1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

My bad, paid by direct debit. Lesson learnt. But this Is so morally wrong of them

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Nevermind morally wrong, it's not legal to withhold a deposit if they cancelled on you and not the other way round. It might still be worth talking to your bank about it. Trouble is getting money back off shysters so often mean small claims and all the hassle that goes with it.

Mr Happy likes this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So, under that scheme i'm entitled to...

...nothing.

[Because it explicitly says profit not earnings]

My income/earnings have disappeared, my expenses have not.

...also i wouldn't get anything until June at the earliest. Sure my various bills are fine with not getting paid for nearly months [narrator: they are not fine with not being paid for nearly 3 months].

EDIT: Nudging @Gareth Halfacree, filthy freelancer that he is [ ;) ], you'll wanna read up on it.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hahaha, whoops!

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

This is where a base civilian salary would help - would pay more than benefits, save having to apply for different ones and at least be a basic fall back. Plus it would save a load of government paperwork, and expense.

I don't know how these things work, no way of turning yourself into a limited company and employing yourself PAYE so you could get 80% of it?

Yeah, I doubt it works like that. :blah:

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Don't be facetious. My point was that fertiliser production is just as critical to food supply as farming and later processing (e.g. milling, baking, canning, etc) is. You don't get to pick part of the food supply chain and decide it's stinky and doesn't matter, and expect the rest of the chain to somehow not unravel.
    Had to cancel a Homeaway booking because the conference I was going to also cancelled. The owner promptly processed it, but the cheeky sods at Homeaway want to wait "5 to 7 working days" before actually deigning to look into where there actual refund is. No email address, online chat is broken across all browsers, and 45 minutes on hold.

Mr Happy likes this.
  7. Risky

Risky Modder

It's based on your average trading profits over 3 past tax years. If your business makes no money normally then no these is nothing. Unless it is retail or hospitality.

But if your business has made no money for three years then surely you have some other income you live off?

8. Risky

Risky Modder

Just cancelled by business rates DDs in case they try and take them by "mistake".

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. Risky

Risky Modder

On the farming issue, my brother in law (living next door) has a dairy farm and I haven't heard that he is complaining about any effect of the coronavirus shut down. And farmers don't normally hold off complaining........

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Erm, I'm not. That was the original point i made, did you miss it or something as it feels like you're picking holes in something simply for the sake of it.

Look it's pretty clear your looking for an argument and judging by recent posts you're not the only one, it seem self isolation is already getting to some people and we're only at the start of all this so I'm not going to get involved anymore, have fun all.

11. David

Wages are an overhead though, so you could run a business and be breaking even i.e. not posting a profit.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

I Google searched to possibly send some abuse (we all have free time now), but they're already in the news.

Mr Happy likes this.
  13. Risky

Risky Modder

Well if they are your own wages they can furlough yourself.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well they're all over the local news along the south of the country and Wales. Seems they weren't just stiffing guests but property owners too, threatening cancellation fees in the thousands to any owners who tried to take their properties out of availability.

What a lovely bunch.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

Airbnb cancelled everything and refunded all guests. That's some people's sole income ( BnB owners).

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Had this email through yesterday from a Meetup group list:

[​IMG]

Sent the NHS contact point an email earlier. I mean... I'm not an infrastructure person, but I'm more than happy to help if I can.

Nexxo and Arboreal like this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ta! I know a lot of my fellow wordsmiths are ticked off 'cos it only covers the tiny salary they've been paying themselves and not the significantly beefier dividends - but, despite encouragement from my accountant, I never went down the limited company route. I'm a sole trader, so I could indeed get 80% of my averaged profits up to £2,500 a month.

Thankfully, I'm hopeful I won't need to. The only client with a question mark over it at the moment is Future, and I don't do a huge amount for them. That may change given time, of course, but at the moment it's mostly business as usual (aside from the fact I'm writing about open-source ventilators a lot more these days - which, incidentally, means I'm a "key worker" under the govt.'s definition...)

Nexxo and MLyons like this.
  18. David

Oh, so if your own business pays you a salary you would qualify for the 80% furlough scheme?

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thats what I was wondering earlier.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually a data analysis of sales statistics (because supermarkets for obvious reasons track these things really closely) suggests that during the hoarding phase total sales increased by only a modest 10%. Most people were not hoarding as such; just doubling up on a few items that they thought they might need during self-isolation. But supermarkets work on tight, finely calibrated just-in-time supply so even a 10% unexpected increase in sales completely buggered things up.

This, basically, is a preview of Brexit. Except that the problem will be on the supply side.

boiled_elephant and Goatee like this.