1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Plumbing Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr. Coin, 26 Mar 2020.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

While helping a family member with a network issue I notice a white powered on the water manifolds. Does any one know what it is? Do I need to get a plumber in to replace the manifolds? Note our water supply has hard water, very hard (I have to descale the kettle weekly).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Descale weekly? Ooh that's severe, normally I'd say white powder is corrosion, but it looks like they're on copper pipes and copper won't corrode like that. I'd think given your water condition they are just small water leaks. Have you tried just a small tightening of the connectors ( very small)?

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I didn't think pex compression fittings could be tighten up. I was wondering if the powered was the result of pin hole leaks, just enough to allow water out and evaporate leaving the scale.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Does the white powdery stuff have a blue/green tinge? If so, it is cupric chloride which is a by-product of corrosion and is typical of a leak where the water has a low pH. Wear gloves when cleaning as it is toxic.

If it is just white, it is called effloresence which is disolved minerals leaving a deposit (e.g. calcium, sodium). It can also be caused by residual flux left on the pipe, condensation or an actual leak.

My suggestion would be to clean all the white stuff off, then monitor it to see if it is actually a leak - tissue paper wrapped around the pipe may make it easier to spot.

If it is a leak, best get it fixed or replaced by a plumber given how complex the manifolds look. If those pipes supply water for human consumption/usage, maybe get it tested for acidity to see if you need to avoid a future problem of dissolved pipes (worst case senario).

silk186 likes this.
  5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Thanks Fingers66. I think it is only white, but then I am also colour blind and might not be seeing the blue.
    If the white powered was only on the cold water manifold then then I could believe that it is condensation, but it is also on the hot water manifold and it appears some white powder is on the stud behind. I guess it plumber time.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Wash it off and see it it leaks (tissue paper test), before calling a plumber who charges to answer the phone and may charge more to come out during the current situation

Tags: