1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oh - ha!

Didn't realise that but I like it a lot. I'm increasingly amused by the way the comedic talent of the nation emerges during a crisis/newsworthy moment.

Which has just given me an idea...

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Surprised no-one did this yet...

Crisis 3.jpg

Edit: That said, I thought I should also add that my general impression is that they and the NHS are doing remarkably well in the circumstances and better than I would have believed months ago when the Brexit issues were stalling.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Day 13 of social isolation:
    My flight home which was booked for the end of April has been cancelled.
    Animal import services in the Netherlands refuse to be flexible even though the cat has everything up to date, just not the stupid certificate. No way am I leaving the cat in a 3 week quarantine.
    Just watching America drown in it's own ineptitude and unable to do anything.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Has the home school stuff been of any use to anyone? We're finding that starting early and as we mean to go on has been beneficial. Little and often (with reward points and prizes) seems key in our house.

I let the missus open the wine early yesterday as a reward for doing the schooling :lol:

There's also Zoom and something called Houseparty (of which I have no experience) that apparently lets all the kids chat to each other.

Mate - if you were heading back to the US, given what I saw about panic buying of guns 'n' ammo, you may well be better off not if that's the way things are heading.

6. RedFlames

I found Khan Academy helpful for maths, can't comment on their other stuff. [it's american tilted, so bear that in mind]

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well you'd sort of hope food is an essential, if it's not we're all going to be a hell of a lot thinner in 12 months. ;)

I get what you mean but i was really only talking on a personal level, i wouldn't really consider fertiliser production essential as it's not like all crops will fail if they don't get their weekly sprinkle, maybe if it goes on for longer than a few years it could be but ATM i wouldn't consider it to be.

8. oscy

oscy Modder

The list of shops allowed to stay open has been updated to include off-licences.

What a joke. I despise this country's alcohol addiction as it is.

adidan likes this.
  9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Got to keep the population at home somehow.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Farming is as Just In Time as any other industry, as is all non-preserved food production. Fertiliser production halt, even for a few weeks = some or all crops are not going to survive (or be planted to start with) = total food production will reduce. Limited food stockpiles can buffer thus (effectively nobody is stockpiling fertiliser on the levels needed worldwide), but expect shortages in the months-year timeframe if the supply chain is significantly disrupted. And that's at a global level. Farming - like damned near everything else - is very rarely truly a local industry: even if you go traipse down to the farm to get your carrots, the backend of that industry (chemical production, seed production, equipment production & maintenance, etc) wraps around the planet several times.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm trying to head in the other direction - out of the US.

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

13. oscy

oscy Modder

After spreading it amongst ourselves as much as possible on day 1 of the Notdown, day 2 sees us move on to spreading it to the rest of the world:

adidan and MLyons like this.
  14. kim

kim hardware addict

:eeek: incredible

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It must be have a go at Corky day. :D

Yes a halt in the production of fertiliser would result in a drop in production, i don't remember saying it wouldn't but hey ho, what I've been saying is people ain't going to drop dead simply because production of fertiliser stops for a few months, people may have less to eat, prices of food may go up because of supply + demand, blah, blah, blah.

However a stop in the production of something like fertiliser for a few months probably wouldn't cause thousands of deaths or your own death, whereas the likelihood of getting and/or spreading CV causing deaths is very real and very immediate, as such i wouldn't exactly say the production of something like fertiliser is essential.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

How could the glamour team of Cummings, BoJo, Gove et al mess it up so badly?

Unbelievable....

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I meant to ask: @Gareth Halfacree, How you feeling today, getting better, worse, or about the same?

wyx087 likes this.
  18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

As a raging alcoholic, I rather agree, but after homeschooling two cabin-fevered kids, dealing with self-employment paperwork, maintaining IT stuff so that learning can continue and trying to take as much off the missus as possible, I think I'll allow a degree of flexibility, keep up the daily exercise routine (for everyone) and deal with the above next week once the VAT return is done and I can breathe a bit. In the meantime, it is required (at least here).

Ah. Then in that case I wish you luck as you need to be out of there soon as. Heathrow is still open for business though, according to oscy's other post!

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Cough's a bit better, though I've properly tweaked something in my back. Got a bit of a runny nose now, so I'm suspicious that it's not the 'rona at all and is just a nasty cold - especially as I've had no fever or anosmia.

20. RedFlames

Glad you're not dead. Think of how many magazines would be devoid of content if you carked it ;)

Gareth Halfacree likes this.