1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah, I've hit so many key combos I've gotten it into all sorts of weird settings; flashing lights, arrow keys stuck on, the lot.

I think it's related to it being a US layout keyboard but Windows is probably still thinking it's UK. I'll see if I can sort that later.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Doc, thanks for a welcome change of thread direction.

Byron C likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It sounds really painful LOL

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Two bottles of Ardmore.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For reasons best left to professionals to work out, I have Metalocalypse in my head now.

"There's only two things to do in a blackout. Drink. ... One thing."

perplekks45 likes this.
  6. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

A Bose Solo soundbar to replace my pc speakers.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

US keyboard layout fixes this, I get pipe where I should, but then I have to live with " in the wrong place. What a kerfuffle.

All I wanted was an entry level keyboard to try out mechanical keys, which is exactly what I got, so I'm quite happy with it. Next time I'm piping commands in Linux I'll just use an upper case I, I'm sure the system will be quite forgiving.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pfft.

As a user of often-odd-layout keyboards - hello, IBM Model F from the 1980s - then there's a quick fix: xmodmap. In fact, this might be the only thing you need:

Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 49 = backslash bar bar bar bar"

That's what gives me a proper pipe/bar symbol for Shift-Backslash on the Model F. If it doesn't work for you, all you need to do is find out the keycode for your Backslash/Broken-Pipe key and replace "49" with that. Run xev, then press the Backslash/Broken-Pipe key:

Code:
    KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5c00001,
        root 0x1dc, subw 0x0, time 829060792, (607,1061), root:(615,1133),
        state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0x5c, backslash), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (5c) "\"
        XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (5c) "\"
        XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5c00001,
        root 0x1dc, subw 0x0, time 829060898, (607,1061), root:(615,1133),
        state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0x5c, backslash), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (5c) "\"
        XFilterEvent returns: False

So, on this 'ere Filco backslash is 94, rather than the 49 of the Model F.

ElThomsono likes this.
  9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Honestly, this sort of thing is the reason that I stick solely to good old fashioned UK ISO keyboards. That way I know exactly where everything is and don't have to fanny about looking for esoteric key combinations :)

MLyons likes this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Thank for taking the time to post that, but unfortunately these Linux systems are not my own and if I go xmodmapping things around on them all willy-nilly a small number of people will get very upset with me! :worried:

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, so you're remoting in to them from a Windows box? Should be able to use something like SharpKeys to remap the key then!

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I use a TKL US layout keyboard. Would I be able to map a key I never or extremely rarely use, eg the tilde key to a £ sign, or will it only remap characters present on the keyboard?

13. Gareth Halfacree

Obligatory "not a Windows user," but as far as I'm aware you should be able to remap to keys not physically present in your chosen layout. You certainly can with xmodmap.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Given that I've just been told I'll be furloughed from April 1st due to the plague:-
    • A magnifying headset
    [​IMG]
    • A rack for my model paints & brushes.
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It is a really relaxed drinking whisky. Perfect for the end-times.

MLyons and liratheal like this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've remapped one but it still functions like the existing key - useless junk in a UK interpretation and the correct symbol when Windows is told it's a US keyboard :hehe:

I guess I need to write my own keyboard for Windows?

17. Gareth Halfacree

...that's weird. If it's still acting like it's not remapped, then it's not remapped. Sadly, this is where my knowledge ends: I haven't had to remap keys in Windows since... 98SE, maybe?

Install Linux. That'll fix it.

IanW likes this.
  18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've not made myself clear, it's mapped alright, but it's mapped to act like the existing [backslash pipe] key but it gives me the US junk when I press it. Unless I switch Windows to the US layout and then both physical give me pipe.

I think it's a bit of a moot point, as this keyboard is for home use, and I'm not likely to need that key, were it not for Coronavirus forcing me to work from home. Which could be for three more weeks or three more months, who knows?

Maybe I'll get a taste for it, which would warrant a larger keyboard, and perhaps an impossible search for the perfect keyboard? That sounds like a fun hobby.

Or a second keyboard with only that key, hidden under the desk that I can press like a bank teller who's being robbed at gunpoint?

Arboreal likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Remapping means changing what a key does to something else in the keymap; if you've remapped the key to do Backslash-Pipe but are still seeing "the US junk" when you press it, rather than a backslash or a pipe, then you haven't remapped it. (Or, rather, Windows is ignoring the fact you've tried to remap it.)

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I changed the "open menu" key that sits between Alt and Ctrl, now it gives me either # or | depending on the windows keyboard...thing. I dunno the term for that but it's certainly changed its function?