1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm sure it's not your fault that Hexus and B-T left us temporarily; thanks for bring it back and some sanity to our world @MLyons.

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

The resurrection of the phoenix that has been bit-tech.net for the last day or so... TY to all concerned.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was a hardware fault then a software fault caused by the hardware fault. At data centre all day yesterday to get it up for this morning then going back today to clean some stuff up.

IanW, adidan, Guest-44638 and 3 others like this.
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Good doge. Have a scooby snack.

Mr_Mistoffelees and MLyons like this.
  5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yeah does my head in, with hindsight it should have been a little higher as the dog in the vise is pretty low, easy to change if needed. would be able to make any jaws for a while as I'll need a suitable softwood which given the lockdown isn't easy to get.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I set my vice level with the top of my bench but, I also have a moxon vice with wooden jaws I lined with leather. The moxon vice racks freely, vertically and horizontal, making it a very flexible tool. https://www.fine-tools.com/moxon.html (Mines the York)

See this old picture.
    [​IMG]

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yes I saw that, it made me want some Bolpol blue, I can smell the sharpness from here!

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Made myself an oak wrist rest.
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I was tempted to get a Veritas kit but for my first bench I thought Id be sensible. Though I am looking at making a bench on wheels, maybe go so far as a Maple or Oak top could slap one of those on or something absurd like a leg vise with a dead man on a slider :hehe:.

Been watching a lot of Peter Sellers on how to restore an inherited Stanley/Bailey model 10 No 4 1/2 plane, I think the only non original parts are the chip breaker and blade. Maybe the Tote as it's not the same wood as the front knob.

Seeing your strop paddle reminds me I will need one!

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I whipped the sharp edge off the area of the desk I need to use. It's super smooth, which is nice. I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it seems to have, given it's my first time with resin in this application.

However, it has highlighted my need for a shop vac. Wish I'd had space for the Karcher WD2 in England.

Ah well, they aren't expensive.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

an upset tum at work and I get told to go home for the next 48 hours, lockdown or not the weather is ace, i got cold pepsi, pizza and I'm spending the next 4 days learning zbrush. controls first expansion also drops today and the first of two major adobe training manuals i ordered back in feb arrives on saturday.

tis a good time.

Arboreal and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Never underestimate the importance of a decent chair. My back is aching a little after about an hour or so, but it's a good kind of ache - the kind of ache you get from sitting in a chair with proper adjustments and support!

[​IMG]

Gas lift grinds a little when getting in and out of the chair, I'm hoping that's just from being sat in a warehouse for god knows how long and not being used. If it carries on I'll email 2ndhnd to see what they say... I've already squirted a ton of oil down there, hopefully that'll work its way in.

Seat feels a little smaller than the chair I was using, but that's the fault of my lardy arse and not the chair :worried:

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Absolutely! I'll never regret spending some of my PPI money, in 2018, on a good chair.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

My shop vac is a Henry. It also works well as a dust extractor for my disc and belt sander.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Today i'm having a lovely cuppa after polishing off leftover curry we made last night.

Now i'll continue with my PS4 as i've finally got chance to play Far Cry 5 that's been sat in its wrapper for months.

On top of that i'm apparently saving lives by doing this. I will boss the hell out of this challenge.

* Presses X *

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Had to make a video for the moddng competition, managed to get it edited and submitted in time, despite having to spend 3 hours trying to get Resolve to play sound through my headphones and then 2 hours this morning fannying around with it after it started screwing up the sound of any clip I cropped and having to work around that by first cropping in Windows video player and then importing. Super ball ache. Unfortunately this meant I didn't have time to actually build the system, which I'd wanted to use for footage, so I had to hash some it together with stills. But I got it done. Let's just hope they don't say wtf is that crap and make me do another.

Goatee, adidan, fix-the-spade and 3 others like this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I made one of my Super Bolognese today (TM (C) etc) That means I can stuff my face with it again tomorrow and all I need to do is boil some spaghetti. Touch.

Nexxo and adidan like this.
  18. oscy

oscy Modder

I checked my pay for the year 2015/2016 and realised I never got refunded tax. And there's just a week left to claim.

Luckily I used the HMRC webchat and got it confirmed instantly and apparently it's in the post. Hopefully. :idea: Consider it my coronavirus armageddon bonus.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2020
    Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I had the joy of German taxes today.

At least I'd been paying tax as if I'd been earning all year, so I should get a decent return if this tax software is to be believed.

IanW, Arboreal and perplekks45 like this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

The wife had an amail from Waitrose this morning, telling her that she can have a priority online shopping slot due to her age. We usually use Tesco but they are useless due to no slots. Waitrose even had a decent range of stuff to order. This will hopefully mean no need to go in to a supermarket.

IanW and Guest-44638 like this.