1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Grind it anyway and sell it to hipsters as "quarantine-aged bean" coffee.

Byron C likes this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Turns out that learning how to make your own bread was good preparation for a pandemic-induced lockdown...

[​IMG]

TBF it really is damn handy. I've always got salt & sugar here and both flour & yeast keep for ages... I need some more bread flour, but in a pinch I can use a mix of regular flour and bread flour. I do have a buttload of Italian 'tipo 00' flour here, but I don't think that'd make very good bread flour... Pizza bases sure, but maybe not a loaf of bread!

Nexxo, Gareth Halfacree and kim like this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

I don't know if you are aware of that but coffee can last very long time if you froze it

Last edited: 24 Mar 2020
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Still stuck at work as a 'key sector' worker. Mandated we need to wear one of those $#!$$& single-band dust masks - the ones that would struggle to keep the big chunks out let alone actual dust - but naff that, I'm going full P3R respirator (not like I'm going to be welding anytime soon anyway). At least I get to aggressively Darth Vader at everyone.
    If only I could find anywhere with any bloody flour in stock!

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I doubt I'll be able to get any more when we go shopping...

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

7. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for your welcome @Nexxo, well, I must say that if there were some days where I really missed the teeming streets of Paris and all it's attractions, today I feel really lucky and I really appreciate to be isolated with the current situation... I live in a very old village located on the top of a hill, existing since the 15th century, there are nowdays less than 300 souls here, no shops at all, and even before Covid you could experience deserted streets and a total silence except birds singing and wind...:grin:
    a few pictures
    [​IMG]
    part of the garden
    [​IMG]
    view from the top of the garden
    [​IMG]
    back of the house...
    you must know that this house was totally abandonned and ruined when we bought it, you cannot imagine all the work that have been done inside and outside, but unfortunately, it's still impossible to heat it properly during winters, or really too expensive, hard to maintain in good state, there are also sacrifices to make for living in an ancient house...but I am aware to be lucky somehow...

Nexxo, adidan, Pete J and 1 other person like this.
  8. oscy

oscy Modder

"I think the people in this country have had enough of experts from organizations with acronyms saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong." - Michael Gove convincing the public to vote Brexit in 2016

The result:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WrITUzl

(videos + hilarious sporting commentary)

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  9. adidan

If you have to hold up for several weeks that looks a lovely place to do it.

I count myself very luck being able to see green from my living room, watching the kestrels and kites.

I worry for those trapped in tower block flats in the middle of the cities - I hope they cope ok.

kim likes this.
  10. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

My yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Coincidentally, spent 3h queuing at hardware store drive-through.

11. adidan

In other news, a campaign in underway to get farm pickers as usual EU workers can't get here before food goes off. Brexit comes early it seems.

kim likes this.
  12. adidan

Just had a text allegedly from uk gov saying to stay indoors. Also a web link, ain't touching that.

Real or scammers?

Edit: Apparently legit. It was nice yesterday that i was told i saved lives just by laying on the sofa, eating crisps and watching Killjoys.

My work continues.

ModSquid likes this.
  13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Looks like the bit-tech backend hasn't caught up enough to unveil the thread for the Folding@Home article, so:
    If you've just signed up for F@H, you probably will not receive any work units immediately. So many have signed up that the WU generation infrastructure is struggling to keep up. WUs will eventually arrive as long as you leave the client running.

14. Risky

Risky Modder

15. Risky

Risky Modder

What the hell?!?

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

From what I've read, the gangs in the favelas are from the favelas so they look after their own and don't s**t in their own backyard, leading to the inhabitants trusting them more than the police or government.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC when one of the big storms [possibly one of the tsunami, can't remember] hit Japan, The Yakuza were the ones helping the locals out as they were already there and it ensured people were safe until the govt could respond properly [and iirc in return they were first in the queue for any contracts for any rebuilding work].

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah, the key word in "organised crime" is "organised".

RedFlames likes this.
  19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like "Crime" is a key word too.

Although laudable that they're doing something positive for the community it's kind of normal for larger criminal organisations to endear themselves to the community while still taking a big ol' steamer on law enforcement. I'd also expect far harsher punishments from a criminal enforced lockdown than a government enforced lockdown. But maybe that's because I don't know what local law enforcement is like in a place like that.

Perhaps I'm too much of a cynic, but any time I see a criminal enterprise doing stuff like that I immediately think it's purely a PR stunt for something that happens to coincide with their own goals (Can't sell drugs if everyone's being killed by Covid-19)

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Here’s what I’ve been doing for the past 2 days. I’ve just finished No.12 and have enough material to sew 9 more.

[​IMG]

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.