee.

Welcome to Bit-Tech! :clap: You are living my aspirational lifestyle! I plan to retire in a few years and move to rural France (being Dutch I retain EU citizenship), to a little farmhouse + barn and some land for growing things and keeping my beehives. Please tell me more!

kim likes this.
  18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

As JCVD said, "You mean like this?!"

20200323_080316_HDR~2.jpg

Is it a character trait that bit users just don't throw stuff out?

Cheapskate and adidan like this.
  19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I am still surprised about constant hoarding in UK. Here we had exactly one afternoon of crazy when our government announced that every non-essential store is going to be closed starting next day for minimum of 2 weeks, and crazies stormed the grocery stores for some reason (they obviously remain open) and only that day i seen shortage in our local store. That day, there was no bread available, rice and non-perishable food dissapeared and half of the toilet paper was gone. Since next day after that, zero supply issues.

adidan likes this.
  20. adidan

I think there may be more, will check later...

And, yes.

We've been suffering several years of nonsense Brexit talk, i'm in no way surprised the UK's collective IQ has dropped to the level of a deckchair.

Fingers66 and ModSquid like this.