1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant BIT-TECH THUNDERDOME

Discussion in 'General' started by Vault-Tec, 25 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Again, you're also not facing the potential - or actual - loss of all income owing to losing your job or business. You're cushty. Like you said, you've been preparing for this for a decade: you can carry on sitting at home and nothing changes.

Those who aren't so lucky, by contrast, might want to vent about it. And they might want to do so without you casting aspersions on their character, accusing them of a lack of "stiff upper lip," or playing the whose-life-is-hardest game while you prepare to spend the weekend engrossed in Half-Life: Alyx.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Come on everybody, don't make me put my mum hat on.

The pants are tight enough as it is.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I can't heal the world. Tried that, but ended up angry like Greta thunberg. Hated it for a long time, but learned that many things were out of my control. All I can do is control myself. Not the whole world around me.

My brother is self employed. He's had to take up a job stacking shelves at Tesco. His wife has lupus, he has no choice.

I could sit here stressing all day. What good will it do? None. What good will laughing do? More good than harm.

Oxford Uni reckon a good chunk of us have already had it. Like, with it spreading as it does there's no way it flared up at the end of February. Hopefully they'll get the tests out soon.

Note the words I am choosing there? Hope. Positive words.

I've stopped posting in the ruining your life thread now. It's just not worth it tbh.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And how funny was this post? Must have missed the punchline.
    Careful, that sounds dangerously like whining t'me.

For clarity: I've not taken issue with your photos of DIY al fresco bidets and the like (though those who have reported them as off-topic for Serious are entirely correct to do so), I've taken issue with the post you made about a Dunkirk spirit you have literally never experienced but which has somehow given you cause to romanticise a world event that caused an estimated 70-85 million deaths and untold suffering across the globe.

If you find it easiest to cope with current affairs by laughing it off, you do you. If others would prefer to let it out instead of bottling it up, let them.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

I've experienced plenty of bad. I know all about how the war was. My mum went through it, and boy did my grandparents. And I sat and I listened. And I took it all in and tried to understand how it felt.

The world doesn't roll by on negative.

I've not complained about people letting it out or dealing with it in their way. People took exception at my coping strategies, so I pointed out as best I could why I do that. I didn't need to did I? But here I am trying to reason with the unreasonable.

I'd rather be laughing when I die. I'd rather people remember that about me.

6. Gareth Halfacree

...you literally made an entire post (which, incidentally, opened with a whine about how hard your life has been) telling someone that they were wrong for taking things seriously and that nobody cried in WW2. Which was the one to which I took exception.

You also frequently refer to "whining," which ain't exactly welcoming for those who would quite like to use Serious to discuss a serious topic seriously rather than look at a guy hose down his rusty sheriff's badge.
    Highly unlikely. Well, unless you suffocate on nitrous oxide, in which case pretty much guaranteed.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Jesus, what the hell is wrong with a bit of humour? I've still laughed at something funny when I've been feeling suicidal. When I was 27 I very nearly succeeded in killing myself, I still get very black days, I still laugh. Humour in the black times helps to keep us going.

8. Vault-Tec

I'm beginning to think that only those who have been truly miserable are capable of being truly happy dude.

I've still got somewhere a photo of me on oxygen after taking an overdose. Mostly because it made me laugh. I looked so stupid in my star Wars emperor robe dressing gown with tubes and drips.

The last funeral I went to was lovely. My uncle was eaten alive by cancer but spent the last weeks of his life planning it and insisting we all come together. The song played was "peaceful easy feeling" by the eagles. Every time I think of him I listen to it and smile.

I could come in here and fall apart. What good will that do?

I never thought anything good could ever come from the stuff I've been through. Turns out every time something bad happens I see my inner strength.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Cracking film

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Blimey, so this is what I missed by not reading back. I've got 20 to 1 on Gareth! (It's not a fair fight, he's admin, but let's assume the banhammer is off limits within the thunderdome.)

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I wanted to join in the pointless bickering by saying: "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

There, I said it. And I didn't even have to post a picture of a bum!

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Is it wrong that I'm touching myself whilst reading this thread documenting the gradual decline of bit tech into isolation-induced insanity?

It literally sustains me.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Kill the pig....

15. Vault-Tec

That brings back memories of having to force read that at school ffs.

16. adidan

I'm loving it. I go insane if I spend too much time with people so i'm like a pig in muck right now.

And literally if the toilet roll runs out.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I feel much the same and it's great to take the dog out when it's so quiet with no-one about. On the other hand, the wife hates it. Being stuck at home and not meeting friends is going to drive her mad. In many ways we are completely different and yet, after 18 1/2 years living together, we still get on like a house on fire.

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

Same, we can happily find very different things to do on our own or things to do together.

From the shouting next door I think the neighbours don't like each other quite so much. :blah:

19. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

20. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Can't win... no-one does or everyone does.